986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How hard do you drive your Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60499)

BRAN 02-19-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niche (Post 484399)

+100 for the color :D

yeah...Autobahn is a must once in a while... to blow the rust out of the pipes.

And it is exactly there, where you get the strong conviction what needs to be improved.
I am even willing to tune the DME now, after a SKODA octavia combi RS gave me a hard time passing him...A FAMILY CAR.
At 250km/h even my old 2.7l passes most other (newer & more powerful) cars...as they are restricted to 250km/h max...but not Porsche ;)

I am ok...i am ok...oh man it was a nightmare :D

Sassmatt72 02-19-2016 01:07 PM

I got to assist a Porsche Tech tearing down a engine...

long story short, 3 chain version of our 6 cyl. 3.X?L ...

snapped Ims shaft only 35k. (both ends)

Quote of the night...

"just like every one where they tell me they baby it."

lmao

fingers crossed he can salvage the heads.

Porsche Chick 02-22-2016 08:15 AM

If we didn't want to drive them fast, we wouldn't have bought Porsches! :D

My favorite moments are when the PDK is cruising in 7th (some kind of gas saving thing, I think) around 40mph. Then I lift the foot off and stomp it back down. The PDK responds in a nanosecond and downshifts to 3rd, and I'm quickly at 70 mph, then 80, then 90, in 4th gear. Considering I've got 3 more gears to go, I'm not gutsy enough to top it out.

I consider it a good drive when I've scared myself a little. :cheers:

Hubs loves to run the PDK in manual mode, so it's more like his 911. These cars have some amazing torque.

Honestly, I think the PDK, in manual mode, is a little quicker than a standard manual. Yup. You heard me . . . :eek:

JayG 02-22-2016 08:27 AM

A PDK will shift faster than any human can shift a manual transmission

Porsche9 02-22-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 484673)
Honestly, I think the PDK, in manual mode, is a little quicker than a standard manual. Yup. You heard me . . . :eek:

Yup and it gets better gas mileage. Unfortunately for me the PDK offers fewer smiles per mile.

Retroman1969 02-22-2016 03:24 PM

I drive it... Not hard, but "with spirit". I shift between 2500 and 3500 in town, but getting onto the highway or blasting up that occasional twisty mountain back road, I stay in it to 5,000 rpm or so to really feel that steady seemingly unending pull. I dearly love those moments! I love the sound it makes beginning at 2800 rpm! But I don't race it and I don't push it very much most of the time.
I almost never use 5th in town. 4th gear feels about perfect for the 2.5 engine at town speeds.

cfos 02-22-2016 03:45 PM

I usually take a bat to mine, you know, before we go out, so it knows I mean business. I then take my keys and scratch the *&^% out of the paint, because it thought it was better than me. I then gun the engine from a cold start. I mean, a *%$# needs to know who's boss! AmIright? ;)

Ok... as I pull out of the driveway, I usually hit 30 mph and, no, I don't give any ^$%* if the front end bottoms out. Car needs to know who's boss. After I am going at lest 35 mph, I start lowering the top. I &$*ing love hearing the wind try to get the top to leave the car. Sometimes it does, but you know, I think the car needs to learn a few lessons every now and again - so it doesn't get all uppity.

Once I'm driving, I look for the closest street race, cuz I know better than everyone else. If no one accepts my revving challenge, I like to knock into their rear tire, you know, with my bumper. Usually, I've got their attention by that point. After that, I start huffing cats at his car. I usually keep 5-8 of them in bag when I go for a drive. I wish I could tell you how many rpms I'm at by this point, but I punched the dash after it was acting like a %^&*.

flaps10 02-22-2016 04:26 PM

I follow the advice I got when driving air cooled VWs: "Drive it like it's mine, and you hate me"

luckyed7711 02-22-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos (Post 484730)
I usually take a bat to mine, you know, before we go out, so it knows I mean business. I then take my keys and scratch the *&^% out of the paint, because it thought it was better than me. I then gun the engine from a cold start. I mean, a *%$# needs to know who's boss! AmIright? ;)

Ok... as I pull out of the driveway, I usually hit 30 mph and, no, I don't give any ^$%* if the front end bottoms out. Car needs to know who's boss. After I am going at lest 35 mph, I start lowering the top. I &$*ing love hearing the wind try to get the top to leave the car. Sometimes it does, but you know, I think the car needs to learn a few lessons every now and again - so it doesn't get all uppity.

Once I'm driving, I look for the closest street race, cuz I know better than everyone else. If no one accepts my revving challenge, I like to knock into their rear tire, you know, with my bumper. Usually, I've got their attention by that point. After that, I start huffing cats at his car. I usually keep 5-8 of them in bag when I go for a drive. I wish I could tell you how many rpms I'm at by this point, but I punched the dash after it was acting like a %^&*.

Freakin' hilarious! I'm still laughing.

flaps10 02-22-2016 07:40 PM

Agreed. Very funny

jb92563 02-24-2016 06:25 AM

Moderately hard driving, not quite at full-on racing level.

When I'm first at a stop light I do high performance take offs to test the 0-60 time.

When the radar detector is going off I just do 0-(speed limit +5) and then see who breaks out of the pack behind me to give chase and as they shoot past me doing 30 over the limit I wait for the flashing lights to chase THEM. I'm evil :D

When cornering on a green light I usually take it right to the edge of traction loss.

If the back end hasn't unstuck now and then on my commute its probably because I'm fiddling too much with the Music selection on the Dual Din touch screen and not focusing on the drive.

Shift Revs from standing start are usually into the 6K region, and downshift into the 5k+ region when initiating passing at highway speeds while cruising.

These cars/engines can take it and enjoy a good workout, plus sound awesome with aftermarket mufflers.

Cuda911 03-04-2016 11:56 PM

I abuse mine. That's what I bought it for! :)

Autocross and big track. And back-country roads.