Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Ready for its long sleep...

All rubber seals protected with Gummi-Pfledge, Sta-Bil added to fuel, sturdy wheel chocks in place, CTEK battery maintainer installed, dessicant pack in cabin, and $28 eBay Covercraft car cover installed to protect the paint from accidental bumps (tiny garage).

I'll get it out and drive it on dry days this Winter just to keep it exercised.

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #2

Garage
Hey there, I was supposed to put my car to bed this weekend too but I couldn't do it knowing its going to be semi-mild this week... I figured get a couple more days out of her!! hahaha Can you PM me the link to the car cover you bought for the car... thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbrsix View Post

All rubber seals protected with Gummi-Pfledge, Sta-Bil added to fuel, sturdy wheel chocks in place, CTEK battery maintainer installed, dessicant pack in cabin, and $28 eBay Covercraft car cover installed to protect the paint from accidental bumps (tiny garage).

Cover the tailpipe so little critters don`t get in. Just remember to remove before first flight.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Cover the tailpipe so little critters don`t get in. Just remember to remove before first flight.
Last winter I stuffed Bounce dryer sheets under the seats, around the edges of the windshield, in the tailpipe, in fact every nook I could see. Mice hate the smell and I had none overwinter. I just did the same thing last week.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #5

Winter finally reared it's ugly head in Florida. Got all the way down to 69 yesterday. Time to break out the winter gear!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #6

Garage
I will be putting my baby away for this winter slumber in the next couple days. We are supposed to have our last few nice days here in MN this week, so I will get every last minute of driving in before shutting her down. This will be my first year storing my Boxster.

I will put steel wool in the tail pipes to prevent critters, remove my battery (making sure I leave the frunk chocked open) as I dont have power access in the storage garage I will be renting..

I will be filling up with no oxy premium. Leave it neutral with no parking brake and the wheels chocked. Finally putting my cover over as my final step.

Is it better for the soft top to store the car with it up or does it matter if it's down? I have a hard top and it saves quite a bit of space if I can leave the top on it.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

My box sleeps naked.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Vermin have never been a problem here (stored my former Miata for 5 years in this garage), but I'll toss a couple of dryer sheets under the seats and in the trunks just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

There's always a good reason for one more cruise through the twisties
between the flakes covering the land.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 11-09-2015 at 12:03 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbrsix View Post

Wednesday in SE Wisconsin: Sunny and high 60s. Last drive of the year.

Dirt/debris accumulation minimal after final wash/wax last weekend, so it's bed-time for the Winter:

Because of salt on Winter roads, I will not be driving it on dry days for my fourth Winter owning it.

Ditto all the other winterizing steps, plus plastic sheets underneath as vapor barrier, wood boards under the tires rather than direct contact on concrete, inflate the tires to 50 psi. Did the dessicant packs but not the dryer sheets. I put small disposable plastic containers with mothballs at multiple points around the car instead. I don't put steel wool in the exhaust pipes, but rubber-band Baggies over them (if you can still get Baggies).

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Winter finally reared it's ugly head in Florida. Got all the way down to 69 yesterday. Time to break out the winter gear!
There's a four letter word beginning with "F" followed by a three letter word ending in "U" that I would say if we weren't fellow Boxster owners.

But I am thinking it.

DBear
Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

There's always a good reason for one more cruise through the twisties
between the flakes covering the land.
If Dylan Thomas had lived in Northern U.S. climes after 1975, owned any special car worthy of prolonging drivability and appearance, and had to face the massive salting of our roads, I think he would have taken it gentle into that dying of the light.

DBear
Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #13

It's a sad day

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #15

Oh you guys in Florida and other warm climes, you are so smug when we put our beautiful Boxsters into hibernation. We don't mind (in fact some of us enjoy) winter weather, but I've wondered the effect of hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, wildfires, and very limited water supplies do to a Boxster.

Then there is the sense of anticipation. When I had a sailboat on Lake Michigan, some time shortly after the New Year celebration a lusting for spring starts and the feel of a tiller and steering wheel starts building until, oh joy! That first spring drive, preferably with the top down.

When it's nice every day emotions are flat, while our hearts sing with the knowledge that we got through another winter.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #16

Smug...perhaps, but I've earned the right to be.

I did my time, 39years of Canadian Winters and thought to myself, I'm an outdoorsy kind of person in warm weather, but grew to hate the cold harsh (relatively speaking) winter months.

So I did something about it and now enjoy the warm end of the spectrum 90% of the year and have fond Memories of the Snow as I admire its beauty on the mountain tops in the distance with the top down, in the heated seat of my Porsche.

Bliss.

Earthquakes...just as unnoticable as they were in Ontario, Canada, fires on the other hand are another matter. Thats what the boat is for!
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #17

Garage
I put my Boxster away for the winter also, even though I bought it a week and a half ago. I can't hardly wait till spring comes now.
p3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:33 AM   #18

I do not put my Boxster away. I do not drive in the snow (because I don't have snow tires) but there are plenty of beautiful cold sunny days over winter. Enough so that I get out a few times per month from December to March. I just keep it on a battery tender.