Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Aerokit rear spoiler motor

Hi folks, I've got an aerokit I on my 2001 boxster and had the rear trunk carpet removed today to inspect things in there.

I noticed the motorized contraption that's there to raise/lower the stock rear spoiler is still there. Is this correct that it should have been left there when the aerokit I was installed, or should the rear spoiler motor have been removed?

Seems a bit unnecessary for it to stay there, but curious if this is the way that Porsche had intended.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

Not sure, but that is some weight you could shed
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

I was thinking the same thing! (interested in keeping it fairly original, though, too)
Old 02-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #4

Garage
I read somewhere that when the aerokit is installed the dealer usually just disconnects the rear air dam mechanism. Probably just removes the fuse.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Garage
I have the same setup, motor just disconnected and fuse pulled along with the dash light removed. The Porsche TSB shows leaving it in also.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Pulling the fuse disables the trunk lid release. If your spoiler doesn't go up, it's because the motor is disconnected.

Don't know about Aerokit I, but the Aerokit II leaves the original spoiler functional. Does the Aerokit wing depend on the original to do its thing, or does it replace the original? I don't know the answer, but I figure it doesn't hurt anything to have it working, so I haven't disconnected it.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like my aerokit I got installed as Porsche specified, but if anyone could locate the installation instructions for aerokit I and post them, it would be interesting to see.

As for aerokit II, I just googled and the rear spoiler seems quite a different animal. aerokit II rear wing seems like it might be added onto the factory rear lid, and it indeed seems to keep the factory rear spoiler, and factory rear brake light location (part of the factory rear lid). Aerokit I replaced the factory rear lid with a custom fiberglass version that relocates the factory rear brake light into the fixed rear wing, and the aerokit I rear lid is also longer than the original rear lid, covering up the area where the original spoiler used to be. The original motorized spoiler physically gets removed, and a black plastic trim piece covers the area underneath the lid. (Removing this trim, is where I initially noticed the two motorized supports for the original spoiler were still present underneath). When I had the rear carpeting removed, the rear spoiler motor had wiring harness physically connected, but as far as I can tell it's not operational.

Maybe the engine control unit is reprogrammed as part of the aerokit I installation to keep the spoiler motor from working?

Last edited by jakeru; 02-21-2016 at 09:31 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote