986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is the correct way to drive through a curve (spirited driving)? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59260)

new2bxstr 10-23-2015 06:32 AM

What is the correct way to drive through a curve (spirited driving)?

When I come to an curvy exit ramp for example, do I accelerate going into it? Or midway into it? This is purely for fun to pull some Gs. Wondering what the correct way is.

BIGJake111 10-23-2015 06:39 AM

I like to roll onto the throttle from 3k rpm entering a sweeper and to have the revs at about 4.5k near the apex then full throttle from there on out

Timco 10-23-2015 07:04 AM

As fast as you can without sliding off.

BoxsterSteve 10-23-2015 10:55 AM

Shiny side up.
But seriously, as long as you don't jump on the brakes during a high G corner, the car will probably have more grip than you have cojones.

RedTele58 10-23-2015 11:05 AM

Flat out. That's the only way to drive. Flat out.

thstone 10-23-2015 11:33 AM

Get your braking done before turn-in or trail brake if you know how. Heel and toe if you have to downshift. Corner entry should be at a constant speed and mid-range rpm's. Try not to brake in the middle of the corner as it will upset the balance of the car - better to enter the corner too slow rather than too fast. A late apex always helps corner exit speed. Maintain speed, turn in, let the car roll and feel the suspension set; then throttle steer through mid-corner. Get back on the throttle to accelerate out of the corner and start to unwind the steering wheel as early as possible as you begin corner exit. Don't forget to use the entire width of the lane/road to allow the car to track out (to the extent possible). All the while, be aware of sand, gravel, and other road debris that might affect grip and adjust your line and control inputs accordingly.

That's it. Easy breezy. :)

If you really want to learn drive well, go to a local trackday and have an instructor ride along with you. You will learn the proper techniques, go faster than you ever could on the street, and have more fun than you ever thought possible.

Chuck W. 10-23-2015 12:26 PM

Sign up for an autocross. It gives you the opportunity to test the limits of your Boxster in a safe environment. I have PSM (Porsche Stability Management) on my Boxster. I have run autocrosses with it on and off. I've learned a lot. I learned that even with the PSM on I was able to lose control of the car and spin it. In the owner's manual it states that PSM cannot overcome the law of Physics... they were right. It is great to have learning lessons in an Autocross environment than on an on ramp.

You also meet some great folks at the events.

Luv2Box 10-23-2015 02:01 PM

As fast as you can with a big grin on your face.:dance:

NewArt 10-23-2015 02:20 PM

Go to a PCA DE day(s)! This will answer all your questions. Highly recommended, safe and fun! :):)

morgal48 10-23-2015 03:05 PM

Unless your talking about an exit ramp you are very familiar with, just be safe. If you're going into a corner you don't know, you can't know the apex, and without that info you won't know when to brake. Since you won't know when to brake, you won't know when to accelerate. As said, find a DE when you can. Working with an experienced instructor will increase your skills and confidence.

crooster 10-23-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 470868)
Get your braking done before turn-in or trail brake if you know how. Heel and toe if you have to downshift. Corner entry should be at a constant speed and mid-range rpm's. Try not to brake in the middle of the corner as it will upset the balance of the car - better to enter the corner too slow rather than too fast. A late apex always helps corner exit speed. Maintain speed, turn in, let the car roll and feel the suspension set; then throttle steer through mid-corner. Get back on the throttle to accelerate out of the corner and start to unwind the steering wheel as early as possible as you begin corner exit. Don't forget to use the entire width of the lane/road to allow the car to track out (to the extent possible). All the while, be aware of sand, gravel, and other road debris that might affect grip and adjust your line and control inputs accordingly.

If you really want to learn drive well, go to a local trackday and have an instructor ride along with you. You will learn the proper techniques, go faster than you ever could on the street, and have more fun than you ever thought possible.

^^^ this ^^^

Jager 10-23-2015 04:35 PM

Watch this video over and over until you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkdg4VMdyE

thstone 10-23-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 470916)
Watch this video over and over until you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkdg4VMdyE

Harry Hogge: What do you know about stock car racing?
Cole Trickle: Well... watched it on television, of course.
Harry Hogge: You've seen it on television?
Cole Trickle: ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
Harry Hogge: I'm sure I would.

Mark_T 10-23-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 470868)

I did a club/dealer-sponsored DE this spring with Porsche instructors (Kees Nierop and Jonathon Urlin) and this is exactly how they taught me to do it. Brake hard before the turn and go in slow, keep about 10% on the throttle through the middle part, and then ease on to full throttle (don't stomp it) on the way out. It took me about half the day to realize that I was trying to maintain too much speed going into the turn and I improved dramatically after that. The part that really stuck with me was how you use the front wheels to steer into the turn and the rear wheels to rotate the car out of it. It feels amazing when it works - major grin factor!

kk2002s 10-24-2015 07:54 AM

Slow in Fast out
As most say, hard on the brakes just before curve, Shift somewhere at that point. Even throttle through the turn until at some point you get on the throttle to come out. A lot depends on the radius and grading of the road. You may even feel when the car is ready for acceleration out. That acceleration is what changes the balance of the car and makes curves so much fun

Jager 10-24-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 470947)
Harry Hogge: What do you know about stock car racing?
Cole Trickle: Well... watched it on television, of course.
Harry Hogge: You've seen it on television?
Cole Trickle: ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
Harry Hogge: I'm sure I would.

Buy Need for Speed and practice, practice, practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeW_drTwlNI

Racer Boy 10-24-2015 05:36 PM

Be smooth! Smooth on the brakes (squeeze them), smooth steering inputs, smooth on the throttle (again, squeeze it). Abrupt inputs to any control can upset the attitude of the car and complicate things when you are really going quickly.

Smooth, smooth, smooth!

Timco 10-24-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 471057)
Be smooth! Smooth on the brakes (squeeze them), smooth steering inputs, smooth on the throttle (again, squeeze it). Abrupt inputs to any control can upset the attitude of the car and complicate things when you are really going quickly.

Smooth, smooth, smooth!

This applies to other things too........

Perfectlap 10-24-2015 06:59 PM

Exit ramp?

Don't take those fast until you've had one on one instruction with your local PCA autocross instructor.
After which you still won't take thise fast. I can count at least one forum member who tore the wheels right of the car after hitting the curbing at speed...if memory serves the damage otherwise didn't look that bad but was bad enough for the insurance company to call it game over.

gmboxster 10-25-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 470854)
Shiny side up.
But seriously, as long as you don't jump on the brakes during a high G corner, the car will probably have more grip than you have cojones.

LOL, this is Exactly what I have found !!!!! The car has more grip than I have Balls..