Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #21
creseida

I live in central VA, and there are 2-3 other Boxes that I see fairly regularly; a burgundy one a silver one and a blue one like mine. They usually have their tops up. I see more Cayennes than Boxes but this is SUV heaven around here.

My car spends 95% of the time with its top down, and I am forever wondering why anyone would pay the extra money for a convertible and never use it? I mean, really, 75 degrees, no humidity and not a cloud in the sky, and you see people drive by with their tops up and windows down.

The only other make I see that have their tops down on a regular basis are the S2000's. Even Miata owners tend to leave their tops up around here.

Last edited by creseida; 06-03-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #22

Well, I understand when people have their tops up. Perhaps they have really fair skin and don't want a burn or tan. Perhaps they need their hair to not be mussed up when they get to their destination, etc.

I feel bad for the people for whom the "novelty" of a convertible has worn off, and they end up never putting the top down. That's my sister with her Miata. Bummer.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #23

Around here I see more 996 and 997's than Boxsters.. but there are tone of Porsches in general in the NYC/North NJ area.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #24

...my husband and I are forever wondering why anyone would pay the extra money for a convertible and never use it?

That's why they came out with the Cayman, so now you can pay extra for a fixed roof.

I feel bad for the people for whom the "novelty" of a convertible has worn off, and they end up never putting the top down.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Driving a cvt can be a brutal assault on the senses, especially without a wind-deflector. What looks fun for someone else may not be what these people bargained for.

In the "most likely to drive with the top down" category, I'm going to go with Chrysler Sebring owners (although I think that availability in rental-car fleets contributes to this). In the "least likely category" I'm going to say Merc CLK convertible owners.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #25

As a former LAian and current SoCaler, I find it odd that LA has so many convertibles but on a relative basis, so few people drive top-down. Not sure that I could quantify it, but it was enough to notice. Have other LA people noticed this too? I guess it's because of the very real possibility that you can get hit by a stray bullet driving through some parts of town.

I have always owned convertibles and always lived in L.A. and in the last 10 years the top is definately staying up more frequently when driving in town. As trafffic congestion becomes worse, it becomes really unpleasant to have the top down in the broiling sun, inching along, surrounded by fume-spewing diesel trucks and buses, and cars with their stereos blaring.
I now reserve my top-down driving for off-peak times and more pleasant and condusive environments like Santa Barbara, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc, where you can be on the (somewhat) open road with the wind in your hair.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
As a former LAian and current SoCaler, I find it odd that LA has so many convertibles but on a relative basis, so few people drive top-down. Not sure that I could quantify it, but it was enough to notice. Have other LA people noticed this too? I guess it's because of the very real possibility that you can get hit by a stray bullet driving through some parts of town.

I have always owned convertibles and always lived in L.A. and in the last 10 years the top is definately staying up more frequently when driving in town. As trafffic congestion becomes worse, it becomes really unpleasant to have the top down in the broiling sun, inching along, surrounded by fume-spewing diesel trucks and buses, and cars with their stereos blaring.
I now reserve my top-down driving for off-peak times and more pleasant and condusive environments like Santa Barbara, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc, where you can be on the (somewhat) open road with the wind in your hair.

I can second that...I always see more top of driving in covertibles then i do top down. My top usually stays up for the very reasons you stated. I like to keep my down at night...
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
Porsche sightings...

I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and maybe see one boxster every 2 weeks. I've never seen a Caymann on the road, I've seen one 987 on I-290 about 2 months ago, and a 996 once every 3 weeks or so. They're not that common out here in the burbs (if there are some, probably garage queens). I'd bet I see a Cayenne once a week.
asnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #28

I live in a small town in South West Georgia, and there are only three Porsches here, my Boxster,a 996 and 911 Speedster.
But I'm in Tallahassee FL twice a week and I usually see at least one per trip.
Mark Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #29

Since we're in North Georgia and the Boxster doesn't have 4WD or a gun rack, we're pretty lonely. :ah:
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #30

it depends on where im driving. if i stay in my city i MIGHT see one, usually a 987...but if i go to the next city over (rich city) ill probably see 4 boxsters and severall other porsches.
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:25 AM   #31
creseida

'...As a former LAian and current SoCaler, I find it odd that LA has so many convertibles but on a relative basis, so few people drive top-down. Not sure that I could quantify it, but it was enough to notice. Have other LA people noticed this too? I guess it's because of the very real possibility that you can get hit by a stray bullet driving through some parts of town...."

Like a fabric top is going to stop a bullet? I guess it is simply the sensation of being "enclosed" that gives people a false sense of security.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #32

I think there is another 986, a 944, and a Cayenne on the lightly populated island where I live. See more Porsches during tourist season. Usually see one or two P-cars if I drive in to Wilmington. Closest dealer is 2 hours away.

As Delerious noted, there are plenty of 4x4s with gunracks (usually holding fishing tackle and a 4' level) and dogs in the back.

All the SoCal comments took me down memory lane to my coastal San Diego days in the 70s and 80s. I gotta say the weather had something to do with going topless. Neither my 914-6 or 911 had or needed a/c. Nor did my home except during Santa Annas. And sometimes the coastal (left of I-5) fog did not clear until noon. Yes you could head east on some interesting, hilly, driver's roads and get to warm/hot weather, but cruising the PCH was soooo much fun. Top on or off.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How often do you guys see Boxsters on the road in the area that you live? I recently headed to San Fransisco for part of the weekend and spotted 3 Boxsters,that more then I have seen in any one day before. Around town in Sacramento I will be lucky if I see two a week. Just wondering how common Boxsters are around the world.
They are pretty rare in Pittsburgh mainly due to the fact that we average only 59 sunny days a year. Also, our winters are pretty cold...

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #34

I was just in Springfield,Missouri over the weekend. I attended a friends wedding. Out of the 4 days I was there I only saw 1 987 and 1 996. Pretty good for the middle of the country where there are hardly any nice cars around town. I probably only saw 3 BMW's and 2 Mercedes the whole time. You'd be surprised at what kind of home you can get for 400K out there.
05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #35
olly986

lately a little too many....common cars ? like bimmers! not yet well still too many for my liking so i am changing to an aston db9......

NOT!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #36

Driving around Houston, Galveston area 120 to 150 miles a day I see an average of two or three boxters a day, 911's and SUV's are by far more common.
boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #37
creseida

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
lately a little too many....common cars ? like bimmers! not yet well still too many for my liking so i am changing to an aston db9......

NOT!!!
Personally, I prefer the V8 Volante convertible....hot car!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #38

I have a 20 minute drive through west Houston and see about 1 boxster a day. Galleria area is the jackpot. Porsche SUV's are everywhere.. I've even had one turbo Cayenne owner try to race me..
Old 06-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #39
olly986

[QUOTE=creseida]Personally, I prefer the V8 Volante convertible....hot car!

it is a babe puller alright, actually maybe even a stud puller if you are behid the wheel yourself.......smack!!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #40

I've seen at least 4 Boxsters and 2 Boxter S in the area I live (The Greens), and another 3 Boxsters in the Dubai Internet City. Boxsters are not a rarity here, but then again, neither are Ferraris, Maseratis, and other performance marques relative to what I've seen back in Singapore

ghoonk is offline   Reply With Quote