Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

O2 sensor CEL's - Help!

I recently had to rebuild cv joints on my 1997 tip boxster after several spirited DE days (and a couple off track excursions). I chose to pull the whole axle which required taking apart the exhaust. I got it all back together and am now throwing 3 CEL codes all having to do with the O2 sensors. I have the following codes:
P1119 - fault code 5 - oxy sensor heating 2 ahead of cat - below lower threshold
P0154 - code 18 - oxy sensor ahead of cat (cyl 4-6) - interruption of signal
P1115 - code 13 - oxy sensor heating 1 ahead of cat - below lower threshold

What the heck is the problem? The exhaust is tightened well and I do not hear any exhaust leaks. I have not changed anything else during this repair.

The car threw these code one time on the way home from a DE day but I cleared them and they never returned until now.

I have cleared these codes several times, driven the car a fair amount (50 miles or so) and the codes keep coming back.

HELP! Please!

brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

So the car did throw the same codes before you even took the exhaust off to do your work?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #3

Not certain of prior codes

The car did throw oxygen sensor codes once before after my first track day but I am not certain what the codes were that time. I reset the codes upon returning home and they never returned until now (4 months and 2,000 miles later).

Any ideas what is going on? Is it actually the O2 sensors or is it MAF sensor problems?

Thx
Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Those codes seem to be all over the place. I hope the more experienced members would chime in. But if I were faced with the same codes, I would go back and check all the electrical connections to make sure they're good. Then if that doesn't do it, I guess you would need access to a scanner to see live data from those O2 sensors before replacing anything. If you didn't touch the MAF sensor at all, I doubt it would cause any trouble.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Update with solution

I replaced the front 2 oxygen sensors (Bosch from pelican for $77 each) and the cel's are gone. Reset the light, drove 50 miles and all is good.

Super easy replacement and fix; for $150 not too spendy.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Great! Thanks for sharing the experience. Sometimes the car might need to go through certain cycles before triggering a code, but hopefully yours are gone for good.

I'm curious how many miles you have on those old O2 sensors? Mine are 140,000 and are still going. Sometimes I want to replace them thinking they might go dead soon, but you know, if they ain't broke (yet), don't fix them.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #7

Car is 1997, has 37,000 miles and had been a garage queen for the last 15 years, driven very sporadically and gently. Until I bought it a year and a half ago...now it has 4 track days, some exhaust and intake mods and is being driven like it should be driven!