Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #1

Advice On Connecting iPod

I spent Sunday afternoon installing an auxiliary input for an iPod in my 2000 and my friend’s 2002. We used these instructions: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190 The cars have Becker CDR-220 radios.

Both of our cars have the dash storage bin as shown in the attached picture. (My friend’s car has cup holders, so he doesn’t have the CD storage device. In addition, his climate control is at the bottom of the stack instead of the top.

Originally, I was going to run the iPod connector up through the ashtray as shown in the referenced post. However, I didn’t want to carve up the bottom of my ashtray. The cable and connector are currently running out the back of the center console, and around the right side to the front.

Instead of running the connector to the ashtray, I’m considering cutting a hole in the top of the storage bin and letting the connector through that way. It seems to me that the only way you could see the hole is by lying on the floor and looking up. When I’m not using the iPod, I could tuck the connector up in the top of the bin and it would be out of sight. I’m wondering if anyone has done this or would like to comment on this approach.

Also, when we did the install, we used the un-switched power supply due to an oversight. (The instructions above suggest using the switched supply.) I’m thinking that it would be better to use the switched power supply to avoid having the circuit powered continuously.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #2

I too have been considering using the storage bin to hide my connector. I have been looking at this iPod unit and am still trying to figure out placement for all of the components.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YmZkcLINRNf/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&I=108DP1US#Tab

For the connector - I was thinking of taking it one step further and make a homemade dock for the storage bin. The hole would only be as large as the iPod and the connector would be mounted in back. In theory, you would be able to slide the iPod into the hold and have it dock - so you would not have to mess with manually connecting it. The interface would then be routed thru the display screen and controls via the control pad.

I haven't started this yet, but plan to do so next month (after some business trips). If I am successful, I will try to post some pics.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #3

I just recently installed the Drive + Play into my 2000 Boxster, and I love it. I attached some pictures of where I decided to put everything, I made it so that I could pretty much use it without taking my eyes too far off the road. I installed the "brain" of the unit underneath the 2 storage console bins, and I ran the wire for the ipod connection through the center console to the back of the passengar seat so I could put my ipod in the pocket in the back of the seat. Overall it was pretty easy to do. I would suggest getting a ground loop isolator because the wine from the alternator was very loud when I first installed it without one.

Mike
tifosi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #4

Has anyone managed to get the Dension Icelink FM working on the CDR-220 head unit? I can get my hands on one here but I need to know if it will work as the store doesn't have an exchange policy
ghoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi00
I just recently installed the Drive + Play into my 2000 Boxster, and I love it. I attached some pictures of where I decided to put everything, I made it so that I could pretty much use it without taking my eyes too far off the road. I installed the "brain" of the unit underneath the 2 storage console bins, and I ran the wire for the ipod connection through the center console to the back of the passengar seat so I could put my ipod in the pocket in the back of the seat. Overall it was pretty easy to do. I would suggest getting a ground loop isolator because the wine from the alternator was very loud when I first installed it without one.

Mike
Sweet install Mike. I never thought about putting the display on the left. I think that I will do the same. I still need to find a place for the control mouse - as my car has the window and heated seats controls on the console.

Also, did you do the install yourself or did you have a shop do it?
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #6

I did it myself...it was all pretty easy and only took a couple hours. Another place I considered for the controller was the left side of the radio where the cigarette lighter would be but on the opposite side.
tifosi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #7

That's good to hear that it's an easy install.

Although, I think that I may have a shop install mine. Unfortunately, I can't mount the controller to the left of the radio - as my variable wiper control occupies that spot. I am thinking a install shop may be able to find a way to mount it to the door or some other inconspicuous place. It's times like these - I wish Porsche had steering wheel controls for the audio.

Depending on the shop, I am wondering if I remove my cup holders and relocate my stereo to the bottom, if a good shop could fabricate a cover to house the display + the ipod??? Sorta like you see on the carputer sites with the 7"liliput touchscreens people drop into their dash.