986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Towing a boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59785)

flouese 12-10-2015 07:10 AM

Towing a boxster

I am at the point where I have to throw in the towel and get my car to an indy repair shop. Hasn't worked since the local Porsche dealer "looked" at it.
Can I tow it using a 2-wheel car dolly? Will ground clearance support it? Since it is not running, It would be very difficult to get it on a flat trailer. Anyone with experience please chime in. I hate having it sit in my driveway. Still in the upper 70's in N. Florida and I want to enjoy some top-down driving before our 10 days of winter hits.

jdraupp 12-10-2015 08:11 AM

Join AAA and make them tow it. I'd hate to hillbilly tow a Porsche. You could do a lot of damage if not done right.

rexcramer 12-10-2015 08:40 AM

Make sure you have the eye bolt that screws into your bumper and it should pull up a tilted flatbed easily. Maybe a couple of pieces of cardboard, to shield the bottom of the bumper until the front tires make the ramp, would help protect the paint.

78F350 12-10-2015 08:46 AM

I have used my old Ford truck to pull all my Hondas and parts-cars around, but when I need a Boxster picked up I call a pro. For hauls of 50 miles or so, the rates have been less than getting a tow dolly from U-Haul and a lot less hassle.
I'd say, shop around your local area for a cash haul and you may be surprised.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1449769546.jpg

mikefocke 12-10-2015 08:50 AM

AAA Florida has a guide for flatbedding a Boxster.

Here is what they say on page 3 of the 2002 version "CONVENTIONAL WHEEL-LIFT AND SELF-LOADING DOLLY EQUIPMENT DO NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE UNDERCARRIAGE CLEARANCE FOR TOWING OR MOVING THE VEHICLE. CAR CARRIER EQUIPMENT IS THE ONLY APPROVED TRANSPORTING METHOD FOR ALL PORSCHE MODELS."

flouese 12-10-2015 09:03 AM

Damn! Will look at all options. AAA might be the way to go.

CrisZenithBlue 12-10-2015 10:06 AM

with AAA in Florida as a gold member i get up to 100 miles free towing for 100$ a year. if you register now your account would be activated in one day i think. i think you can get membership for less than that and free towing up to 50 miles. it's cheap peace of mind.

i had the unpleasant experience of being stranded once (accessories belt started to shred and i didnt want to risk it) and i specifically asked for a flat bed. took two hours on a busy Friday evening but it was pulled on the truck with no issues at all (no shielding necessary) although i was a bit nervous.

Florida roads are crappy.. dont risk your Boxster on anything but a flatbed

pony13ca 12-10-2015 10:08 AM

When I had my clutch and IMS done, I had it towed in by CAA. When the drove showed he asked for the eye hook for the front bumper. He had no problem getting onto the flatbed, and said without the hook, he would never try loading a Porsche.

lkchris 12-11-2015 10:01 AM

Geez, towing is ALWAYS covered in the owners manual.

Put it on a flat bed truck as specified.

Mark_T 12-12-2015 10:20 AM

I've had my car towed once. it was done on a flat bed truck and there were no issues. It's the only way I would have the car moved.

flouese 12-12-2015 10:24 AM

Ikchris,
Thanks for the input. If I had an owners manual, I would have looked there.

thstone 12-12-2015 10:36 AM

My local shop often picks up or delivers my cars via flatbed and they will pull a non-running car onto the flatbed using an electric winch. Easy breezy.

jdraupp 12-12-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flouese (Post 476395)
Ikchris,
Thanks for the input. If I had an owners manual, I would have looked there.

I'm sure you could find a pdf version online.