986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wet passenger floor (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59615)

Walshie 11-23-2015 11:35 AM

wet passenger floor

Hi
Can anyone help. I was vacuuming my 986 at the weekend and found that although the passenger mat was dry, the carpet underneath was wet. The roof has lever leaked so I am unsure where to start looking for the cause.

BoxsterSteve 11-23-2015 11:48 AM

That would probably be due to a clogged drain. There are two in front, on either side of the battery, and two below the convertible top.

Walshie 11-23-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 474447)
That would probably be due to a clogged drain. There are two in front, on either side of the battery, and two below the convertible top.

Thanks, do you know the best way to clear them if they're blocked

mump 11-23-2015 01:26 PM

I used a wire and pushed it thru to clear mine. It first, a wire hanger and got it a far as I could, then some thicker speaker wire.

AaronPDX 11-23-2015 02:30 PM

I've found that the line used for weed trimmers works really well for clogged drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dghii 11-23-2015 02:59 PM

also check drains foam trough that the drain for rips.

The padding underneath the carpet is a very thick, dense foam. It'll hold lots of water before you feel wet carpet. I'd suggest you consider pulling the carpet out to dry. I'll bet I got a gallon of water out of the passenger side on a Box I owned previously. Just be glad it's not the drivers side!

BFeller 11-23-2015 03:47 PM

It would be good to now if it was wet in front of the seat or behind the seat. Front floor board tends to be the front drains under the cowl. Was the floor directly under the seat wet?

BoxsterSteve 11-23-2015 05:04 PM

OP mentioned dampness under passenger side floor mat, although he's RHD, so that would be our driver's side. I'd bet on a clogged front left drain.

amagalla 11-23-2015 06:43 PM

Another thing to check is the passenger door. On mine, I found that the PO did some speaker work but didn't replace the foam splash guard. As a result water was going from the door to the foot well.

Tony

Walshie 01-17-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 474486)
OP mentioned dampness under passenger side floor mat, although he's RHD, so that would be our driver's side. I'd bet on a clogged front left drain.

Hi boxster Steve it is only the front of the seats not underneath, I have checked the front drains and they appear to rum clear but I did notice that there are no grommets fitted to the holes.( cannot find a part number either) bottoms of doors cards are dry do that should rule out the splash membrane on the door. Someone did mention about coming in through the cabin filter but this is dry as well.Really don't know where to check next

maurice54 01-20-2016 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walshie (Post 480361)
Hi boxster Steve it is only the front of the seats not underneath, I have checked the front drains and they appear to rum clear but I did notice that there are no grommets fitted to the holes.( cannot find a part number either) bottoms of doors cards are dry do that should rule out the splash membrane on the door. Someone did mention about coming in through the cabin filter but this is dry as well.Really don't know where to check next

I've had my '99 986 since October - came complete with indoor swimming pool!
To date I've had to clear blocked front drains, repair the rear drain tray on the driver's side with RTV silicone, repair leaks in both door vapour barriers where the speaker wires come through and this week, with the carpet and driver's seat out, I found a drip at the lowest point of the cable for opening the rear truck, just beside the seatbelt bolt hole. Still some water getting in at the front driver side. Finally found it just now - the windscreen bottom seal so I'm drying it off now and will seal it with RTV silicone later.
That should be it all sorted.
I have a lot more detail about the various fixes if you need it - things like finding my front drains don't run to the wheel wells as per the drawings! Mine are fixed to the firewall and run out just behind the bottom tray.

Walshie 01-20-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurice54 (Post 480783)
I've had my '99 986 since October - came complete with indoor swimming pool!
To date I've had to clear blocked front drains, repair the rear drain tray on the driver's side with RTV silicone, repair leaks in both door vapour barriers where the speaker wires come through and this week, with the carpet and driver's seat out, I found a drip at the lowest point of the cable for opening the rear truck, just beside the seatbelt bolt hole. Still some water getting in at the front driver side. Finally found it just now - the windscreen bottom seal so I'm drying it off now and will seal it with RTV silicone later.
That should be it all sorted.
I have a lot more detail about the various fixes if you need it - things like finding my front drains don't run to the wheel wells as per the drawings! Mine are fixed to the firewall and run out just behind the bottom tray.

When you repaired the vapour barriers on the doors, we're the door cards wet. I have poured water down the front drains and it appears to run out from the centre of the car in-line with the bulkhead. What I have found is that there are no grommets on the drain holes they are just holes in the bodywork either side of the battery. Rear drains are clear. Still looking

RandallNeighbour 01-20-2016 12:51 PM

When clearing drains around the convertible top, be sure not to poke the plastic tube down inside the foam or you'll have a heck of a time fishing it out and getting it back in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walshie 02-06-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 480825)
When clearing drains around the convertible top, be sure not to poke the plastic tube down inside the foam or you'll have a heck of a time fishing it out and getting it back in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update
Since last post I have visited the local main dealer where they found that the door membrane had come unstuck. There suggestion was to have a new one fitted. They did this at a cost of £162 the next time it rained the floor was wet again so it went back and they spent 2 days water testing it FOC. There conclusion was it was coming in at the corner of the rubber seal that runs across the windscreen and running down the door. Strange as I have never noticed any moisture on the door panel at all. They wanted £1400 to fit a new one. This is becoming a real pain. I now have paper sheets taped in strategic places to try to find the water course. At least I know the drains are clear.!!!!!!!