Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Garage
Another wheel offset question

I know this question has been beat to death but here is a set of wheels that seem like they might fit but I have a hunch they won't. I know you can't put a 11" on the rear, but what about a 10.5"? The wheels in question are Techart for wide bodies and the specs are 8.5 x 18 ET50 and 10.5 x 18 ET42. I am at stock ride height on a 2003 base Boxster. Love the Techarts even though I know they are heavy. They are only $1900 for the set. What do you guys think?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

I've fitted 10" with ET30 and a 10mm spacer on the rear. Got about 5mm clearance left. Depending on the tire manufacturer/profile you are likely in shoe this with, I'd say all is based on luck. Keep your receipt just in case.

Unhelpful I know but nobody will be able to confirm this with you. Some tires are wider than others, suspension you have (stock,m30, coils, etc). Gets complicated

Love those techart wheels as well. If you are talking about the 5 spoke ones anyway.

Luck there mate
Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks nine8six. Yeah these are the Formulas ( 5 spoke ), I figured it would be touch and go on the fit. Offsets look as though they would work (w/spacers anyway) but it is the 10.5" width I am worried about. Saving receipt not an option since they are used. I don't very often see any Techart formulas that will come close to fitting a 986 in 18" for sale used and new are just too much.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

Agreed that there are a lot of variables here, and no one can tell you for sure if it will work in advance or not.

I have a spreadsheet that I made from measurements on my car, and plugged in this wheel size and offset with certain tire dimensions, and it looks like it would work on my car up to about a 10.4" tread width measured on a reference 10" wheel.

All tire dimensions are different, so carefully check the numbers on TireRack or the tire manufacturer's web site.

As always, your results may vary...

Please let us know if it works or not with a particular tire to add to the data base. If you have problem making it work, you may be able to have someone roll the fender lips in if it is close.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote