986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tilt steering Wheel (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60470)

rockstar68 02-15-2016 06:50 PM

Tilt steering Wheel

Did Porsche ever offer atilt wheel on the 986?

rockstar68 02-15-2016 07:02 PM

Sorry for newbie ignorance. I'm doing LOTS of reading to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. Thinking of selling my '74 Vette and buying a 986. I've had a Healy 3000 an MGB and an early RX-7 in the past. Looking for something smaller and more nimble than the Vette, higher quality, more prestigious and comfortable than a Miata, but I'm reading/hearing horror stories of IMS bearing / RMS failures, high maintenance requirements and costs. True or exaggerated? Is the S worth the extra money? Did Boxster offer a tilt wheel for 986? Is the TipTronic the buzz kill some say? I live in the Beautiful Ozark mountains and really cool roads are abundant. I'm considering looking at early SLK (though they ALL seem to be automatics) and a Z3/Z4. SO......set me straight Porschephiles

Joe B 02-15-2016 07:13 PM

Some searches on this forum and some reading will answer most if not all of these questions, and more.

For example: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50176-986-steering-wheel-tilt.html

78F350 02-15-2016 07:41 PM

I was about to say it, then saw Joe B's edit. They telescope, but not tilt.

Quote:

IMS bearing / RMS failures, high maintenance requirements and costs. True or exaggerated?
It depends. If you happen to be one of the 1% to 3% that have the IMS bearing fail, then it is not exaggerated. Preventative maintenance and 6 mo oil changes seem to do a lot to keep the more expensive failures at bay. ANY 12-19 year old car is going to vary in reliability based on how it was driven and cared for. Be ready for an average of $2k per year, expect a lot less. DIY can cut down cost a lot.

Quote:

Is the S worth the extra money?
Depends on what you want. The S has more power, heavier suspension, better brakes, Lots of S's stuck here and there.
The base is fine and fun and gets better mpg, eats tires a little bit slower.

Quote:

Is the TipTronic the buzz kill some say?
I have more fun with the 5-speed. I am a lot more comfortable in traffic/in town with the tip. Thumb shifting works fine. It is slightly more parasitic, but still pretty close to the power. I'd say not buzz kill, but not as fun.

Quote:

I live in the Beautiful Ozark mountains and really cool roads are abundant.
I'm in Indian territory, just across the border from you. I know these roads. :cheers:

rockstar68 02-16-2016 06:43 AM

Way Cool! Thanks 78F350. Maybe we will run across each other!

Joe B. I don't mean to be annoying. Just trying to learn. Thanks for advice and i will be searching more. See Ya!

jdraupp 02-16-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockstar68 (Post 484043)
Way Cool! Thanks 78F350. Maybe we will run across each other!

Joe B. I don't mean to be annoying. Just trying to learn. Thanks for advice and i will be searching more. See Ya!

Well there's number one way to be annoying is to post multiple threads with the exact same question inside. Just friendly advice lol.

These are great cars and this is a fantastic community to learn from especially if you plan on working on yours yourself. Biggest advice if you're searching is to buy the newest lowest mileage boxster you can afford. Good luck to you and welcome.

JFP in PA 02-16-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 484014)

It depends. If you happen to be one of the 1% to 3% that have the IMS bearing fail, then it is not exaggerated.

From data published during the class action against Porsche, the numbers are more like 1% to over 8%, depending upon the bearing configuration involved.

jdlmodelt 02-16-2016 04:53 PM

I put new brakes and rotors on mine the first year DIY, $215 total.
I installed a new driver's seat belt first year due to Airbag CEL, $45 total
Bought Durametric, I think that was about $350.
oil every 7k-8k miles About $35, syn oil and filter
starter this year $75
rear tires this year $300
I've had it nearly 3 years now, 95k miles. Had 58k miles when I bought it, PO had a new engine installed at 37k Miles.

99, base model, 2.5l, 5 spd standard. SO stinking fun to drive and turns heads.

JayG 02-16-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 484110)
I put new brakes and rotors on mine the first year DIY, $215 total.
I installed a new driver's seat belt first year due to Airbag CEL, $45 total
Bought Durametric, I think that was about $350.
oil every 7k-8k miles About $35, syn oil and filter
starter this year $75
rear tires this year $300
I've had it nearly 3 years now, 95k miles. Had 58k miles when I bought it, PO had a new engine installed at 37k Miles.

99, base model, 2.5l, 5 spd standard. SO stinking fun to drive and turns heads.

What oil do you use that is $35 for 9 quarts and a filter?????