Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Buying Advice

Hello,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on an 04 base boxster manual trans, 55k miles. Seller is asking 9k. I am going to offer 8K. Ok here's the rub. Car has a rebuilt/salvage title. Two car accident with front end damage to the porsche classified as mild to moderate, no pics available. It was totaled so I imagine the air bags went. Insurance co. sold at auction and cars was repaired and inspected with a rebuilt/repairable title issued. The car has only 600 miles on it since the accident.
Seller says drives fine. I know this car screams PPI, but I am 700 miles away and have to do most of this over the phone without seeing the car. Knowledgeable porsche tech. some distance from seller.

Anybody have any advice on how to proceed if he takes the offer (gulp)

Thanks
Clint

gseclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Salvage

My Boxster does not have a salvage title but I had a few cars in the past with salvage titles, if the repairs were done right it is not different than a car with a regular title other than your re-sale value goes down the drain, bad investment but great if it is to enjoy it.

offer 7k and if seller takes it it was destined to be yours, lol
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Project Addicted

I would want a 50% discount off current KBB private sale to buy a salvage titled car.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Also check with your insurance. Mine won't insure a branded titled car.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Garage
It takes very little damage to total a Porsche. You'd be surprised how quick the insurance companies will pull the plug on one of these things. All I'll say is mine was a salvage title, I paid 8k for mine and it's been the best risk I've ever taken...

As far as insurance goes I have full coverage through geico with a 500 dollar deductible. My rate on the box is lower than my wife's escape.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Get someone on your behalf to tell you it drives fine. Where did the car live its life?Dig around its home some indy or stealership will know the car. I have never seen a dealership provide records. Maybe a 930 turbo with 2800 miles at a dealership records will come with the sale but you will pay. Remember there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche, in the end they get you. Take you time. For me the car is worth every penny, and there have been many peenys
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

Garage
I just watched a show on Velocity channel, Junkyard Empire. The guy bought a Totaled 2007 997 Turbo for $30k. Totaled only because a pissed off girl friend slashed the leather interior and ripped out the stereo

go figure

If it's been in an accident I would think you need to do a visual and drive it
How about es scrolling the cash upon your inspection?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I just watched a show on Velocity channel, Junkyard Empire. The guy bought a Totaled 2007 997 Turbo for $30k. Totaled only because a pissed off girl friend slashed the leather interior and ripped out the stereo

go figure

If it's been in an accident I would think you need to do a visual and drive it
How about es scrolling the cash upon your inspection?
Saw the same show. Hard to believe. Could have been custom interior? insurance glitch?Fraud to get out from under the porsche? Wouldnt the gitl be liable? insurance would go after her? like I said, hard to believe but we saw it on T.V. so it is true!
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:57 AM   #9

Garage
there is always car fax
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #10

I've bought cars from the insurance auctions that had no visible damage at all. Insurance companies will total a vehicle because the bumper cover got ripped off. You need to find out what damage was done and fixed. It could be nothing or it could be something you need to run away from. Price seems a little high unless it's an S. You can find a base box with no damage for that price
Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #11

Pass. There are too many Boxsters for sale to risk it on the unknowns of this salvage Boxster. I have bought several damaged cars including an Audi S4 and Porsche 993 cab. The damage was minimal and they worked out well. But, there are horror stories out there of buyers getting stuck with poorly repaired cars. Unless you can have a PPI done on the car... pass.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

Another, is what is your intent? Planning on keeping the car 'till the wheels fall off/engine explodes, or may find something different in a few months, or year. Salvage title cars are a tough sell. Nobody will jump on it unless the price is super cheap, and then they have questions. Best to know what the damage was and documented and where the repairs were done(reputable shop), etc. That's the only way I would ever consider buying a salvage title. too much to the unkown!
joespaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 AM   #13

Garage
You should look at the 2000 s just posted in for sale.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote