986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   chassis reinforcement plate removal question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59602)

Viper10000 11-22-2015 12:34 PM

chassis reinforcement plate removal question

Hello everyone, I tried searching on here but was unable to find an answer. The question is... Can the chassis reinforcement plate under the transmission be removed without taking the weight of the car off the rear wheels? The reason I am asking is because I have the car on a 4 post lift and can easily remove that reinforcement plate. However, I'm not sure what negatives would come of that. Anyone ever do this this way? The car is an '02 base 5spd manual.

Meir 11-22-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper10000 (Post 474358)
Hello everyone, I tried searching on here but was unable to find an answer. The question is... Can the chassis reinforcement plate under the transmission be removed without taking the weight of the car off the rear wheels? The reason I am asking is because I have the car on a 4 post lift and can easily remove that reinforcement plate. However, I'm not sure what negatives would come of that. Anyone ever do this this way? The car is an '02 base 5spd manual.

For my understanding, it will take the rear suspension out of alignment.
From expiriance I can tell you it will be very hard to take it off.
Even when the car is suspended in the air with the wheels off, I use ratchet strap to get the screws/studs aligned, for easy removal and assembly.

Viper10000 11-22-2015 03:08 PM

I have had it off before with the rear end suspended, putting it back in was always the more interesting part. If by removing it with the wheels on the ground I take it out of alignment, won't it go back into alignment when I put it back on?

thstone 11-22-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper10000 (Post 474372)
If by removing it with the wheels on the ground I take it out of alignment, won't it go back into alignment when I put it back on?

Yes and no.

Yes, in a general sense, it will go back into alignment when the plate is re-installed. Will it be exact or correct? Maybe yes, maybe no. Usually best to have the rear alignment re-checked.

Gilles 11-22-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 474388)
Yes and no.

Yes, in a general sense, it will go back into alignment when the plate is re-installed. Will it be exact or correct? Maybe yes, maybe no. Usually best to have the rear alignment re-checked.

How easy would be to learn to use (smart strings) and how good of an alignment can you get with them as DIY?

I end removing the supports and triangle quite often...

j.fro 11-23-2015 07:18 AM

Done right, you can get a better alignment with SmartStrings than with a laser system. Getting it right requires experience, time, and patience. Start to finish can take 4+ hours if you need to level your floor or stand and are working on your own. If you can, find a shop that does string alignments and volunteer to help on a couple to see how it works.

Viper10000 11-23-2015 01:41 PM

I'll just get the weight off the wheels. It's no big deal. Just figured I'd see if it was necessary to do. I don't want to have to get an alignment done if I don't need to. Separate question, if I replace the rear track arms, does this require a re-alignment?