986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tesla Model S has an IMS Bearing! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59811)

thstone 12-11-2015 04:30 PM

Tesla Model S has an IMS Bearing!

Well, maybe not literally, but initial reliability data suggests that the 66% of all Model S cars may require replacement of the drive train within the first 60,000 miles.

Report: Two-Thirds Of Early Tesla Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000 Miles

rexcramer 12-11-2015 05:14 PM

I just read the article and learned a couple of things.

Tesla's have an 8 year warranty. Very cool

"The reliability engineer was careful to emphasize that the results were only valid if the data was correct," :eek:

It appears that Tesla has the problem handled and Elon and company are taking care of business. Good on them.

There are +/- 10 of them running around locally. Sharp, solid looking cars.

mikefocke 12-12-2015 06:22 AM

Read the article completely and the projections are based on self selected data contributed by owners of very early versions of their first and second models who heard of the collection. Think how skewed a similar data collection effort would be from '01-'04 Boxster owners.

I'm no fan of Tesla because of their prices, current fueling infrastructure, etc. But the initial headline was very misleading. And their warranty treatment of the cars and owners contrasts sharply with those from the VW corporation.

A more interesting article is in the January edition of Car and Driver addresses concerns about product delays, service availability and thus the long term viability of the company..

alm001 12-13-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 476368)
But the initial headline was very misleading.

How else would they get all the clicks they need?

BIGJake111 12-13-2015 08:27 AM

They're good to their buyers, but there is a reason they won't turn a profit for anything.

particlewave 12-13-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 476461)
They're good to their buyers, but there is a reason they won't turn a profit for anything.

Mr. Musk seems to be doing just fine, but I'm sure he'd appreciate your business insight, what with all your success. ;)

thstone 12-13-2015 11:45 AM

Elon's finances are backed by $4.9B in government assistance. Without that, he would have already burned through almost half of his fortune.

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies - LA Times

particlewave 12-13-2015 01:19 PM

What's the name of your multi-billion dollar car company that you built from the ground up? I don't recall... :p

We get it. You are not a fan of EV. Yawn... :rolleyes:

thstone 12-13-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 476488)
What's the name of your multi-billion dollar car company that you built from the ground up? I don't recall... :p

We get it. You are not a fan of EV. Yawn... :rolleyes:

Wow. Where did that come from? I thought the subject was a unprofitable company who is producing failing drive trains at 60,000 miles?

particlewave 12-13-2015 01:44 PM

Allegedly. Overinflated fearmongering from EV opponents. I didn't mean to make it sound personal, buddy! More like light hearted joking... :)

Who does the US government call when they need to resupply the ISS? Not NASA. :p
As I alluded to, I think Mr. Musk is going to be just fine.