Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Brand New..

Hello Everyone.
I just bought a 2000 S in speed yellow with 44000 miles on it... I'm in love. 3rd Porsche I've owned and back in the family after years of mustangs and recently a Miata. What a car the S is... I love it.

I know the car has creaks rattles etc by default and have read and researched a lot but....

I have the most annoying rattle I cannot figure out. Hoping someone can help. It's coming from the passenger side sounds like perhaps battery area or compartment next to the battery or the wheel well area on the passenger side. It sounds like something hanging down as it only hits when I accelerate or decelerate during driving. At cruise there is no sound. I thought perhaps side marker bulb was out of the lense but that's not it... Has anyone had this problem or any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks a lot...

Last edited by gman1113; 02-20-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to add question
gman1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Is the battery secure?
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Plastic frunk battery covers? Check the plastic screws, headlight loose?, cd changer rattling? Evap tubes check from under car
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Is the battery secure?
Yes Battery is secure just put new one in
Old 02-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

No cd changer. Will check underneath. Headlights are good. Battery cover is good. It's like somethings dangling some where. Thanks for input guys
Old 02-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1113 View Post
Hello Everyone.
I have the most annoying rattle I cannot figure out. Hoping someone can help. It's coming from the passenger side sounds like perhaps battery area or compartment next to the battery or the wheel well area on the passenger side. It sounds like something hanging down as it only hits when I accelerate or decelerate during driving. At cruise there is no sound. I thought perhaps side marker bulb was out of the lense but that's not it... Has anyone had this problem or any ideas on what it might be?
Thanks a lot...
I had the same thing happen to me. Something loose in the wheel well that only made a noise accelerating or decelerating. Turned out to be the fan resistor which just clips on a bracket under the car. It got unclipped and was just hanging. If you remove the wheel, you will spot it very easily. Here's what it looks like.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

Thanks newB I will check that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Check that your spare wheel is secured and the tool roll is not rattling against the inside of the wheel.... or take them out and then go for a drive.
If the noise is outside the car, check the 2 x drop links are OK and not rattling going over smallish irregularities in the road
Old 02-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #9
Project Addicted

On and off throttle sounds like a bearing or CV joint. Don't focus too hard in one area, look all around the car as noises are very hard to track down...

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote