986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   01 S Rough start (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58549)

2speed 08-30-2015 10:43 AM

01 S Rough start

What up ...

Well I have an 01 Boxter S 131k sorta daily driver for past 3 years.
At start up runs bad.... hit the gas a little almost sounds like a backfire.
After a few moments . Everything is back to fabulous.

I have had maf and dirty throttle body issue in the past.
My plan was to remove t body . Clean and replace. Same with MAF.
And hope for the best.... Has anyone else had this issue ?. If so any tips on an issue to look for .
Thanks
MHD

Timco 08-30-2015 02:20 PM

Last time plugs were changed?

MAF is first suspect. Dose it smooth out when warmed up?

2speed 08-31-2015 06:17 AM

Thanks for the reply
Yes it smooths out in less than a min. The plugs.... great question. That is something I had not replaced . Had the car 3 years now. Guess it would be a good Idea.... My other thought was fuel filter. Just ordered one this past weekend . Plan to change that as well.

Thank you for your help
MDH

Timco 08-31-2015 06:20 AM

Isn't the fuel filter internal to the float devise and "lifetime"? I thought that entire float assy had to be swapped. May be later models.

Plugs made a HUGE idle difference to my car. Very smooth. And do clean the TB.

2speed 08-31-2015 06:29 AM

looked up fuel filter replacement for 986 and it is under the car . About in the middle . And it is only 50 bucks thought it couldn't hurt to replace it...

MDH

2speed 08-31-2015 06:32 AM

I tell you what I do not care for is removing the TB . I have dropped the studs several times trying to get that bottom right one out .

Frodo 08-31-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 464068)
May be later models.

Yup.......

2speed 09-15-2015 03:41 AM

Update to start up issue...
So I removed the TB and it was clean. Cleaned it replaced. Checked air filter it was clean.
Removed and cleaned the MAF. connected battery started car. It ran like crap /pop stumble stumble pop and stalled . At this point I was concerned. Cleaning everything solved this issue in the past. I remembered I had a used MAF I had purchased on ebay bouncing around the trunk.
Put that in.. Car ran great . Really great. More power , no flat spot in acceleration around 3K like before. Put 220 miles on it in the next two days . NO CEL. Very happy.
I think I will pick up a spare MAF just incase..

jdlmodelt 09-15-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2speed (Post 464070)
I tell you what I do not care for is removing the TB . I have dropped the studs several times trying to get that bottom right one out .

Take the air intake loose, remove the brace bolt at the bottom of the TB, loosen the two c clamps on the air plenums and rotate the TB upwards to access whatever you need to access. I might be making this too simple.

clickman 09-16-2015 07:45 AM

Plugs? Or possibly cracked coils - there could be a bit of residual moisture that goes once the car warms up...