Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #21

My technique involves $200 and a trip to a detail shop.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
My technique involves $200 and a trip to a detail shop.
Ouch. Nothing's easy, eh?
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #23

what I want is this as a clearcoat...

http://www.grcblog.com/bloggers/2/files/honey_sh.mpg

first drop of honey is on glass, the second one is on a new material using roughened wax nano structures. Made by propellor heads at GE.

Turns out that slick surfaces in nature are not smooth at all under a microscope... it's all about reducing surface area, so nothing can stick. Expect it to be a $2,000 option for the car... but it'll be worth it!

Original is at http://www.grcblog.com/fullview.php?blog_id=18

Last edited by oranje; 05-25-2006 at 05:57 PM.
oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:27 PM   #24

Hey there, I feel your pain! Juggling car care with a busy life is a struggle. It sounds like you've got a great handle on the situation with your 2002 S – smart move considering the Arizona sun can wreak havoc on a paint job.

Here's my take on the quote you got for the full detail:

$120 sounds pretty fair considering the work involved. Washing, clay barring, swirl removal, and sealing is a good chunk of work, especially for a pro who knows what they're doing. Plus, those before and after pics on their website are promising!

Focus on the Time Savings: You mentioned being short on time, and that's totally understandable. This detailer can free you up to enjoy your clean car instead of spending a weekend hunched over it.

Now, onto your questions:

Swirl Removal Frequency: This depends on the severity of the swirls and how you maintain the car wash routine. A good sealant helps protect the paint from future swirls, but it won't magically erase existing ones. If the detailer gets those swirls nice and buffed out, it could be a year or more before they become noticeable again, depending on your washing habits (touchless washes are your friend!).

Repeat Process vs. Reapplication: Spot on! You don't necessarily need the whole decontamination process every 6 months. After a good wash and clay bar (which removes surface contaminants), you can simply reapply the sealant to maintain that protection. Think of it like sunscreen – gotta reapply for continued protection, but a good base coat can last a while.

Here's what I would recommend:

Go for the professional detail. It'll save you time and get your car looking fantastic. In the future, you can maintain that showroom shine with regular washes, clay barring every few months, and reapplying the sealant as needed.

My friend actually recommended checking out azautodetailing.They seem to tick all the boxes - great reviews, in-shop or mobile options, and all the services I'm looking for.

Ask the detailer if they offer any recommendations for car wash soaps and techniques to minimize future swirls. Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to keeping your pride and joy looking sharp!
Keshari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:53 AM   #25

Keshari.....you do know that you replied to a post that is 18 yrs old!.....There's a good chance the OP has moved on or no longer even owns the car.....LOL
Old 05-04-2024, 09:20 AM   #26

There are single step polishes are available with most of the brands with new technology which can remove swirls and give a good finish.

bivin is offline   Reply With Quote