986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   997 GT3 front end conversion and rear widebody (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59374)

Dr Feelgood 11-01-2015 05:14 PM

997 GT3 front end conversion and rear widebody

I have been doing a lot of research into this and can't seem to find much up to date information. Most pictures and links are broken. I have a 2004 Boxster S. I want to know if anyone has used any of the available conversion "kits" or has any experience with them. I am not talking about taking a factory 997 bumper and modding it to fit my 986. There kits are available online from part stores and Ebay. Some seem to be made by Duraflex and the others and not really clear as to the manufacturer.

The first part is the front end conversion. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://www.bodykitz.com/images/EDextraimages/99_996997gt3rsconversioncomplete.jpg

This requires 997 headlights and turn signals. Does anyone know how this wires up or what wiring modification is needed? Also, I have factory xenon headlights, would I have to find xenon 997 headlights to replace them?

There is another bumper I am considering that is made by Precision Porsche that reuses the factory headlight and only adds the 997 turn signals (and yes I do know that there is another bumper available where this is deleted but I don't like the look of it as much.) Anyone have experience with this or how these are added to the wiring? Here is a picture:

http://precision911.com/imager.php?upfile=/home/precisio/public_html/pics/1237826804_1296703279.JPG&max_height=600&max_width =800

As for the rear end conversion, wide body conversion, this is specifically a Precision Porsche part and I'll get some information from them but I would like to know if anyone has done it and if they have any comments about it. Did you have to use spacers for the rear wheels?

Any info or pictures on this is appreciated. There just seem to be a lot of little details missing online. And yes I plan on taking this to a shop and having it painted and installed. And yes I realize that there will be some modding needed to get everything to fit right. And yes I realize this is expensive.

Dr Feelgood 11-09-2015 05:33 PM

No one has any experience with any of this?

der Geist 11-10-2015 03:19 AM

I had a bumper like the precision911 one on my Boxster. I'm probably going to selling it if you are interested. Everything went fine on the install, it mounts with the same screws for the most part. I had to drill holes for the screws inside the turn signal housings but that's about it as far as I can recall. I just removed the headlight assemblies, installed the bumper and re-installed the headlight assemblies, no problems at all.

The 997 conversion is really expensive and if you are switching headlights add at least $1000.00 to the cost for the headlights alone.

Pretty expensive upgrade if you are not doing the work yourself.

Perfectlap 11-10-2015 09:05 AM

I'm assuming you've done a search in this forum? I've been on this forum for over 11 years, many members have posted pics of conversions and aftermarket kits in the show an tell section.

husker boxster 11-10-2015 04:02 PM

6-8 yrs ago the big thing was to convert your 986 front end to a 996. It was expensive because it wasn't a simple bolt on swap but made some sense since a 986 was still a $30K+ car. I'm not sure anyone has attempted to graft a 997 front on a 986. The cost will just about double the price of the 986. Is it really worth it? For the money you'll spend you could just about buy a nice 997. Or get a 987 and do the conversion to it. Converting a 987 would be much easier.

And be careful when buying GT3-like front bumpers - many are fiberglass and don't take much punishment.

I would suggest putting pencil to paper and deciding if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Spinnr 11-11-2015 12:48 AM

Feelgood.

The cars in the links look way gorgeous. I can see why you would want to do this. Jealous already.

Dr Feelgood 11-11-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist (Post 473010)
I had a bumper like the precision911 one on my Boxster. I'm probably going to selling it if you are interested. Everything went fine on the install, it mounts with the same screws for the most part. I had to drill holes for the screws inside the turn signal housings but that's about it as far as I can recall. I just removed the headlight assemblies, installed the bumper and re-installed the headlight assemblies, no problems at all.

The 997 conversion is really expensive and if you are switching headlights add at least $1000.00 to the cost for the headlights alone.

Pretty expensive upgrade if you are not doing the work yourself.

Does your bumper have the additional turn lights on it or is it the one from NR that has it deleted? Yes I do know that the headlights are expensive and that is one of the thing keeping me from that particular bumper at the moment.

Dr Feelgood 11-11-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 473090)
6-8 yrs ago the big thing was to convert your 986 front end to a 996. It was expensive because it wasn't a simple bolt on swap but made some sense since a 986 was still a $30K+ car. I'm not sure anyone has attempted to graft a 997 front on a 986. The cost will just about double the price of the 986. Is it really worth it? For the money you'll spend you could just about buy a nice 997. Or get a 987 and do the conversion to it. Converting a 987 would be much easier.

Umm, not to be a dick or anything but did you read the part me not taking a bumper from a 997..... and about these kits being available on Ebay and other sites....specifically for a 986.... and then the part about me posting links of the actual parts?

Quote:

And be careful when buying GT3-like front bumpers - many are fiberglass and don't take much punishment.
This is true and duely noted

Smallblock454 11-12-2015 12:29 AM

Hi,

CSR offers some body kits for a 986 to 987 / 997 style conversion:

CSR-Automotive Tuningshop | Carstyling Tuning Autoteile : Produktsuche

Pretty shure they can also answer questions concerning conversions.

Most parts from them are GFK = fibreglas.

Don't now any after market parts made of ABS. There are some conversions out there that used Porsche OEM 987 / 997 parts. But you have to do a lot of modification in detail to do that. Also very cost expensive.

Regards
Markus

husker boxster 11-12-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Feelgood (Post 473272)
Umm, not to be a dick or anything but did you read the part me not taking a bumper from a 997..... and about these kits being available on Ebay and other sites....specifically for a 986.... and then the part about me posting links of the actual parts?

No offense taken. The links were of pics. The first one was a 996 with a 997 GT3 front end. The 2nd pic was just a 986 with a GT3 bumper but nothing else 997 / 987. So I backed up the first link and found the kit you're asking about. Sounds like it's entirely fiberglass - fenders, hood, and bumper. That bumper would be hard to keep pristine since it's fiberglass and very low. No experience with any of it, but it generally seems any TV show building cars that buys aftermkt parts ends up modifying them to fit. Modifying fiberglass parts will require extra skill.

I have to wonder why they show a 996 TT cab when they're trying to sell you a 986 conversion? And no reviews? Is that because no one has purchased the kit or there are no positive reviews to report?

Good that you asked. The collective response of silence probably speaks volumes. Still think you'd be miles ahead getting an 05-06 987 and finding a decent bolt-on GT3 bumper.

Stroked & Blown 11-13-2015 07:57 AM

I have a precision porsche bumper and wouldn't buy from them again.
The bumper was not finished well, and required a lot of fitment work.

coolbreeze551 08-09-2017 08:05 PM

might be dead?

Apologies for reviving a dead thread. I haven't been active in a while and wanted to give my 2 cents as I think I may be of assistance if anyone is still interested in that bumper. I have a 986 that I just purchased the same bumper from precision porsche a few weeks ago. The bumper itself is a great fit, however, depending on your setup some alterations need to be made. It all depends on your model (i.e. headlamp washers, etc...). I had my bumper replaced under insurance so didn't cost me nearly as much as if I just paid out of pocket.

Bumper looks fantastic, I won't lie though, I had to put in my own time and money to make it that way over and above what the body shop could do (even though they created more work for me). That being said, I wanted it a certain way. Some guys might have been happy with less or something different but I am particular and am happy with how its going (still working on it haha).

Makes the car look only 8 years old as opposed to 16 yrs old. Also, driving near anything that's more than 2 inches off the ground is a PITA. Just my 2 cents.

GTA_G20 08-09-2017 08:41 PM

Any pics.? I know someone with a 996 same front end as 986 and his car is fully 997 exterior converted

coolbreeze551 09-05-2017 01:43 PM

sorry for the delay

I have been a little busy with work and the car was quite dirty for a while but here is a clean pic.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1504647800.jpg

Weevic 03-31-2018 08:24 AM

Did you do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Feelgood (Post 473272)

This is true and duely noted

Hi did you do the conversion in the end ?. I have a 2004 S & have seen a fantastic kit made by Anu Dimension. It looks great in the flesh & costs £5,300 to buy plus lights & other bits. Or you can give your car to them & they will make the car to your spec for £20,000. That’s finished any colour .

Dr Feelgood 04-01-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weevic (Post 566653)
Hi did you do the conversion in the end ?. I have a 2004 S & have seen a fantastic kit made by Anu Dimension. It looks great in the flesh & costs £5,300 to buy plus lights & other bits. Or you can give your car to them & they will make the car to your spec for £20,000. That’s finished any colour .

No i ended up not getting the kit. Just seemed like a large expense for a kit that would probably crack on the rough roads here and the car is up there in miles as well. The kit you are referencing is even worse as it is even more expensive (if you convert to USD it's $28,000 installed) and makes your car into a hard top which completely defeats the purpose of owning a boxster.