986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tiptronic Removal (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60506)

Boxy_02 02-19-2016 05:52 AM

Tiptronic Removal

I have what I hope is just a RMS leak, but plan on doing that and the IMS Bearing Upgrade at the same time.

I have searched the forum on this topic and found a few things...

Some said pull the Transmission with the Engine as a unit.

Has anyone hear pulled the transmission from the Engine with no major issues?

I have all the books, and have found the required tools.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dealer wants $5k - $6k!!!

JFP in PA 02-19-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxy_02 (Post 484371)
I have what I hope is just a RMS leak, but plan on doing that and the IMS Bearing Upgrade at the same time.

I have searched the forum on this topic and found a few things...

Some said pull the Transmission with the Engine as a unit.

Has anyone hear pulled the transmission from the Engine with no major issues?

I have all the books, and have found the required tools.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dealer wants $5k - $6k!!!

We have done several, and I have to tell you that the dealer's quote is not that out of line. The Tiptronic trans complicates an otherwise simple process, significantly lengthening the time required to pull the trans for IMS/RMS updates, which is why most shops quote substantially higher prices to do a Tip car vs. a manual gear box car.

Boxy_02 02-19-2016 09:54 AM

JFP - Thanks for the reply.
What is the most difficult part of the removal / install of the Transmission?
If I have an 18" Lift, is that sufficient to do the job?
Dealer thought it was just a small leak at the RMS, but I don't want to have an IMS Failure at 103,000 miles.

Retroman1969 02-19-2016 10:45 AM

I don't know if you have any Porsche indy shops convenient to you, but it might be worth getting a quote or two. My shop does RMS/IMS Upgrade on a Tip for around $1,600. $1,200 on the same job for a manual car.
Perhaps there are significant price differences for different regions...?

JFP in PA 02-19-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxy_02 (Post 484406)
JFP - Thanks for the reply.
What is the most difficult part of the removal / install of the Transmission?
If I have an 18" Lift, is that sufficient to do the job?
Dealer thought it was just a small leak at the RMS, but I don't want to have an IMS Failure at 103,000 miles.

18 inches is a bit low, but doable with some effort. The Tip has coolant lines, communications cables, and other appendages (like the oil cooler) that are in the way and make working around the trans a real treat and a time killer. You need to also pull the starter to get at the torque converter bolts, which is also a pain in the butt.

Unless the dealer has a crystal ball, it is impossible to tell what is leaking without taking the car apart.

JFP in PA 02-19-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 484411)
I don't know if you have any Porsche indy shops convenient to you, but it might be worth getting a quote or two. My shop does RMS/IMS Upgrade on a Tip for around $1,600. $1,200 on the same job for a manual car.
Perhaps there are significant price differences for different regions...?

Assuming your local labor rates are lower than most, that would work out at around an extra couple of hours out and then back in, which is about right.

And, yes, there are regional labor rate differences, often rather substantial ones.

Giller 02-19-2016 11:31 AM

You should bring your car up to Ontario, Canada. I was quoted last year by my indy around $1800 (CDN) for my tip. So what's that, like $50 US??

NewArt 02-19-2016 12:32 PM

Actually, Giller has a point. If you're in Buffalo, just drive across the border and automatically save 35%!

Boxy_02 02-20-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 484422)
Actually, Giller has a point. If you're in Buffalo, just drive across the border and automatically save 35%!

It's really not a question of price.

I don't mind doing the work myself, I guess I will clarify my original question...

Can the Transmission be removed without the Engine (like the books say - I have the Bentley Manual and the 101)? I've seen it on the forum here both ways: with the Engine or without. What's the most difficult part? Anything in particular that I should be aware of?

Thanks Again!

Xpit77 02-20-2016 05:27 AM

I had mine done at Mantis. ( Oakville ON. ).They didn`t drop engine. They told me they had done so many they had figured out all of the best ways to do it. I highly recommend them. As mentioned your $ goes a long way here now.

NewArt 02-20-2016 05:40 AM

Most difficult part, as JFP mentioned, is accessing the bolts. IIRC, there's a 4 square bolt in there as well. 18" is tight, 24" would be best. Remove the rear bumper and muffler helps a lot.

Boxy_02 02-20-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 484475)
Most difficult part, as JFP mentioned, is accessing the bolts. IIRC, there's a 4 square bolt in there as well. 18" is tight, 24" would be best. Remove the rear bumper and muffler helps a lot.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully not a dumb question, I do have to ask what is a "IIRC"?

Keith Newby 02-20-2016 07:58 AM

just slang for If I Remember Correctly.

Boxy_02 02-20-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Newby (Post 484485)
just slang for If I Remember Correctly.

Thanks! I am not up to speed on all the latest acronyms.
:cheers: