986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking for a hardtop for my 04 986S (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59249)

gatogrande 10-22-2015 12:02 PM

Looking for a hardtop for my 04 986S

I am looking for a hardtop for my Silver 04 986 S. I appreciate your help in locating one in good condition. Thanks very much

kjc2050 10-22-2015 01:03 PM

Set up and save a search on Craigslist.

Monitor this forum and others.

Check with Woody* & ask him to keep an eye open for you. *(member itsnotanova)

gatogrande 10-23-2015 07:17 AM

Thanks very much

kjc2050 10-23-2015 11:38 AM

Oh.... set up a search on eBay - they appear once in a while. Your local Craigslist might be your best bet, though, as shipping can be pretty steep.

itsnotanova 10-24-2015 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjc2050 (Post 470870)
Oh.... set up a search on eBay - they appear once in a while. Your local Craigslist might be your best bet, though, as shipping can be pretty steep.

X2

I've only ever had one chance to bid on a wrecked boxster with a hardtop from the insurance auctions and 78F350 had the winning bid for it. They can be hard to find and don't show up much at the auctions. I had to do some trading to get one for my boxster, but Craigslist is your best bet. I search CL in every big city in Texas every day. Anything under $750 is a good deal. I've seen them go for as low as $300 and as high as $1500 on there.

Make sure you're not buying one for a 996 also. They look similar.

jdraupp 10-24-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 470991)

Make sure you're not buying one for a 996 also. They look similar.

C'mon Woody, a couple bungee cords and she'll fit right on top.

PaulE 10-24-2015 04:08 PM

If you don't have them already, get your spinlocks and install them so you can pick up your hardtop when you find it. Don't forget to include Boxter, Porche, Hard Top and Hardtop in your search. I got mine in Seal Grey to match my paint winning an eBay auction 2 years ago. The auction was fairly local and I drove to pick it up and pay for it. Then I learned that there are both Boxster and Boxster S hardtops, the difference being the S version has a titanium colored plastic strip in the rear window molding to match the windshield molding. Somehow I lucked out and got the S version for my S. Then I saw a local craigslist ad where a bodyshop was selling a red hardtop for dirt cheap. Someone had brought it to the bodyshop to have it painted and never paid for it or picked it up so the body shop was just looking to get paid for painting it. My buddy has a red Boxster S and I told him to grab it but he didn't. Point is, they are out there, just keep looking.