Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Dash bulbs

In my recent adventure with Rocky it has been determined that my CEL bulb has been out for sometime. Since I now have the instrument pod out I might as well change out all the bulbs. I'm leaning towards using LED's just not sure on the right twist lock size are they T8's and T5's? Has anyone done this and recall which bulb they used?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Ask particle wave...whatever he says will be right
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Well, that's kind of a trick question. The warning indicator bulbs are T5 style wedge bulbs, but the contacts are spot welded directly to the bulb, so you can't just replace the bulb. The twist locks are somewhat unique since the keyways are so narrow.
You'll also need to be sure that you get the polarity correct or you'll never know when a warning indicator comes on.

If you just want to replace the gauge cluster backlighting, www.sportscarleds.com has kits for pre-facelift clusters (this is what I used).

These may work for the warning indicators and the 3 LCDs on '97-2000 pre-facelift clusters without the larger center LCD display, like mine pictured below. The problem is the lock keyway is large, while ours are small.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Twist-Lock-2-2835-SMD-T5-Instrument-Cluster-Indicator-Led-Bulbs-White-Light-/261968318158

The rotary gauges take 2 x T5's and 2 x T10's.

T10's that fit the rotary gauges.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3X-T10-White-LED-Bulbs-with-Twist-Lock-Holders-Instrument-Gauge-Cluster-Lamp-/171904729813

May need to trim the keys on new twist locks to fit into our narrow keyways.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-27-2015 at 11:20 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 AM   #4

Thanks! I have no aversion to filing. Maybe I'll punt and order a 996 cluster Perhaps I can sneak that past the Financial Control Officer along with a new set of seats.