Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ding Repair

I have removed several dings from the hood myself, but have a couple in my passenger door that I havent had much luck with. Gonna let the pros handle those, but was wondering what price range to expect. I dont want them to quadruple the price just because its a Porsche. I've done some searches and found numbers from $75 per panel up to $600-$700!?!

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2013 at 08:31 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

Garage
I had three taken out by a pdr guy. One on the clamshell, two on the driver side door just like yours. He charged me right at $100. I'm in Kansas (hails often) We have lots of those guys around. I wouldn't pay more than that. Door dings are fairly easy. The clamshell one was not.
good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's great to hear! Thanks!
I'll make some calls tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #4

Just picked up a 98 Boxster - had a guy go around the entire car. Very small dimples in driver's door, passenger door had a good shopping cart ding 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" long...same on the rear qtr just above the vent. Also, had the frunk and trunk smoothed out. Some pop-up dents, as well as a few depressed dents from previous owner pushing too hard to close the frunk. Took him about 2hrs...$200 and she's showroom new! Guy I found has been doing it for 20+ years...Very pleased...
SpikeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I actually have several "outies" on the rear lid as well. Like the trunk was closed with something too large in it. All of them are very small, but I think I'll get a quote on all of them. If I could get them all done for under $500, I'd be thrilled! (4 or 5 outies on the trunk, along with the two on passenger door)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #6

I have had a couple removed which averaged about $30 a ding.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Just curious, how are the dings and outies removed?

When shopping for cars I noticed that outies on the Frunk & Trunk are quite common, must remember to be careful closing them
when loaded.

Fortunately my metalic Black car does not seem to have any flaws so far, but everything shows like crazy on black.

I see a spider web strand blown across a fender and it looks like a scratch, but when its freshly clean and washed its a stunningly sexy beauty.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-31-2012 at 08:17 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Garage
I've seen outies removed with a plastic punch looking thing. They knock them down and then bring them back up again. Sometimes back and forth a few times until right.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I used the line board in the pic above, some basic hand tools, and lots of elbow grease. It was actually fairly easy after watching some paintless dent repair videos online. The best tool for me was a small hammer and a backward screwdriver. I used the smooth, slightly rounded plastic end of the handle as a punch, tapping the driver end with a hammer.

It's a back and forth process. Knock it out, tap it down, etc, until its perfect. That first was nerve racking, but it got easier. The two in the door are just hard to get to.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
BTW, I experimented on my poor old Dodge first.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

I am way too anal about the appearance of the Boxster. So, when I caused a very small outward ding on the top of the rear trunk lid I knew it had to be fixed. I came across this thread during my search. I had a tech out to my house and he was able to make the surface flat again but the paint was slightly marred. He had me meet him at a body shop and they buffed it out to a high shine. I feel like I dodged a bullet on this. I was afraid it was going to need to go to the body shop.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #12

Garage
Hey chuck, what did this cost you? I'm also contemplating taking mine in. Have the slightest dent in the left front quarter panel that drives me nuts.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #13

He tried to charge me $25! No way. I was so pleased I paid him $40. I had to force him to take the additional money. I have used him before. He is a great guy. Reading other post it ranges from $25 to $75 per ding or panel.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
He tried to charge me $25! No way. I was so pleased I paid him $40. I had to force him to take the additional money. I have used him before. He is a great guy. Reading other post it ranges from $25 to $75 per ding or panel.
Thanks for the info. It'll be on the ticket for spring with the tires and suspension refresh.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #15

Interesting topic, I was just watching videos yesterday too on Youtube about PDR. I was contemplating buying a kit and doing it myself. It looks like you really need a lot of practice and patience though, so I may just have it done professionally. I have a bunch of dings and some small dents in the car mostly on the passenger side. The hood has quite a few probably from a hail storm. I really don't want to have the car repainted, that would cost thousands. I bought the car sight unseen aside from photos and the body has no rust but a lot of dings. I'm not sure I would have bought it if I saw it in person, but it runs good and the interiors in nice shape and the price was fair I think. It was a one owner car with a clean Carfax, that's another reason why I bought it. I may just get an estimate, there's a local body shop that does PDR too. I might just wait until spring though.

joecal is offline   Reply With Quote