Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Should be Working Instead of Posting....

I've been thinking about getting a 06 or 07 Cayman. Would like an S but a base is not out of the question.

I drove an 07 base last night with 84K miles. asking price $19.8K I noticed the following:

-starter bushing screeched when started (just like my 150K '02 Box)
-underbelly plastic looked like my 150K mile Box (kind of rough, some broken pieces)
-slight oil wetness directly under RMS area (just like my Box)
- engine had a mild ticking noise at idle. Noise got quite a bit louder when I listened at the oil filler with cap removed. (my Box doesn't do that.....)
- seemed stiffer than than my Box. Shifter was tight....otherwise was very much like driving my car.
- factory sport exhaust not very impressive. (I love my inexpensive Beluga exhaust)
- cup holder cover very loose, otherwise interior looks really nice. (much nicer than my car)

Owner says all maintenance has been done by local P dealer or local independent in Tulsa. Has original clutch.

This is the first Cayman I've driven. Maybe I should drive an S.....

Or maybe I should think about upgraded suspension and sport seats for my old '02 and forgetting about a Cayman for now.....

My non-updated IMS car always has a clean filter autopsy and is still faster than I am when it comes to driver eds...

germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

The price jump to an S seems pretty big when I look at the adverts. If you are used to a base Boxster at 245 hp for the base Cayman it's a nice jump in power. The Cayman your looking at sounds like it might need a decent amount of work. The leaky RMS/IMS would worry me. If it's the IMS I believe you need to split the case to change it.

Whatever you do get a proper PPI by a local independent that knows these cars. Definitely have the oil filter cracked open.

Good luck. I've been eyeing Cayman's and a base 997 Carerra's myself.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Run

I have both a 03 boxster and a 06 CS
For the price and mileage I think you can find a better deal. Add that to likely needing a clutch REAL soon plus all of those other issues and well you know where this goes. The CS is a jump in power and torque. When I get back in my boxster I have to adjust my foot to press the pedal just a little harder.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

Purchased a '06 Cayman S 6 spd

I know this is an old post but I thought it would be a good spot for this.

I ended up purchasing a 2006 Cayman S with 10,750 miles. Sport Chrono Package

The power is really nice. In non-"sport" mode it feels pretty similar to my '02 Box base. It's easy to drive in town and in traffic. I feel like I have to work it to get the most out of it...just like the Boxster.

In sport mode it revs much quicker. It's a little harder to drive in town and heavy traffic.

The steering and clutch both feel heavier no matter what mode.

And even though the car is low mileage the headliner is already falling down. I've
read this is very common.

germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote