Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

Incorrect fuel gauge reading

Had my fuel level sending unit replaced a few months ago and afterwards noticed the gauge and on board computer didn't seem quite accurate. Today I tried to leave the gym and it wouldn't start. AAA brought me 2 gallons of gas and it fired right up. What would make the new sending unit not read correctly? Taking it to the shop tomorrow.needle read at quarter tank and on board computer said 92 miles to empty when it ran out of gas

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

Garage
Your gauge needs recalibrated after putting a new sending unit it. Only the dealer can do it with a Porsche tool. Let me know what they charge you if you have it done. I've needed to do it for a while but can't decide if it's worth it. My gauge currently travels from 3/4 to 1/4 and I just watch the trip miles to determine when to fill up.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Mine also seems to stay between 3/4 to 1/4 also. I can put 16 fallons of gas in it and it won't ever go above 3/4. My Indy mechanic has the Porsche tool I believe
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Mine also seems to stay between 3/4 to 1/4 also. I can put 16 fallons of gas in it and it won't ever go above 3/4. My Indy mechanic has the Porsche tool I believe
My indy uses the Durametric and wasn't able to do the calibration. You need to do it with a PIWIS tool. And it involves draining the tank and adding a precise amount in order to calibrate. If your indy has one that's cool, most don't due to the fact you have to lease them from Porsche to the tune of 17k a month.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #5

i need some help!! my gauge indicator is going crazy!! my indicator don't work proparly anymore, oncehe indicates 0 fuel with autonomy of over 400km and once my indicator sticks to my temperature indicator!! What is the problem?

kelly-roger is offline   Reply With Quote