986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   white smoke (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60003)

Jimbo409 01-03-2016 06:23 AM

white smoke

Had my boxster on a battery tender for 3 or 4 weeks while we were out of town. I went to start it yesterday and a bunch of white smoke came pouring out. I know the AOS causes this but it has never happened before.Is this from sitting for a few weeks or does it really need an AOS replaced, Is this normal if so what is the cost roughly to have this done by the dealer or independent. Thanks Jimbo

pony13ca 01-03-2016 06:27 AM

My car always smokes when I started after sitting for more than 3 weeks or so. I have read that this also happens to other members.

JayG 01-03-2016 06:31 AM

did the smoke continue, or stop after a few minutes

it is not uncommon to get some white "smoke" on startup. often is it just some water that condensed in the exhaust

jotoole 01-03-2016 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony13ca (Post 478520)
My car always smokes when I started after sitting for more than 3 weeks or so. I have read that this also happens to other members.

Same with my 2000 Base. My Boxster often sits for weeks on end.
Always smokes on startup after that length of time. Doesn't use oil though. Couple years ago my AOS failed. Was in busy convenience store parking lot. Very heavy smoke. Traffic in came to halt, very embarrassing.

jotoole 01-03-2016 07:00 AM

duplicate post

stelan 01-03-2016 07:19 AM

The smoke is due to the AOS, it does not mean is bad, it means is a POS deign wise, it will always spray the inside of your intake with oil and if you let it set for a while it all runs down and gets burned on startup

Jimbo409 01-03-2016 09:00 AM

White smoke

The car ran rough but then the smoke stopped and it ran perfect.i am going to open up the oil cap to feel the suction,someone said that's a good way to check.
If the AOS is bad would it smoke all the time or just at start up.jimbo

thstone 01-03-2016 09:04 AM

Some white smoke or even a cloud is normal after the car sits for awhile. It should always clear up in a moment or two.

Replacing the AOS may or may not help this situation - for some owners it does help and for others it does not. If you decide to see if replacing the AOS will help, expect to pay $600-$800 for a indy mechanic to do the job. Dealer will be closer to $1000. The part itself is around $100. Many people have DIY'd it but its a PITA.

When the AOS actually fails, you'll know it. There will be a smoke screen that would make 007 proud and if you're out on the road, the size and density will literally stop the traffic behind you (as jotoole said, it can be somewhat embarrassing). Many owners will think that the engine blew up because the amount of smoke is huge.

Jimbo409 01-03-2016 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone,will keep an eye on it

dghii 01-03-2016 02:16 PM

The way the OP described his situation, I'd be betting on bad AOS. I've had a puff of smoke from my car after sitting for extended periods but it clears immediately.

Trying to open your oil cap while the car is idling will tell you all you need to know.

Jimbo409 01-03-2016 03:43 PM

How will I know if the aos is good or bad after I open the oil filler cap any tips what to look for

Jamesp 01-03-2016 04:00 PM

What I've seen after an engine rebuild (without new rings, but with the piston ring grooves and rings cleaned and polished (baking soda), occasionally meaning 3 times in 12,000 miles it has had an impressive smoke plume on startup. Each time I'm thinking I'm screwed, then nothing after that. Just goes with the territory.

Timco 01-03-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 478612)
What I've seen after an engine rebuild (without new rings, but with the piston ring grooves and rings cleaned and polished (baking soda), occasionally meaning 3 times in 12,000 miles it has had an impressive smoke plume on startup. Each time I'm thinking I'm screwed, then nothing after that. Just goes with the territory.

Got a smoke bomb yesterday. A few days prior I had to move it over. It was cold, and I started it, moved it, and got to work. Yesterday I start it and poof dark smoke but not as dark as pure burning oil. I've noticed that only happens if I start it and don't let it warm fully up before parking it.

Retroman1969 01-03-2016 05:30 PM

It's normal. Both of mine do it fairly frequently on cold startups, and nearly always after sitting for a few days or more.
Wouldn't hurt to check out the AOS, but likely nothing to worry about.

rexcramer 01-03-2016 06:45 PM

My 2 cents

If I remember correctly, from my VW days. Because the cylinders are boxer/horizontal and not inclined, i.e. V6/8, oil doesn't naturally drain back down into the crankcase after shutdown. Worn valve guides, rings tend to exacerbate the symptom. I believe that I read that Subaru boxer engines have similar issues.

BIGJake111 01-04-2016 06:17 AM

I remember being at an auto show with a 991 gt3 there. After the show they fired it up to move it and it blew a massive smoke screen that cleared up rather quick.

It's a Porsche thing

mgfranz 02-22-2016 09:58 AM

My 2001 did this yesterday after it had been sitting for about 3 weeks, it stopped after about 2 minutes of idle and light revving up to about 2500. Good vacuum on oil cap so I am ruling out the AOS, (for now).

asteroid hyalosis 02-22-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 484680)
My 2001 did this yesterday after it had been sitting for about 3 weeks, it stopped after about 2 minutes of idle and light revving up to about 2500. Good vacuum on oil cap so I am ruling out the AOS, (for now).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "good vacuum" should mean NO vacuum.

JFP in PA 02-23-2016 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asteroid hyalosis (Post 484731)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "good vacuum" should mean NO vacuum.

Depends upon how you define "no vacuum"; there should be 5 inches of water vacuum at the oil cap when the engine is warmed up.