986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Boxster owner saying hi (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61515)

Cosmo Kramer 05-05-2016 05:00 PM

New Boxster owner saying hi

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all, thought I would introduce myself on this forum. Been on Rennlist for awhile, currently have a 1988 928S4 5 speed project car and former owner of a 1985 928 and a 99 996. Picking up a 99 Boxster tomorrow, it's a 5 speed 2.5 and nicely kept. Should be a nice addition to the stable as long as my wife allows me to have the keys once and while!

Anyways here is the obligatory pics, I opted out of the wheels and getting the stock turbo twists.

jdlmodelt 05-05-2016 05:31 PM

B-E-A-U-tiful! Welcome! Enjoy the heck out of that car! :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer (Post 494777)
Hi all, thought I would introduce myself on this forum. Been on Rennlist for awhile, currently have a 1988 928S4 5 speed project car and former owner of a 1985 928 and a 99 996. Picking up a 99 Boxster tomorrow, it's a 5 speed 2.5 and nicely kept. Should be a nice addition to the stable as long as my wife allows me to have the keys once and while!

Anyways here is the obligatory pics, I opted out of the wheels and getting the stock turbo twists.

rexcramer 05-05-2016 05:35 PM

One Cramer to Another

Welcome. I would like to go back to the stock rims also.

Cosmo Kramer 05-05-2016 05:50 PM

Yep they were too blingy for me!

Bit of info on the car its a high miler (160,000 miles) and the current owner bought it with a blown engine. He purchased a engine, clutch and transmission from a wrecked 70,000 mile car and put the whole assembly in with a new water pump, aos, belts etc (he works a an independent Porsche shop). Since the swap he has had it for 2 years and put about 5000 miles on it. Has new Bilstein sport shocks and a new top as well. Car is super clean for the miles and drives excellent, it started its life in California before making its way to Canada.

I couldn't turn it down, paid 8k CDN which is about equivalent to 6k USD and it comes with a safety check and emissions test. Felt I couldn't go wrong.

KevinH1990 05-05-2016 07:08 PM

It looks like the previous owner updated the headlights to litronics and changed the tail lights and side markers to the "de-ambered" models.

Jager 05-05-2016 07:11 PM

Welcome! I like the wheels!!!

Cosmo Kramer 05-05-2016 07:25 PM

Thanks I wasn't sure if the 99's came with Litronics as an option or someone adapted it. The clear lenses definitely update the look.

Retroman1969 05-05-2016 09:54 PM

Beautiful example, love the color, and good move on the wheels. ;)
I personally always preferred the stock look, with the thought that a team of hand picked, highly trained and educated stylists and engineers have a little better eye than part-timer Zach "stinky" Brannigan down at Hoop-D's Wheel World.
I have a couple of '99s and they have been tanks. Hopefully yours will give you good service as well.

flouese 05-06-2016 02:59 AM

Drive it like you stole it!

KevinH1990 05-06-2016 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer (Post 494810)
Thanks I wasn't sure if the 99's came with Litronics as an option or someone adapted it. The clear lenses definitely update the look.

Litronics were available in 99, but it looks like yours were retrofitted. I believe the factory litronics came with headlight washers and you don't appear to have those. Of course, the previous owner could have removed the washers. There should be a sticker under the front hood that has all the option codes on the car. You can use that to confirm the options you have.

Do your litronic low beams rotate when you turn on the high beams?

Cosmo Kramer 05-06-2016 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990 (Post 494824)
Litronics were available in 99, but it looks like yours were retrofitted. I believe the factory litronics came with headlight washers and you don't appear to have those. Of course, the previous owner could have removed the washers. There should be a sticker under the front hood that has all the option codes on the car. You can use that to confirm the options you have.

Do your litronic low beams rotate when you turn on the high beams?

I will check when I pick it up today,didn't notice on the test drive. Great info!

thstone 05-06-2016 05:56 AM

Welcome! Great looking car and good choice on the wheels. :)

jb92563 05-06-2016 06:14 AM

Wow you stole it for that price , so driving it like you stole it should be the rule of the day for you everyday.

Sounds like you got a few upgrades as well to boot. well done indeed!

Welcome to the club.

If after a few months of acclimation you are not feeling like you are driving it to its potential, and we all know you wont be, unless your already a racer, you should get some training. It will UP your enjoyment level considerably and potentially open you up to a new hobby.:D

Joe B 05-06-2016 07:12 AM

Beautiful car; I like the wheels that came on it.

AmongstEnemies 05-06-2016 07:15 AM

Timeless, Congrats, how do you feel about the removal of designation on the back?

I think that's what they call it. Where the "boxster" or "boxster S", in cursive, has been removed.

Cosmo Kramer 05-06-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmongstEnemies (Post 494869)
Timeless, Congrats, how do you feel about the removal of designation on the back?

I think that's what they call it. Where the "boxster" or "boxster S", in cursive, has been removed.

The owner said when he got it the emblem was broken so it only said "Box" without the ster, lol so he just took it off.

As for the wheels i didn't mind so much the style but the 19" seemed too big for me. 17"-18" suit an early Boxster better IMO.

AmongstEnemies 05-06-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer (Post 494875)
The owner said when he got it the emblem was broken so it only said "Box" without the ster, lol so he just took it off.

As for the wheels i didn't mind so much the style but the 19" seemed too big for me. 17"-18" suit an early Boxster better IMO.

lol I would have just left box.

How does the size of wheels translate to daily driving and gas mileage? or are you speaking purely looks?

paulofto 05-06-2016 09:53 AM

Hey Cosmo, so you finally stopped looking for your s#it brown Ford in the mall parking lot and bought a Boxster. Cool. Say hi to Jerry, Elaine and George for me.

Nice car btw and you did amazing for that price. Nice to see another Canuck on the forum.

Jim Rockford 05-06-2016 03:28 PM

Greetings from a fellow Canuck.

I agree with you on the wheels, stock is smaller and suits the proportions of the car well and the car looks more at peace.

Great pics. That is a spanking deal. Well bought.

Get that ASSMAN plate and you're in great shape!

GTA_G20 05-07-2016 06:14 PM

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll love it like the rest of us up north. I'm already racking up the mileage.

"Winter is coming"