Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #1

How do I check for a vacuum leak?

I keep getting 1411 / 0410 which makes me think I either have a vacuum leak or a broken pump. I'm not exactly sure how to check for either of those... should I just take it to the dealer? :-/ I was able to replace my Air/Oil seperator so I'm not completely dense as long as I know what the problem is.

binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM   #2

I found my vacuum leak with a can of starting fluid, just mist the vacuum lines and around the throtle body etc. What scan tool are you using?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
I found my vacuum leak with a can of starting fluid, just mist the vacuum lines and around the throtle body etc. What scan tool are you using?

Hi,

That is the traditional method. One can also use an unlighted Propane Torch, Butane refiller, even a Bic lighter - of course, extreme care (open air, fire extinguisher within reach, etc.).

What OHB failed to mention is that you're looking for a surge, or drop, in the idle a second or so after you spray the substance on the suspected leak. Repeat spraying the suspected area a couple of times to confirm your results. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote