986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to handle Boxster withdrawal during winter months (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59473)

soxfan1966 11-09-2015 08:46 AM

How to handle Boxster withdrawal during winter months

I purchased my Boxster last November and had the chance to drive it a little before winter set in (and it was a rough winter in New England).

My original plan was once spring came to drive the Boxster a few days a week to work etc... Once spring came (and summer, and then early fall) I ended up driving the Boxster every day. My ride to work is 1.5 hours each way and using a twisty back road route made that time with the Boxster very enjoyable - it was too good not to drive the Boxster.

Now that Fall is back - frosty mornings, wet leaves cluttering the road, time change means pitch black drives home, etc - I put the Boxster to sleep for the winter.

This past week was the first driving to work in my other car (which my son had used all spring and summer) and it's just not the same. I realized there would be some drop off (it's just a plain old Dodge Avenger, gets me from point A to point B with no frills).

I am now officially suffering from Boxster withdrawal.... I may get the chance to drive it here and there on the weekend, but am not planning to drive it to work again until spring.

I'm sure I cannot be the first to experience this withdrawal - how have others handled this in the past?

GatorLapis 11-09-2015 09:02 AM

I am in Florida so I cant relate. I would use the downtime to keep adding reliability upgrades so when spring comes around you can enjoy it that much more. Think about your milage and what needs to get replaced now.

grc0456 11-09-2015 09:12 AM

I visit Suncoast, Pelican, eBay, Craigslist, etc. and either buy or put in my wish list goodies to install - at least until my wife says "enough!"

Also, is there is no snow forecast and no salt on the roads I will try to drive her at least once per week. I just took her on an 800 mile round trip this past weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdraupp 11-09-2015 09:26 AM

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. When I pull that cover off in the spring, I swear she's never looked so purdy.

Run 11-09-2015 11:27 AM

I live in SC so our winters are not to extreme but I normally garaged mine for most of the winter as its a convertible and thus the top must be down when driven. To answer your question I went and bought a Cayman now I have the other problem what one to drive in the spring, summer, fall.

I also spend the winter doing the prevent maintenance and upgrades for the spring. Better than keeping it under a cover all winter.

Fintro11 11-09-2015 11:32 AM

easy ... grab the key and drive it :D

tommy583 11-09-2015 11:33 AM

First I leave it covered until the day I'm going to take it out. So i don't have to see it every time I go into the garage.

Second I use the winter to gather up all the parts I want to put on it when the weather breaks.

And last I plan a bunch of road trips to take it on.

All this helps, but I still daydream about driving it while I'm snow blowing the driveway.