Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

GT Projectors - finally installed

I finally installed the GT projectors. It was a fun project but took me a week to finish. Thanks to all who've posted on this topic. IMHO it really updates the look of the front end. I also installed LED DRLs. I have a black 04 S and decided to paint the interior of the headlight black as well. I love the look over the dated halogens.

'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Very cool!
You do realize we are going to need more pictures, right?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Yeah, I knew you would say that, Particle. I've read just about every post you have on the GT projectors and I have seen your work. Very impressive. Once I get my corner trim pieces put back on and the car washed and waxed then I will post a few more pics.

The hardest part of this project was getting the paint to look right on the inner shroud. After the 5th coat, I put the shroud in the oven for 20 minutes on 225 degrees and that cured the paint very nicely. I used VHT satin black paint. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge. Couldn't have completed it without reading your posts.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Looks really good. With the corner piece out it looks like a cross between Darth Vader and Sarge from Beetle Bailey. Edit: Darth Vader and Tow Mater.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #5

wow...looks great.

Yes, more pics please.

I also have my Projectors in a box as I debate on the color of the reflectors on my black S.

This may help me decide.

In all the installs I don't recall reading much about alignment of the projectors so you get a good light pattern that does not blind oncomming traffic.
How is that done?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #6

Garage
One of the best upgrade for our cars.
Love mine!
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #7

Looks good! I see you painted your inner parts satin black. Did you try different colors or finishes? I'm thinking about going gloss black on mine.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

I can't wait to do mine that looks amazing. I'm just to scared to open mine up, so I'll be buying a broken headlight to practice on I think!
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Looks good! I see you painted your inner parts satin black. Did you try different colors or finishes? I'm thinking about going gloss black on mine.
Yes, the inside is painted with HVT satin black. In reading all the posts here, I was told that the matte black didn't have an even tone, and others have said that they have had great success with satin. So, I did not experiment at all and went on other's recommendations.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
wow...looks great.

Yes, more pics please.

I also have my Projectors in a box as I debate on the color of the reflectors on my black S.

This may help me decide.

In all the installs I don't recall reading much about alignment of the projectors so you get a good light pattern that does not blind oncomming traffic.
How is that done?
In your owner's manual, there are good directions for alignment. Follow those instructions as the headlight housing is the same, and so is the alignment process. When you initially put the projectors into the housing, and before you seal it back up, you need to horizontally align the light pattern. Once you are satisfied with a good horizontal line, then you can close them up and finish the install. Once complete, find a nice wall to shine your lights at and follow the instructions in the manual.

I do remember seeing a few posts about the alignment on here, too.