986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My S hit 74K today (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58888)

Pdwight 09-24-2015 05:28 PM

My S hit 74K today

I'm thinking about doing a preemptive Water pump replacement, I'm really thinking about a Gates brand..I have always had good luck with Gates in the past Ideas ??

Will probably do AOS at the same time...this will be about it before the huge clutch job in the next 2 years

JayG 09-24-2015 05:54 PM

Dwight

There are lots of threads about waterpumps, metal vs composite impellers, etc. Either go with Porsche or Pierburg. Pierburg makes the WP for Porsche

Go to warehouse33.net and get a Pierburg pump. If you email Jason there and tell him you are a rennlist member, he will give you 10% off so the WP is around $190.

replace the thermostat while you are in there, under $50. and don't forget the 3 gallons of virgin unicorn sperm know as Porsche Coolant. I just did my WP, thermostat and coolant flush and it came to around $350 including free freight

Also replace the WP bolts ()less that $5.00) . Even at 7 ftlbs, I somehow torqued off the head of one of the old ones

Timco 09-24-2015 05:54 PM

I thought the profanity filter was broken for a minute.

I don't want to hear about that s hit.

Pdwight 09-24-2015 06:02 PM

OMG Jay

That post made my wife laugh out loud

JayG 09-24-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 467539)
That post made my wife laugh out loud

virgin unicorn sperm ???

The Porsche coolant at $40/gal is stupidly expensive. At least you can get the distilled water from wallyworld for .88/gal to dilute it to 50/50
or of course buy it online for $4.00 /gal

jdlmodelt 09-24-2015 08:50 PM

when i do my pump, i probably won't use any of the snob parts listed in this post. I put a $75 starter in two months ago, I put $215 ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors a year ago. I don't expect them to perform any less than factory. I might be wrong. but then again, i might be right.

DrCactus 09-25-2015 03:40 AM

My car just rolled over the 87,000 KM mark.... its a 2001 S (summer driven only) here in Canada EH. I just installed new brake pads all around this summer and new filter. Replaced the Coolant res tank and head gasket few years back now.

Any ideas on what will be needed next so I can save up or try and find things on sale?

Pdwight 09-25-2015 03:46 AM

Same as me

Water pump and AOS, during a total flush of the cooling system and a low temp thermostat

Timco 09-25-2015 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 467550)
when i do my pump, i probably won't use any of the snob parts listed in this post. I put a $75 starter in two months ago, I put $215 ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors a year ago. I don't expect them to perform any less than factory. I might be wrong. but then again, i might be right.

For someone who drives a 'snob' brand to begin with, shaming those of us who bought name brand parts seems really lame. My starter was $150 or so (rebuilt, lifetime) but since my old WP had been scraping the sides of it's recess the impeller fits into, I went composite and Porsche water pump.

Tires and shocks from K-Mart? Only the cheapest gas?

Pdwight 09-25-2015 04:24 AM

I would not use a metal impeller water pump, the Gates I was looking at has a composite . We used a lot of Gates products in large scale Printing and Photo processing back in the 80's and early 90's and always had good luck with their products.

cardiffgiant 09-25-2015 04:52 AM

lol @ snob parts

When I do my own wrenching I prefer to dress like the banker from Monopoly, and look down upon the lower classes while I buy snob water pumps for my 15 year old boxster.

Kidding aside, fear of a metal impeller boring my engine block is why I went with a composite impeller.

steved0x 09-25-2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 467525)
I'm thinking about doing a preemptive Water pump replacement, I'm really thinking about a Gates brand..I have always had good luck with Gates in the past Ideas ??

Will probably do AOS at the same time...this will be about it before the huge clutch job in the next 2 years

When it was time to do mine I ordered a Gates (I have used Gates on my son's Miata and loved it) from Amazon as an experiment and when it came in it had a metal impellor (the listing was unclear with some folks saying it was composite and some saying metal), and also it did not spin as smoothly as I thought it should. I sent it back and got a Pierburg. Composite impellor and much smoother feeling rotation.

I was hopeful for the gates (at <$100) but for me it wasn't happening.

Steve

JayG 09-25-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 467550)

A starter won't grenade the engine
pads and rotors won't grenade the engine, though the do effect stopping ability
yes, other coolant can be used safely

a bad or failing or cheap water pump can cause lots of damage. Is saving maybe $100 worth it?

It's your car, do what you want

Perfectlap 09-25-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 467537)
I thought the profanity filter was broken for a minute.

I don't want to hear about that s hit.

I read it that way too.

DarkStar 09-25-2015 06:13 PM

I hit 83K today

Jager 09-25-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 467525)

Just make sure you get the S model AOS and the S model coolant. :)

Pilot2519j 09-26-2015 11:07 AM

Mine is at 92,000 and still motoring like the first day. Use it or lose it!!!!!