Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

Used Boxsters getting hard to find!!

I live in Ontario Canada and have noticed that on Kijiji there is not 1 Used Boxster for sale in all off Ontario and On Auto Trader theres only a couple.Whats going on,Are people keeping them longer,or buying them up when they found out Porsche is going to a 4 cylinder for 2017 on all Boxsters and Caymans and eventually the 911 due to fuel emissions ect.There is definitely a trend that ive noticed this summer on less available stock and prices seem to be holding unless in really rough shape.The S models are definitely holding and rare to find now.Glad I have one now.Guess we will see.

moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I looked and bought from the Los Angeles market. Many to choose from.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I just scanned Craigslist in the greater Los Angeles area and there are +/- 16 private party ads. Most of them are in the $7.5k to $12k range. 75k - 100+k on the ODO. Some of these have been listed for several months.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I think it is a consequence of the Canadian $ versus the US $. A few years back many used Boxsters (mine included) were being brought up from the sunbelt in the US and sold here in Canada. That was when the $ were on par. Now that the CDN $ is in the toilet (.75 US) it is not economical to buy down there and sell up here.

Just a thought of course.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Yes,i agree with all above.Worth noting is there is a dramatic price difference between the 08 to the 09 models.I take it that's because off the Direct injection motor and NO More IMS. Has anyone here tried both cars and can comment if there really that much better.I have an 06 S and cant amagine it being better but would luv to test one to see .
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Maybe there is something funky with your search settings. On Kijiji for Ottawa, Ontario there are over a dozen and on AutoTrader.ca there are 36 in Ontario under 20k.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moresquirt View Post
Yes,i agree with all above.Worth noting is there is a dramatic price difference between the 08 to the 09 models.I take it that's because off the Direct injection motor and NO More IMS. Has anyone here tried both cars and can comment if there really that much better.I have an 06 S and cant amagine it being better but would luv to test one to see .

Those cars are better with the new motor. But not as much as the price would suggest.

The reason for the price difference comes down to supply and demand. Not many Porsche's were sold in 2008 (MY 2009)
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Depends what you mean by "much better". Physically they are very similar - biggest thing for me is the PDK transmission. Some say it isn't as fun as a stick - but the performance is better as well as the fuel economy. Personally find it an amazing transmission.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
I live in Ontario Canada and have noticed that on Kijiji there is not 1 Used Boxster for sale in all off Ontario and On Auto Trader theres only a couple.Whats going on
I think what is going on is your search skills need a little brushing up.
I just searched kijiji.ca for Ontario and there are 10+ pages of Boxsters and parts.
Searched the auto trader in Ontario and they have 30 cars listed. Is there a specific year and colour you are looking for?
GaryMulcahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

There`s a good # of them in Ontario. How many have had the IMS bearing replaced ? Ask a used car dealer that one.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Tons of boxsters for sale in Ontario

My boxster had 206km on original motor and swapped due to cracked cylinder walls. Swapped another used motor with the original ims bearing. Mechanic said not as many fail as hyped online
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
There`s a good # of them in Ontario. How many have had the IMS bearing replaced ? Ask a used car dealer that one.
How many need to have the bearing replaced?