Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
netfix

1998 black boxster

hi everybody
let me introduce myself
i am from portugal, an half retired seo engeneer, and i just love porsches :-)
i had my first one in 1989 (an 996 carrera 4 convertible) and i went all the way to the top, my last one (2012) was an 997 turbo s convertible.
then my life went up side down and i had to sell it.
luckylly it seems to slowly beeing back again, and i just bought a 1998 986 boxster with 130000kms on the odometer that seems to be in pretty good shape thought it was parked for about 18 monthes.
however there are small issues that i would like to fix:
-the battery was flat so i had to replace it
-left door key hole just goes around, seems to have something lose inside.
-when i open the right door, the window doesn´t drop enough , it make the noise, drops a few milimeters and, but it is not enough to open or close de door
-on the dash board the clock sometimes apear and others doesn´t.

can anybody give me a few clues? is it possible that those issues are related with the fact that the car was parked for that time?
thanks in advance

net_fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome to the Best forum for Boxsters on the internet. You have picked my favorite color and year. I have a 98 triple black and had the same issues as you! So without further adieu my driver door lock just spun as yours. This is the part that fixed it. Picked up on Amazon. Buy 2, 1 for spare. Pelican has a DIY that can get you to the door handle. I repaired mine, but you could take the part and the door lock assy to a locksmith and have done. There are very small springs and the internal lock keys that can get away.

RegulatorFix VW Passat Audi A4 (B5) Door Lock Repair Kit - Front (left or right)
Sold by: RegulatorFix
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT1GUNK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

As far as window if you haven't then you might try reinitializing your window. Your owners manual explains how. If that doesn't work then you may need to replace the window regulator, or try the regulator bicycle cable adjuster hack.

Good Luck and enjoy your time here.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-08-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add link
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Congrats on the new wheels. I just tried the bike adjuster hack to mediocre results. I then replaced the regulator myself and it was pretty straight forward and easy. (+/- $90.00) Definitely try to re-initialize your windows. The dead battery may have messed with the position memory. Best of luck.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #4

Net.

Agree fully with 911monty, black is the only colour.

Also happy to hear that your life is getting back to where you want it to be. The world is full of ups and downs, never give up. Porsches are a perfect companion for the ups, and a satisfying target for the downs.

The world can take away many things, but never our dreams. And dreams are what power us every day. In our case the power is a flat six.

Spinnr is offline   Reply With Quote