986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The New Mazda Miata (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59438)

Bootlegger 11-07-2015 03:19 AM

The New Mazda Miata

I've always joked that Miata is a Japanese word for 'wish I was a Porsche' (no disrespect intended). However, this looks bad-ass and legit.

The Retro Mazda Miata Spyder Concept Is So, So Cool

But,...I'll stick with my 986.

Gelbster 11-07-2015 07:36 AM

I own a Porsche and a Miata.Had & struggled with NA,NB,NC. But have given up on the ND. Lack of torque,lack of headroom.Lack of power options.One size fits all arrogance from Mazda does not work for me.

Racer Boy 11-07-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 472669)
I own a Porsche and a Miata.Had & struggled with NA,NB,NC. But have given up on the ND. Lack of torque,lack of headroom.Lack of power options.One size fits all arrogance from Mazda does not work for me.

:confused: The new Miata is nearly as quick as a base 986, with a mid-six second 0-60 time. They are surprisingly quick cars.

Lack of power options? The car is designed to be more of an elemental sports car, and lightweight (as light as the original generation of the Miata). You can manually raise or lower the top quicker than the power top on our 986's can do it.

I've owned Miatas in the past (including a Spec Miata racecar), and they are terrific cars, without many, no, make that any of the designed-in failure points that the Boxster has. Keep in mind that the Mazda is designed to a much lower price point than a Boxster. You can get a new Miata for around $25K. What is the base list for a new Boxster? Really, comparing the two cars is like apples-to-oranges.

Ironic that a Porsche owner accuses Mazda of being arrogant! :)

mikefocke 11-07-2015 09:58 AM

I shopped the Mazda before buying my Boxsters. I just didn't fit. I've had two 626s and both were far better experiences than the 914 I had had. I'd also owned two Alfas. So I was positively disposed towards the light "underpowered" type of car and the Mazda brand but just didn't work for me and I'm a mere 6 feet tall.

There are horses for courses and cars for every taste.

particlewave 11-07-2015 10:30 AM

I'm sure it's grand and all, but the Miata is one of the ugliest cars on the road. The new model is no exception. ;)

Frodo 11-07-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 472685)
I'm sure it's grand and all, but the Miata is one of the ugliest cars on the road. The new model is no exception. ;)

Another one of those lofty pronouncements that positively screams for an "IMO" to precede it!

particlewave 11-07-2015 11:08 AM

Nope... :D

(isn't that a given? :confused:)

Fintro11 11-07-2015 11:24 AM

looks like a 350 z, z4 and the roof of a boxster spyder ......

jdraupp 11-07-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 472680)
:confused: The new Miata is nearly as quick as a base 986, with a mid-six second 0-60 time. They are surprisingly quick cars.

Lack of power options? The car is designed to be more of an elemental sports car, and lightweight (as light as the original generation of the Miata). You can manually raise or lower the top quicker than the power top on our 986's can do it.

I've owned Miatas in the past (including a Spec Miata racecar), and they are terrific cars, without many, no, make that any of the designed-in failure points that the Boxster has. Keep in mind that the Mazda is designed to a much lower price point than a Boxster. You can get a new Miata for around $25K. What is the base list for a new Boxster? Really, comparing the two cars is like apples-to-oranges.

Ironic that a Porsche owner accuses Mazda of being arrogant! :)

Sounds to me like you should be on a miata forum and passing your Boxster off to someone who can really appreciate it.

litespeedp 11-07-2015 02:04 PM

I'm for any light,tossible fun car with decent quality and driver involvement!

Frodo 11-07-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 472691)
looks like a 350 z, z4 and the roof of a boxster spyder ......

Yup, not a bad description...an they're all pretty nice looking cars. IMO...

Gelbster 11-07-2015 02:24 PM

Miata- Most people 6ft and up do not fit .The story ends there for us.

thstone 11-07-2015 04:12 PM

I had a NB 2000 Special Edition. Great car and lots of fun but really quite slow, very small interior, and inexpensive materials everywhere.

IMHO, I am not a fan of the new ND design, it is terribly awkward to my eye. Mazda made the MX-5 Cup race car appear more muscular by adding wide white accent lines to extenuate the lines that the bodywork should have had in the first place. The blacked out bottom lines also help hide the poor stock design. Then they lowered the car and added larger wheels/tires. The end result is that the almost looks good because your eye jumps straight to the swooshy white lines and ignores the rest of the mess. :)

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2hqwskqf.jpg

Racer Boy 11-07-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 472705)
Sounds to me like you should be on a miata forum and passing your Boxster off to someone who can really appreciate it.

Well, I have a lot more experience with a Miata than a Boxster. So far, I like my Boxster, and expect to like it more once I rebuild the worn out suspension. But for me, I can tell that the Boxster isn't as much fun to drive as a Miata on the street.

The Miata is more responsive and gives so much more feedback at lower speeds than the Boxster. Obviously, the Boxster is faster in a straight line, and has better brakes stock. It's a much more refined car than a Miata. Maybe I'll find the Boxster more fun once I go to a track day. I'm not saying that the Boxster is a bad car - not at all!

And I'll admit to having a chip on my shoulder about what other people think of Miata's. You do get tired of all the "girls car" comments, and perceived arrogant attitudes from drivers of more expensive cars.

But I'm looking forward to enjoying my Boxster experience as time goes by! :cheers:

911monty 11-07-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 472729)
And I'll admit to having a chip on my shoulder about what other people think of Miata's. You do get tired of all the "girls car" comments, and perceived arrogant attitudes from drivers of more expensive cars.

But I'm looking forward to enjoying my Boxster experience as time goes by! :cheers:

Oh better tighten your suspenders then! Just wait until you get that attitude from fellow REAL PORSCHE drivers of the 911 and now even the Cayman crowd. I just went to a local PCA event and the first guy I run into says" Oh driving one of those!?! Most people have switched to the Cayman now !" Unbelievable.....:ah:

jdraupp 11-07-2015 06:09 PM

Racer boy, if the boxster isn't more fun than the Miata then you're doing it wrong. I respect the Miata for what it is. The biggest selling sports car of all time. However, I bought a Porsche because there isn't any substitute for one. Take it to the track, take on a twisty road and you'll understand why anyone who compares the boxster to a miata is barking up the wrong tree.

On a serious note if after tracking the car or taking it through some twists you don't think the boxster is a better experience then you need to unload it because you're doing it wrong. Anyone who owns one would say the same.

Muskie 11-07-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 472730)
Oh better tighten your suspenders then! Just wait until you get that attitude from fellow REAL PORSCHE drivers of the 911 and now even the Cayman crowd. I just went to a local PCA event and the first guy I run into says" Oh driving one of those!?! Most people have switched to the Cayman now !" Unbelievable.....:ah:

Well Put, Kind Of.

If you want to look down on the Miata please don't complain if your position in the P-car Hierarchy is pointed out, Lol.

Sports Car Guys are just that, Enthusiasts. Going out of your way to piss on the perceived "Lower Class" will garner nothing but resentment.

Stupid is as Stupid Does...................................:ah:

Pdwight 11-07-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskie (Post 472736)
Well Put, Kind Of.

If you want to look down on the Miata please don't complain if your position in the P-car Hierarchy is pointed out, Lol.

Sports Car Guys are just that, Enthusiasts. Going out of your way to piss on the perceived "Lower Class" will garner nothing but resentment.

Well said in plain language

Timco 11-07-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskie (Post 472736)
Well Put, Kind Of.

Well, Coreseller would know......

Maybe you should IM a few more members and cry about me......lol.

DWBOX2000 11-08-2015 04:26 AM

Yup bottom up the porsche hierarchy.

Another +1 for the miata. Beautiful car.