Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Convertible top won't open, but windows go down?

I made the mistake of trying to close the top on my 2000 Boxster with the top handle latch closed. I didnt realized the latch was in the closed position and continued to hold the "close top" button down while the latch sat closed on top of the windshield connection segment (rather than interlocking with the connection segment). Once I realized the mistake, I opened the latch, secured/interlocked the top, but now the dreaded "top open" light won't turn off on my dashboard. Moreover, now the top won't open when I press the "open top" button - the windows go down a couple of inches like normal, and I hear the little engine by the clamshell make noise for a second or two, but no movement from the top.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? Doesn't sound like a fuse issue to me. Would trying to close the top with the latch in the closed position trigger some safety cutoff that I need to re-set? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!

griffen96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 AM   #2

First, check to be sure cables are attached to motor.
oldlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Project Addicted

Can you hear the motors running???

Once it's jammed, something usually breaks, like the plastic rod ends the lift the top up and down. There are plastic gears in the transmissions and the cables too. There are some threads here that explain how to get the top to work manually.

Check fuses and stuff yet??
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

I would check the fuses first, I know the C3 fuse operates the top, interior lights, and windows. It doesn't sound like that one though if the windows are lowering. There may be another fuse for the top but I'd have to look in the fuse booklet. I doubt if you did any real damage by doing that.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #5

I've searched the forum but can't track down the answer to my problem.

- Car sat for several weeks while doing minor repairs. Drove fine, top worked
- Car sat another week, started car, the light on the dash indicating the top was not shut was already lit before I hit the lever to open the top
- Dash light comes on when e brake is set
- windows drop a few inches as they should
- push the button on the dash, I can hear the motor for a few seconds, but nothing, clamshell does not move.

Several forum threads discuss checking cables.
How do you open the clamshell to check the cables?
Any suggestions on what else to check???
Old 09-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #6

Nothing? No suggestions on where to start?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Nothing? No suggestions on where to start?
Many of us have been through this, not that hard.
first, you need to look at it. The top is pretty simple, a couple of rods connect the clamshell and the frame. They need to be disconnected so you can articulate the top and check for cables, rod ends and transmission. Try this, be careful not to scratch up your paint!

https://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/faq/convertible-roof-stuck-working-can-closeopen-manually/

after that, convert to manual or repair the broken bits. motor is in the center with cables going to each side to transmissions for left and right. Transmissions are behind the foam "gutter" Plug up the drains so any small parts dont fall and get clogged. The cables break and one half rises, breaking the ends off of rods. The transmission gears break and top wont move. It is usually one side or the other, so report back and tell us what you find.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen96 View Post
I made the mistake of trying to close the top on my 2000 Boxster with the top handle latch closed. I didnt realized the latch was in the closed position and continued to hold the "close top" button down while the latch sat closed on top of the windshield connection segment (rather than interlocking with the connection segment). Once I realized the mistake, I opened the latch, secured/interlocked the top, but now the dreaded "top open" light won't turn off on my dashboard. Moreover, now the top won't open when I press the "open top" button - the windows go down a couple of inches like normal, and I hear the little engine by the clamshell make noise for a second or two, but no movement from the top.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? Doesn't sound like a fuse issue to me. Would trying to close the top with the latch in the closed position trigger some safety cutoff that I need to re-set? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I see this post is pretty old, but this problem is exactly what led me to this forum. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to check cables and what not when nothing opens.
Tacoboxster865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Here is a link to the forum hosts DIY page. Start with this and report back. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair.htm

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible top , microswitch