986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   where are you buying tires ? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59919)

rfuerst911sc 12-24-2015 06:21 AM

where are you buying tires ?

Not a discussion of brands just curious where are you guys buying your tires ? I know Tire Rack is popular and there are other online sellers. Or do you prefer to find a good deal at a local shop ? Big box shop or independent shop ?
I am NOT going to bring them my car, I will load up the wheels in my truck so my interest is good price, clean damage free install. For road tires do you recommend extended road hazard warranty or no ? I'm not normally a fan of extended warranty. Anyone have a recommendation for a tire shop in or near Marietta Georgia ? Merry Christmas .

dghii 12-24-2015 06:42 AM

I go back and forth between Tire Rack and Discount Tires Direct. DTD has specials occasionally that are great. I got 4 Hankook's (17's) for my car a two years ago for $325 shipped!

thstone 12-24-2015 06:43 AM

I buy all of my tires from TireRack (total around 12 sets per year; 9 sets for racing and another 2-3 for the family stable of 5 cars). I have them all installed at my house by a mobile installer.

For me, TireRack is very competitive and it saves time not having to drive to a tire store and wait. The mobile installer puts them on while I do something else with my time.

Porsche9 12-24-2015 06:43 AM

I almost always buy from Discount Tire for the last 20 years. They are always able to match or beat the installed price that Tire Rack has and if I have problem they alway take care of it without a fuss. If their price is higher then Tire Rack just mention it and they will match it. They also take care of flats free of charge. They offer a warranty but never do a hard sale and to date I have never brothered with purchasing the warranty as I'm not a fan.

For the power you are going to be putting down you are going to need some sticky tires.

JayG 12-24-2015 07:04 AM

Tirerack offers a free road hazard warranty on most tires
since Porsche does not recommend patching or plugging a tire, Tirerack will replace the tire directly, or reimburse you up to your original purchase price for a tire from someone else

They also have great deals for local mounting and balancing.
I got roadforce balance and mounting for $14.50 a wheel through them!

Flavor 987S 12-24-2015 07:13 AM

Tire Rack. Mainly because I am only about 90 miles away, and I can load-up the wheels into my SUV and have mounted & balanced by TR's shop. They do excellent work, and as noted by JayG only charge $15/wheel. Dealerships charge almost $75/wheel. I won't let an indy shop touch my wheels, only TR or a dealership. Risk (damage, scratches, improper balance) is too high with indy. If a wheels were damaged, I trust the deep pockets or either TR or dealership to make right/good.

oc-boxster 12-24-2015 07:21 AM

Ever since I got my boxster I've used tire rack. The prices are good and they ship right to my mechanic. The sumitomos I've been using have always been in stock and are there in a few days. My next full set will be the Michelin pilot sports and their prices seem as good as it gets for those.

jb92563 12-24-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 477589)
I go back and forth between Tire Rack and Discount Tires Direct. DTD has specials occasionally that are great. I got 4 Hankook's (17's) for my car a two years ago for $325 shipped!

Ditto!

I also do the above, depending on where the best deal is. Last time was Discount Tires for a set of Hankook V12's for the 17" rims.

Brought them to the local Big-O shop where they have a spcific dynamic balancer (forgot what its special name of this balancer was) and had them mounted and balance.

One in the Trunk, Frunk and 2 in the passenger seat. Easy!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B...Ic42/photo.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...281%252529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...282%252529.JPG

rfuerst911sc 12-24-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 477591)
I almost always buy from Discount Tire for the last 20 years. They are always able to match or beat the installed price that Tire Rack has and if I have problem they alway take care of it without a fuss. If their price is higher then Tire Rack just mention it and they will match it. They also take care of flats free of charge. They offer a warranty but never do a hard sale and to date I have never brothered with purchasing the warranty as I'm not a fan.

For the power you are going to be putting down you are going to need some sticky tires.

Haha your comment about the power I'll be putting down is what got me thinking about stickier tires. I currently have Conti's but they are getting long in the tooth and I have a brand spanking new set of rims barking for new tires.

rfuerst911sc 12-24-2015 10:55 AM

I just did a compare of Michelin Pilot Sports between Discount Tire Direct and Tire Rack. The size was 225/40 x 18 + 265/35 x 18. DTD was 898.97 delivered and TR was 944.30 . I was surprised that Discount was nearly 46.00 dollars cheaper. It does pay to shop around. Now I just have to figure out what tires I want.

husker boxster 12-24-2015 11:42 AM

I get all my tires from a local chain in OMA & Lincoln. TR listed tires for my LE at $1150. Went to my local store and the guy quoted me $1250 mounted & balanced. Charged me $80 for a 4 whl alignment. And gave me a $70 rebate card because I bought Michelins.

Fintro11 12-24-2015 11:45 AM

Up here in Canada I usually get the best price from costco, there is also a local tire shop that has incredible customer service i also get tires from.

rfuerst911sc 12-24-2015 12:11 PM

I went back to the DTD website and reran the Michelin Pilot Sports again and noticed there was a charge for valve stems. I normally like to run metal valve stems so I removed them from the website quote which brought the delivered price down to 886.13 that's a very competitive price !

JayG 12-24-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 477607)
Haha your comment about the power I'll be putting down is what got me thinking about stickier tires. I currently have Conti's but they are getting long in the tooth and I have a brand spanking new set of rims barking for new tires.

look at the Dunlop Direzza StarSpec. One of the best street tires that work well for AX and track

schnellman 12-24-2015 01:23 PM

+1 Tire Rack -1 DTD

Went to DTD because of all the entries here. They don't sell Sumitomo. I'll stick to tire rack.

jdraupp 12-24-2015 03:34 PM

I got a tire rack warehouse less than an hour away. I buy there, and they install them there. Hunter road pro equipment, fantastic installation price. Worth the drive.

tlc356sc 12-25-2015 05:36 AM

Most tire stores price match

Get the best price and then have your best installing shop match the price. I find almost all the tire shops in my area around Boston will match a written quote. Tom

Joe B 12-25-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlc356sc (Post 477668)
Get the best price and then have your best installing shop match the price. I find almost all the tire shops in my area around Boston will match a written quote. Tom

I wish that were the case where I live. I tried to get my local tire stores to match prices with DTD and Tire Rack, and they wouldn't come within $300 of the online cost, even factoring in shipping, sales tax, mounting and balancing :(! I bought my Michelin AS/3s from DTD and had the local shop mount them.

steved0x 12-25-2015 06:11 AM

Every now and then DTD has a $100 off on their eBay store, a lot of folks stock.up on their Nitto nt01 from.there.

I get from tirerack and take the wheels to a local.guy that charges $14 a tire if I bring the wheels off the car.

I am thinking of skipping the balancing for my track wheels (any thoughts?) after a session or two they go.out anyway due to wear and picking up tire rubber...

JayG 12-25-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 477671)
Every now and then DTD has a $100 off on their eBay store, a lot of folks stock.up on their Nitto nt01 from.there.

I get from tirerack and take the wheels to a local.guy that charges $14 a tire if I bring the wheels off the car.

I am thinking of skipping the balancing for my track wheels (any thoughts?) after a session or two they go.out anyway due to wear and picking up tire rubber...

You also could lose a wheel weight.
Put the metal "duct" tape over them