986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Doing something stupid then admit (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60478)

Xpit77 02-17-2016 04:47 AM

Doing something stupid then admit

Sometimes you have to drop a dime on yourself when you screw up.
Over the last two days here in my part of the " Great White North " we received 50cm or bout a foot and a half of snow. No big, snow thrower gone.
Now here`s the dumb part. There was about 6 or 8 in on the drive. The machine was acting up a bit and room is tight in my race shop that`s attached to my house. Most call it a garage. So back the car out and service the machine.Machine out then car back in right.
So I back the car out it`s rolling out fine about 10 feet then it quits. It`s dash lights are flashing like a Vegas slot. Hmmm, weird. Try to re-fire nothing flash flash. Now even the tip gear ind. light is flashing from P to 5. Feck !
Out of the car for a walk around and inspection. It seems it injested some some snow up my tailpipe. I thought it was air intake. I have a CAI but. I tried to re-fire but it was running out the battery.
Charger on let it sit. I knew if it sucked water or the CPS was askew I would need to continue to roll it over , let it sit , continue.
It worked ! That 143000 km 99 started. I knew it would but.
Lesson learned. Back into my garage. And Porsche cars a test of fortitude.:rolleyes:

Timco 02-17-2016 09:01 PM

If the exhaust is blowing out, how could any moisture get past the muffler and cats? Am I missing something? Couldn't get past the intake / filter. How low was batt? How long has it sat?

Just wondering out loud....

PaulDash 02-18-2016 01:40 AM

@Timco, if water gets into a hot exhaust and you let it cool, the air contracts so much that it sucks the moisture up the exhaust manifold.

@Xpit77, are you sure it wasn't electronics getting wet? Flashing lights don't sound like mechanical problems.

Xpit77 02-18-2016 03:51 AM

It may have ran about 15 seconds.I think now it may have been the cps.

Timco 02-18-2016 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpit77 (Post 484238)
It may have ran about 15 seconds.I think now it may have been the cps.

With a bad CPS it just turns over and over but never starts, no dash lights. Also, the tach won't move.

I can see how it can draw in as it cools, but a very small amount and not while it's running. Something electrical got wet or battery about flat.

boxster6354 02-18-2016 04:11 AM

Sounds more like a bad battery, I can remember my dash lights flashing about when my battery had issues.