986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fuel additives (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59518)

mariosp 11-13-2015 12:17 AM

Fuel additives

Hello!

I would like to know your feedback regarding the fuel additives and if there are brands which are porsche approved ? or any other ranking list?

What are the pros and cons?

thanks

MArios

mikesz 11-13-2015 02:11 AM

I live in the NE USA. The car is driven weekends and sometimes during the week but mostly pleasure driving. Doesn't get driven in the winter but in the spring I change my oil and put in a can of seafoam additive. I have read Chevron gas is good to use too because they put cleaning additives in their gas.

Smallblock454 11-13-2015 03:43 AM

Hi,

my Box is only driven in summer season, so it sits in the garage over the winter, and sometimes also in summer. 2014 i have driven it for 1.300 Km. This spring i noticed a very loud noise from the fuel pump. Went to the car parts shop and bought an injection cleaner which also cleans fuel lines and everything related. Worked great. Fuel pump is calm now.

Product was this: LIQUI MOLY - Motorenöle, Additive, Autopflege - Produkte - Injection-Reiniger

Don't know if it's available in Cyprus

Regards, Markus

jdraupp 11-13-2015 03:43 AM

The techron by chevron is good stuff to help clean the fuel system. I run it through once or twice a year. As far as any additives that guarantee hp upgrades? Snake oil.

seawind 11-15-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 473470)
Hi,

my Box is only driven in summer season, so it sits in the garage over the winter, and sometimes also in summer. 2014 i have driven it for 1.300 Km. This spring i noticed a very loud noise from the fuel pump. Went to the car parts shop and bought an injection cleaner which also cleans fuel lines and everything related. Worked great. Fuel pump is calm now.

Product was this: LIQUI MOLY - Motorenöle, Additive, Autopflege - Produkte - Injection-Reiniger

Regards, Markus

That is the same my local independent Porsche mechanic uses. I use once yearly as well.

Benitom 11-16-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 473470)
Hi,

Regards, Markus

It's available on Amazon here in the U.S. - Thanks for the suggestion!

schnellman 11-16-2015 07:05 AM

+1 Techron

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 473471)
The techron by chevron is good stuff to help clean the fuel system. I run it through once or twice a year. As far as any additives that guarantee hp upgrades? Snake oil.

I've used Techron for five years and swear my Box loves it.

rick3000 11-16-2015 07:30 AM

I occasionally add some Techron fuel system cleaner. The Porsche dealer actually recommended I use it every few months after a carbon build up on my idle control valve caused some issues.

nieuwhzn 11-16-2015 09:07 PM

Techron about every 1000 miles, translates to every 5th fill up for the boxster. Use it for all our cars nowadays. Buy it in bulk at Costco.

Flavor 987S 11-17-2015 04:42 AM

I use the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner with Techron PRIOR to every oil change. So, about 300-400 miles before the oil change. Add to tank, run low-low, refuel, then change oil.

Prior to winter hibernation Mid Oct till mid March), I use StaBil fuel stabilizer at 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons fuel.

eallga72 11-17-2015 05:21 AM

CatAClean

I have started using CatAClean by Mr Gasket, works great, had a OBDII fault on my 06 Jeep Liberty over a year ago, added CatAClean fault gone. Use in my 02 Bosxter S car runs great. :cheers:

tommy583 11-17-2015 05:27 AM

I've used BG44 in my Jeep Cherokee. I can say it really made a difference. I was actually surprised at how well it worked. I haven't used it in the Boxster though.

mariosp 11-23-2015 12:05 PM

thank you all for your replies

Which one Techron

I found 65740.. 67740..

Could you recomend any other for diesel engine?

fredd5r 11-26-2015 12:05 AM

Saw this on the net:

To meet your specific needs, there are two sizes of TECHRON® Concentrate Plus:

*20 oz. #65740 - Treats up to 20 gallons of fuel and is designed for larger cars, light-duty trucks and sport utility vehicles.
*12 oz. #67740 - Treats up to 12 gallons of fuel and is designed for smaller cars.

DWBOX2000 11-26-2015 05:02 AM

The instructions on the techron says to add when tank is low. Is that 1/4 tank or less?

cas951 11-26-2015 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 (Post 474728)
The instructions on the techron says to add when tank is low. Is that 1/4 tank or less?

Short answer is yes but more important is to look at how many gallons one bottle can treat. For our cars we need the 20 oz bottle.
Its best to use when you're filling up and pour the bottle in first before pumping the gas in. The force of the fuel being pumped in will mix the Techron in the gas tank.

Lew 12-17-2016 05:36 AM

I read this on another post titled "Gas Treatments". What could possibly be the crud?

Treatment is a good thing, but use a good one such as Techron, and plan on changing your oil within one to two tanks of gas after the treated tank. The oil will collect some crud knocked loose by the treatment.

Ciao 12-17-2016 06:40 AM

Many have had great success with fuel additives; interestingly my Boxster manual states not to use any fuel additives. So, I am using Stabil as I winterize the Box but am hesitant to use fuel additives when I take the Box out of storage during the Spring/Summer/Fall

Gelbster 12-17-2016 06:11 PM

The best gas additive for idle or short-term stored cars is Stabil. If you've ever had to purge gelled old gas from a Porsche you will remember this recommendation. Those insoluble balls of gell stick and clog all over the system and get dislodged at intervals. The good thing is that they eventually arrive in the filter basket of an injector. Usually #4 !

10/10ths 12-18-2016 01:59 PM

What was posted above is correct...

...you put the fuel additive in on an empty tank, while at the gas pump, and then fuel up your vehicle. You also want to do this a couple of tanks immediately before an oil change.

The stuff will get by the rings and into the oil a little bit, so you want to change that oil.

Techron is a good all-a-round fuel system cleaner. Sta-Bil is a good all-a-round storage protector.

If you have a clogged injector, or want to really clean up the valves and such, "Sea Foam" is incredibly effective. I have personally witnessed "Sea Foam" clearing multiple vehicle fueling issues.

:cheers: