Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Garage
Strong gas smell

Last Friday, 5 days ago, while getting gas, I was putting the nozzle into the car and a BUNCH of gas spilled into the gas door area. It didn't pool up, and went down the drain in the filling area.

Since then, when stopped and the car is running, a strong smell of gas is in the car. While driving it goes away. When I park in the garage for the night, I notice the smell if I go back out to the garage.

There does not seem to be any leaks. I took it to the shop, where they did a pressure test and looked for leaks and all was good. I looked in the frunk area, where the cabin filter is and could not really smell the gas. Of course I kind of smell it all the time now, thanks to my overactive imagination. Where the odor is the strongest is in the wheel well area, on the passenger side (US car, where the gas cap is).

Could the spilled gas be "trapped" someplace causing this smell to hang around? Does anyone have any other ideas?

The gas cap is tights, and it doesn't even smell that strong in that area. The car is also not throwing any codes.

As always, thanks in advance and this forum is the best!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

Garage
Fuel sending unit????

So I did a more detailed search, and I think I might have found my problem. (I know, search is your friend).

If it is the fuel sending unit, anyone have advice where to buy. Pelican wants about $300

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

I had a gas smell in my Boxster for weeks that would choke a horse! I had the car checked for leaks twice. None found. Then I noticed the seal on my gas cap was cracking in several places and beginning to disintegrate. New cap ($16), no smell from then on.
Apparently the location and/or design of the fuel filler allows any gas leak or spill or residue in there to make its way into the cabin big-time!
At least in my experience.

Hopefully it will be something as simple (and cheap) for you.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

With that strong of odor, it would have a CEL I'd think if it was a real leak. My truck smells for a while or clothes that get gas on them. The odor lingers. Your cabin air filter pulls from that void where the battery is and the fuel tank top & retaining nut under that. Car wash. Wash that area out & where the gas went.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

i had the same smell, mine had a big crack in the top of the fuel sending unit, and gas was pooling in the top of it. replaced the unit and smell disappeared. i had my indy mechanic do it, cost almost 500.00. boo. and now i dont think my gas guage is accurate, it will never go up to 4/4 when its full.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote