Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Sticky Radio Knobs

I found a reference to Pedro's Sticky Knob Fix, but can't find the fix.... Can anyone lead me to a link? My knobs are sticky, but the radio works wonderfully.... A cheap fix is all I need.

steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Fix_Sticky_Radio_Buttons.html
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Thanks! and just after I posted I saw it in another section of the forum as well... I'll give it a shot!
steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
You know when I got my car last fall they were really sticky. I kept them to see if I can 'refresh' them. Anyway I bought new ones and it didn't take a 3 months before the one I touch the most (left) lost it's shine. Very strange. I'm a clean freak too but there must be enough oils or acid in my hands that it effect them so fast.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveboot
I found a reference to Pedro's Sticky Knob Fix, but can't find the fix.... Can anyone lead me to a link? My knobs are sticky, but the radio works wonderfully.... A cheap fix is all I need.

Obviously you didn't take notice of my knobs, I mean buttons !!

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29985
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #6

Sticky knobs no more!

Hi all...this is actually my first post. I used to be quite regular years ago on PPBB, but haven't been on the car boards much in last few years.

Ok...so back to the subject of this thread...I went to get in my car the other day...and the level of stickiness was just too disgusting to ignore any longer. I researched the threads and saw about the use of the plasti-dip, but decided to try one other thing as a last ditch effort.

I have several different solvents/thinners around, and first tried Naptha...no go.

Then tried Denatured Alcohol...bingo! :dance: Worked like a charm to remove all the residual stickiness. We'll see how time will work on this, but getting them unstickified is a big relief. I'm wondering if there is anything I could put on them that would make them less susceptible to the effects of sunscreen or?? whatever else causes the stickiness.

I'm thinking about making some custom ones out of exotic woods, like African Blackwood perhaps, or some sort of light burl that would contrast the savannah interior. If I do...I'll post a pic.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #7

I used the Pedro fix about 3 years ago on my sticky knobs and they are still good today. The stuff works great.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #8

Garage
It's been a year since my a "knob-job", and they're still looking and feeling great . In fact, I'm touching them now .
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #9

Garage
Just do the plastic dip fix. It's super easy, looks great and isn't sticky!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

Is there a fix for the AC knobs? Got my car back from the shop and now they are peelng?
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

The alcohol fix worked for me; now let's see if it lasts.
green03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

I bought new ones from the radio manufacturer out of N. J., about $20.00.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Thats it. Just cleaning them up with the denatured alcohol does the job? Thanks for the info guys.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I can't remember if I used alcohol or acetone, pretty sure it was alcohol. Cleaned them right up, and have been perfect ever since. It's been almost two years and no recurrence.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

Can you clarify? You cleaned them with alcohol and that was that, or did you clean with alcohol to remove the sticky coating and then use the plasti-dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Hi all...this is actually my first post. I used to be quite regular years ago on PPBB, but haven't been on the car boards much in last few years.

Ok...so back to the subject of this thread...I went to get in my car the other day...and the level of stickiness was just too disgusting to ignore any longer. I researched the threads and saw about the use of the plasti-dip, but decided to try one other thing as a last ditch effort.

I have several different solvents/thinners around, and first tried Naptha...no go.

Then tried Denatured Alcohol...bingo! :dance: Worked like a charm to remove all the residual stickiness. We'll see how time will work on this, but getting them unstickified is a big relief. I'm wondering if there is anything I could put on them that would make them less susceptible to the effects of sunscreen or?? whatever else causes the stickiness.

I'm thinking about making some custom ones out of exotic woods, like African Blackwood perhaps, or some sort of light burl that would contrast the savannah interior. If I do...I'll post a pic.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #16

Garage
Slippery Knobs

After replacing the driver’s side window regulator and locking mechanism today, I had to punched-in the radio code to unlock it (I disconnected the battery) and noticed my radio knobs were very sticky. So I used some brake cleaner and took a layer of whatever that sticky stuff was off and then sprayed the knobs with tire conditioner... Let’s see how this works.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
After replacing the driver’s side window regulator and locking mechanism today, I had to punched-in the radio code to unlock it (I disconnected the battery) and noticed my radio knobs were very sticky. So I used some brake cleaner and took a layer of whatever that sticky stuff was off and then sprayed the knobs with tire conditioner... Let’s see how this works.

Nice looking knobs there Jager !
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #18

This is such an easy, inexpensive fix. Remove them from the radio, wipe them thoroughly with rubbing alcohol until all sticky residue is gone. Put them back on the radio. Looks as good as new. I can't imagine why anyone would bother dipping them in liquid plastic or bother buying replacements.
MGR6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #19

Im guessing you have drink holders above your radio?

Sticky knobs are no mystery in that case...dumb design.

Its true that some folks get a nervous excitement while driving their 986, so perhaps thats the cause
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Im guessing you have drink holders above your radio?

Sticky knobs are no mystery in that case...dumb design.

Its true that some folks get a nervous excitement while driving their 986, so perhaps thats the cause
It's a degradation of the rubber, not due to foodstuffs. I cleaned mine with alcohol in December 2010 to remove the sticky rubber, and they're still in good shape now.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote