986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bedtime (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59263)

Wallace River 10-23-2015 07:32 AM

Bedtime

The season-ending oil change is done. One last drive scheduled for the weekend, then she goes to bed for her winter's sleep.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5730/...d3612448_b.jpgIMGL7083 Bedtime for the Porsche by Ian Murray, on Flickr

rexcramer 10-23-2015 08:01 AM

That is beautiful. According to Google maps, you are only 3,516 miles and 50 hours away. It is also 40 degrees colder which means the car will run stronger the closer I get. Maybe I can do it in 48?

Porsche9 10-23-2015 08:18 AM

Nice photo. Having to put her away for such a long time is a bummer. I'd have some serious withdrawal issues.

paulofto 10-23-2015 08:21 AM

Nice photo. That time of year has arrived. Mine heads into hibernation this weekend as well.

DrCactus 10-23-2015 09:08 AM

Yeah I will be putting my car away for the winter in 1 more week's time sadly.... the season for driving seems to be so short but I love the car more each Spring !!

san rensho 10-23-2015 10:19 AM

Feel (kind of) sorry for you guys. But feel sorry for me too. Its been so hot here in Miami that I haven't really had a chance to drive with the top down.

Porsche9 10-23-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 470849)
Feel (kind of) sorry for you guys. But feel sorry for me too. Its been so hot here in Miami that I haven't really had a chance to drive with the top down.

I know what you mean. I just took my hard top off a few weeks ago as summer is long and too hot for top down driving.

tommy583 10-23-2015 11:23 AM

I figure I have around 2 more weeks until I put here to sleep for the winter. I'll be taking a trip to the Catskills this weekend. I hope there are still still leaves left on the trees :)

Wallace River 10-23-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 470832)
That is beautiful. According to Google maps, you are only 3,516 miles and 50 hours away. It is also 40 degrees colder which means the car will run stronger the closer I get. Maybe I can do it in 48?

Haha, tell you what, we can switch homes. You can have the Nova Scotia winter and I'll take California :P
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 470834)
Nice photo. Having to put her away for such a long time is a bummer. I'd have some serious withdrawal issues.

Yea it happens.
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 470835)
Nice photo. That time of year has arrived. Mine heads into hibernation this weekend as well.

Thanks. I need one more good day!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 470842)
Yeah I will be putting my car away for the winter in 1 more week's time sadly.... the season for driving seems to be so short but I love the car more each Spring !!

If next spring was as easy to get her out as this spring, them I'm already waiting for it .
Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 470849)

LOL, my car came from down there, I think it's still going into culture shock with our winters.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 470860)
I figure I have around 2 more weeks until I put here to sleep for the winter. I'll be taking a trip to the Catskills this weekend. I hope there are still still leaves left on the trees :)

Know what u mean, the leaves are falling fast here. I was hoping for a weekend trip up around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, but sadly I don't think it's going to happen.

thstone 10-23-2015 11:47 AM

Great photo and beautiful scene. But there is no way that i could ever put away my Porsche's for months at a time. It would be too painful. Now that the temps have cooled down a bit, the fall and winter track season is just starting to ramp up down here!

crooster 10-23-2015 04:17 PM

Hoping to get a few more weeks in here in Ontario. A friend in PEI is putting his Boxster S away this weekend.

Jager 10-23-2015 04:30 PM

I have an idea... Everyone with Boxsters move to Santa Barbara. Then you can drive them every day with the top down.

herve_g 10-23-2015 04:52 PM

I feel your pain.
I'm getting ready to put mine in storage too, probably until next april. At least during that will give me time to plan my next upgrades :)

Bryanf 10-23-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herve_g (Post 470919)
I feel your pain.
I'm getting ready to put mine in storage too, probably until next april. At least during that will give me time to plan my next upgrades :)

I don't mean to hijack, but what are the advantages of putting the car away for the winter?? I live in Colorado and drive the box at least once a month during the winter on warmer dry days.

NewArt 10-23-2015 07:38 PM

Well, here we have winter tire laws, so if you're running on summer tires you would have to buy another set to drive on a few mild days.

tommy583 10-23-2015 07:49 PM

In upstate NY they put enough salt down to eat thru your car in a month. I don't take the car back out in the spring until it rains enough to turn the roads back to a black color. They use so much salt the roads actually turn white.

crooster 10-24-2015 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 470943)
In upstate NY they put enough salt down to eat thru your car in a month. I don't take the car back out in the spring until it rains enough to turn the roads back to a black color. They use so much salt the roads actually turn white.

Same here in Ontario!

Joe B 10-24-2015 06:28 AM

I just drive in winter on the same all season tires I use all summer, except when it's really icy or deep snow. And yes, we get winter in Jackson Hole WY ;)!

herve_g 10-24-2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanf (Post 470934)
I don't mean to hijack, but what are the advantages of putting the car away for the winter?? I live in Colorado and drive the box at least once a month during the winter on warmer dry days.

The roads in Montreal are covered in salt. They use so much of it, it's crazy.
We also have the obligation to have winter tires. All in all, it's easier for me to put the car in storage

Giller 10-24-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crooster (Post 470965)
Same here in Ontario!

You know folks, if this was actually true, there would be rust buckets all over the place. Yet, in reality - you see very few rusted out cars anymore.