Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Garage
rear driveshaft

Hi guys, has anyone had experience of a rear driveshaft suddenly coming under bolted from the gearbox. Not sure at the moment if it is fixing failure as I am away and have not had chance to Jack her up to look

Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

They only come "unbolted" from the gearbox when they weren't torqued down properly to specs and with some locktite on the threads.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

Not usually unless someone has been messing with it... Have any service work done recently?

Shouldn't be a big deal, those bolts are tough just put 'em back and torque 'em down - should be good to go!
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
Not usually unless someone has been messing with it... Have any service work done recently?

Shouldn't be a big deal, those bolts are tough just put 'em back and torque 'em down - should be good to go!
Thanks. I will let you know what's find out.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Garage
I had this happen to my first boxster.

It has one bolt that didn't match the others from an indie shop that recently did a service.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

And there's a bunch of bolts too!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Garage
What year and what model. 2002 and Older base models can shear the bolts spirited driving, hopping the tires, hard acceleration right or left turn.

Once one goes the rest will follow in short order. If they come loose and you have driven very far grease starts coming out the CV joint. If there is any sign of grease clean the threads extremely well in the hole and get new bolts. the CV joint grease will prevent the Loctite from working and the result is the bolts will back out. Repack the bearing.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
What year and what model. 2002 and Older base models can shear the bolts spirited driving, hopping the tires, hard acceleration right or left turn.

Once one goes the rest will follow in short order. If they come loose and you have driven very far grease starts coming out the CV joint. If there is any sign of grease clean the threads extremely well in the hole and get new bolts. the CV joint grease will prevent the Loctite from working and the result is the bolts will back out. Repack the bearing.
Hi it's a 97 tiptronic. If the bolts shear off are they a pain to get out
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post

The car that I had it happen to was a 99 tip.

Can confirm the pain of getting the bolts out.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
Try to find some 5/16"steel brake tubing and a 12" 5/32" drill bit. Install the shaft with 2 bolts. Cut a 2" piece of the tubing insert it in the hole turn the shaft so the hole is to the rear. Run the long drill carefully through the tubing and bolt. Easy out the bolt.

I did 3 like this. I used a square Snapon /Blue point easy out set. I don't like the spiral type they can expand the bolt and lock it up worse.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Garage
Back off holiday to find that only 1 bolt had sheared off from the flange the other 5 had come loose. Unfortunately the drive shaft also took out the sub frame and the lambda sensor.
All bits ordered and next sat set aside to do the repair.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #12

FYI you can simply pull the flange off of the transmission to make the repair easier, or just buy a good used one and swap em out!

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote