986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is the Z-top back? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60285)

batshapedheart 01-29-2016 10:58 AM

Is the Z-top back?

https://www.facebook.com/Z-ART-automotive-design-LTD-Hongkong-124875237552630/

They just posted a number of pictures, I am very intrigued

stelan 01-29-2016 11:07 AM

For what I have been reading for ever they tried many times but for some reason they failed to deliver the product many times, even rumors of paid for tops that were not made or delivered but it may be that only rumors, including manufacturing in south africa, then canada then china then who knows

jb92563 01-29-2016 11:32 AM

Yes, the rebranded "Z-Tops" are back.

A company called Xtreme motor car is just started delivering the 986 version of Cayman Style hard tops in Jan 2016. They have been producing a 987 version previous to that.

Porsche 986 Boxster Z Top Cayman Style Hardtop New | eBay

They are on ebay. Its the ZienTop design being made in China. He partnered with Zien and/or bought him out as I understand it and sells the Z-Tops now.

I emailed the guy and he is has a new batch of 986 tops.

He told me he can sell me one delivered for $2700, but being near the Port in LA probably has reduced the shipping in my case.

I asked to see one in person and he said he could connect me with a customer in my area to see if I could take a look at his install.

I have not pursued it yet because I just installed a 03 top with glass but perhaps late this year I may get one.

The install PDF is too big to attach so if you want a look PM me your email and I'll email it.

If anyone has installed one I'd be interested to hear how they like it and what was needed to finish the install.

Ray

"Hi
for the pricing right now on the 986 or 987 Z-tops
I have been air shipping these with door delivery
the best I can do is $3195.- Fedex air.

I should have 17 tops here by the end of January,
if you can wait I can bring the price down to $2695.- delivered Fedex Freight.

Here is an attached install pdf from the old company
there have been some slight changes but the install process is roughly the same

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to order
thanks,
Jeffrey
Xtreme Mototcars

"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g...2/s-l1600k.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3...c42/s-l500.jpg
[IMG]"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wxSgjRDrF5Y/VqvU0FDcwpI/AAAAAAAADvw/eK5Ueu4uNog/s800-Ic42/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f...2/s-l1600c.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...2/s-l1600d.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6...2/s-l1600g.jpg

DarkStar 01-29-2016 03:10 PM

I hope this lasts long ebough, new home and hopefully new job leaving me broke. But if I could get my Hardtop sold for a good price to fund close to half of this I would so be down.

Does anyone know if these still seal the rear trunk from the cab like the stock trunk lid does?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

10/10ths 01-29-2016 04:27 PM

Say......

........they ought to build a coupe that looks like that. I think that would be a hit. Think of all the folks who hate wearing sunscreen.

:ah:

particlewave 01-29-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 482027)
........they ought to build a coupe that looks like that. I think that would be a hit. Think of all the folks who hate wearing sunscreen.

:ah:

Are those OEM wheels? What about your IMS bearing and shifter? Why not just buy a car that didn't have the IMSB issue or one with a tight shifter?

Get my point? ;)

ksjohn 01-29-2016 07:28 PM

I intend to buy one of these, but it probably won't be until March. I love the look of this mod! The Boxster is a sweet looking car, but this improves it, at least in my opinion. I hope by the time I buy one, there may be some feedback on this version from someone.

I traded a few emails with the seller earlier this month. $2700 delivered if you buy direct. I asked him about fit and finish and he said they are good in that regard. He does sell a lot of other fiberglass parts and has good feedback, so I have some confidence in what he says.

And yes, sure I could by a Cayman. But that would cost over twice what I will have in my Boxster after purchasing the top and getting it painted. Plus, I will still have the convertible option if I choose to use it. Try that with a Cayman.

10/10ths 01-29-2016 07:41 PM

Particlewave...

.....Yes, those are OEM wheels. The car came from the factory with a short shifter. The IMS bearing is a mechanical issue.

I don't see your logic.

MY point was that it seems silly to mount a roof on a convertible. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a top that goes down at the push of a button.

And, an obviously failed attempt at humor on my part.

Cheers.

particlewave 01-30-2016 10:13 AM

A convertible is only good in the spring and autumn. This is why a lot of owners have hard tops on the side. Why not have one that actually looks good?

jb92563 01-30-2016 08:34 PM

Why not have more roof options.

I think it looks great, perhaps even add a Cayman GT spoiler.

Convertible is right! rag top up, rag top down or removable Cayman style Hardtop...who wouldn't love to have more options. I'd say it a unique advantage.

I think it looks great and will piss off your neighbors and friends as they will think you bought another even more expensive Porsche.

itsnotanova 01-31-2016 05:17 AM

I hate to give my biggest competitor free advertising (QualityPorscheParts) but he beat me out on a 2000 speed yellow Boxster S that has a Z-top. Give him a week to get it shipped to him and he'll probably have it listed on Ebay. He paid a lot for that car and probably won't let it go for too cheap though.

10/10ths 01-31-2016 10:50 AM

Easy fellas....

....I was kidding.

Yikes.

And I'm sorry, but my top is down today. I don't understand this whole....what was it....."winter"?.....thing.

:p

jdraupp 01-31-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 482140)
I hate to give my biggest competitor free advertising (QualityPorscheParts) but he beat me out on a 2000 speed yellow Boxster S that has a Z-top. Give him a week to get it shipped to him and he'll probably have it listed on Ebay. He paid a lot for that car and probably won't let it go for too cheap though.

So we should all group up and low ball him on every part of it so he takes the hint and backs off when you are bidding? Lol.

DarkStar 01-31-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 482140)

Hmmmm, reallly... they are local to me. Might hit them up to see what they would do it for.

As for the drop top, rag top is gayer than aids. Why not buy a coupe like a cayman? I would if I could. I got one hell of a deal on the Boxster with 60k miles and I needed a nice reliable car instead of the race car and the crawler which both weren't legal to drive on the street. Hard top cars are nicer. Hard tops on convertible cars look much nicer than any rag top will ever look. S2K has a bunch of awesome tops that make it look super freaky.

I've completely removed my soft top. If I want to cruise with the top off, we'll the OEM top is super light and easy as heck to take off. If they did a hard top drop top like some cars, that would be awesome but porsche won't do that.

itsnotanova 01-31-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 482165)
Hmmmm, reallly... they are local to me. Might hit them up to see what they would do it for.

The guy is a major hermit and even ships when it's local. I know someone who called him up and he wasn't too friendly about someone calling him. His number is pretty easy to find but tread lightly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 482164)
So we should all group up and low ball him on every part of it so he takes the hint and backs off when you are bidding? Lol.

LOL, I wish we could. It's unfortunate that he and I live so close to each other. I think with us bidding against each other so much that we've raised the value of wrecked boxsters in the central US market. I see so many boxsters in California or the east coast go for cheaper than around here.

DarkStar 01-31-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 482230)
The guy is a major hermit and even ships when it's local. I know someone who called him up and he wasn't too friendly about someone calling him. His number is pretty easy to find but tread lightly.

LOL, I wish we could. It's unfortunate that he and I live so close to each other. I think with us bidding against each other so much that we've raised the value of wrecked boxsters in the central US market. I see so many boxsters in California or the east coast go for cheaper than around here.

Lol I found out this. I even went to the location to inspect a local business. I'm seriously 3 minutes away to him from my desk chair. I've called and I needed a part right then. As in broken down and needed it to save my job, and he said no, he will ship. So I decided not to order from him ever unless I need to.

itsnotanova 01-31-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 482231)
Lol I found out this. I even went to the location to inspect a local business. I'm seriously 3 minutes away to him from my desk chair. I've called and I needed a part right then. As in broken down and needed it to save my job, and he said no, he will ship. So I decided not to order from him ever unless I need to.

WOW, he and I are polar opposite. I've installed lots of parts for people at no charge just to help them out. I've also driven more than an hour to a race track so a guy could get back to racing. All for a $25 part! He ended up giving me $300, so I was happy. I constantly make deliveries all over the state. I really try and help out when I can. Honestly though, I wish I could partner up with him. He could handle all the shipping and the back of the house stuff and I would handle customer relations. The stuff he's good at is the stuff I hate and it sounds like he hates dealing with people, which I like.

DarkStar 01-31-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 482232)
WOW, he and I are polar opposite. I've replaced lots of parts for people at no charge just to help them out. I've also driven more than an hour to a race track so a guy could get back to racing. All for a $25 part! He ended up giving me $300, so I was happy. I constantly make deliveries all over the state. I really try and help out when I can. Honestly though, I wish I could partner up with him. He could handle all the shipping and the back of the house stuff and I would handle customer relations. The stuff he's good at is the stuff I hate and it sounds like he hates dealing with people, which I like.

I've done the same, I've been involved in the DSM community for so long, 800hp car rolling around the city delivering parts. Even woke up at 3am and went outside in the snow to pull a part from a shell I had and gave it to someone that was passing through NM. Helped them install it and even tho they had money offered to me, I refused cause it was all they had left to get home.

I ended up losing my job because I called in. Eventually mildly patched the broken part, so far it's still holding on. He probably is just afraid of being robbed. People here are nuts. Just the other day I pulled over to text someone, while I was sitting some ghetto nut stain pulled up and some guy started scoping out my wheels and didn't notice me in the car. When he did he split fast.

sickbananas 02-02-2016 08:13 PM

If it is of any interest to anyone, I can offer some advice, I have the first z-top ever made as I live in South Africa. My boxster actually belonged to my father at the time. We had to go back and forth to the Zeintech factory for them to fit the top, check clearances etc, them make adjustments and try again. For this we got the top at a discounted price.

Without any major issues, I lived with the small things that were wrong, I actually only found out they went under through this forum funnily enough. Here is a list of things on the z-top that was still under development and should have fixed some of the problems I have.

-New hinges for the lid
-Cover for the centre catch

Cover was for the centre latch was made, but I never had a chance to get my hands on one, it would only be a cosmetic change. Upgraded hinges for the lid, this was the biggest problem as the geometry is not correct, it has cause the z-top seal for the lid to get pinched and torn as well as when opening and closing the lid, the lid and roof pinch each other, especially on a hot day when everything expands.

Other irritating things is that the gas lifting struts have gone soft and do not hold the lid up anymore, so I have replaced them, will get the spec of what I replaced it with. The electrical lume doesn't look finished and pops out of its grommet all the time.

Last problem on my top was (not sure on the correct name) the puzzle piece that sits under the rear side windows. This piece was removed and the top was extended to make it one thing, smoother with less joints in other words to make it look right. We were told that for the export market they would not do this, as it requires you to drill out the rivets on the oem piece, see from the pics, tops are still coming out of the same mould. So a piece has to be added onto the top that was not part of the mould, to cut a long story short, it looks great, but was never faired in properly before spraying.

I will post some pics of all these problem areas.

germaneighter 02-25-2016 12:31 PM

Is it my imagination or is the price of the Z-Top on EBAY going up? It shows $4,995 or best offer.

Also it seems like it has showed (8) sold for a couple months.