Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

New Owner!!!

Hi all,

New owner - new member - first post:

Just bought a 2001 2.7 Boxster 2 days ago and couldnt be happier!!! Was in amazing condition with 80,000 miles on the clock and I purchased for £5100.

Have always wanted a Boxster and I finally own one so over the moon.

My first question:

Obviously I did a lot of research before buying and the one that popped up everywhere was this IMS failure. I thought long and hard about it and decided to not let it scare me off. Now, do you think its worth me having the bearing replaced with an upgraded version or take my chances? Basiclly what would you do? Ive heard people having it done when they replace the clutch but without being an expert, the clutch feels like it has plenty of life in it yet. Bites nice and low.

Have been reading a lot on this forum the past couple of weeks and found it so helpful!!!

Thanks

paolodiquigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Garage
I'm not sure about other people but myself, I don't mess with stuff that isn't broken... once you start down that road you will always find something to replace! Your first season with it, just DRIVE and ENJOY...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Run

I have an 03 with 70K miles I am still going with my original bearing. One of my Sunday driver cars only time I think about it is when I read one of these post.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

Your 2001--like mine--could be early production and therefore have the factory double row bearing and not be subject to the class action suit.

This MAY mean you'll be a little less likely to ever have a problem.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

If you have any uncertainty about the maintenance history of the car, or if the car spent long periods of time sitting idle, then it's a no-brainer. Especially considering you only paid a few quid for the car.

These engines like to driven often and for long stints. A regiment of short trips or infrequent drives is not good for the car. Moisture builds up inside and turns the oil acidic which wears at the internals.
I'd have the waterpump and IMS replaced soon if both are on their factory originals and you intend to own the car for a few years. Also replace the coolant cap to the latest version (important) and set aside some money for AOS, a common repair. All the above mentioned are the parts that can take down the engine. Any other repairs simply affect drive-ability. If you didn't have a pre-purchase inspection done before buying I would recommend doing a leak down and compression test first to see if the engine is worthy of some big ticket repairs like the IMS. Also check the oil pan to see if you spot any glittery mettalics.

Are Boxsters this cheap in the UK generally? That's definitely a low price here in the U.S. for a 2.7 with only 80K miles.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-31-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

Well I'm putting some money aside incase I have to have something done. Is there a way to tell if I have the single or double row? The only reason I would have it done is for piece of mind but considering the car has made it to 80000 miles no problem would that be an indicator that it could last for a fair bit longer yet? I didn't have a check done, just researched on here the things to look for and took it out for a decent test drive to get a good feel for it. I also checked all the service history and receipts. The water pump and fuel pump were done last year and it had a full service 4000 miles ago. I'm really not sure what to do regarding the ims. Does anyone know a pretty accurate figure how much it would cost to have done? Have seen a few prices that vary greatly.

Thanks again

As a car for driving I can't say enough good things about it, unlike anything I've driven before!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Glad you have not bought into the fear mongering

The clutches don't really give you much warning when they need to be replaced, they just start to slip and then you need to get it replaced ASAP before you may damage the flywheel

the IMSB failure issue has been blown out of proportion IMHO

Can the bearing fail, YES
is there a large % of ones that have actually failed, NO

At 80K miles, the likelihood it will fail now is low, especiallif the car has had regular oil changes and was not a garage queen only driven every now and then or just very short trips.

I have 72k on my Boxster and 90K on my 996 Targa. Both have the original IMSB
When I do the clutch, I will probably replace the IMSB, cant hurt and with the tranny oppulled, its not much more cost to have it done.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolodiquigley View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Well I'm putting some money aside incase I have to have something done. Is there a way to tell if I have the single or double row? The only reason I would have it done is for piece of mind but considering the car has made it to 80000 miles no problem would that be an indicator that it could last for a fair bit longer yet? I didn't have a check done, just researched on here the things to look for and took it out for a decent test drive to get a good feel for it. I also checked all the service history and receipts. The water pump and fuel pump were done last year and it had a full service 4000 miles ago. I'm really not sure what to do regarding the ims. Does anyone know a pretty accurate figure how much it would cost to have done? Have seen a few prices that vary greatly.

Thanks again

As a car for driving I can't say enough good things about it, unlike anything I've driven before!!!
Mileage as a decider goes out the window if the car was owned by different people who treated the car differently. You can have a car that was driven and maintained correctly, and then a new owner benefits. Or on the other hand you can have a car that had all the wrong type of oils, oil change intervals that were too long, the car sat idle for long stretches, and was then taken a long road trips, the oil was not changed IMMEDIATELY before storage, and so it went for 14 years. One is a prime candidate for an IMS failure, the other is not. How do you know which is which simply going off the odometer?
And there really have been no comprehensive studies (that have been made public) about a correlation between mileage and IMS failure. And even then this would be problematic because all cars are treated and driven differently.

The only way to know if you have the more problematic single row is if the previous owner replaced the bearing or if you take down the transmission and have poke inside.

But it's true the IMS issue is overblown because we have had a way of addressing this for many years now, one that does not require removing the engine and can be done in a single day at the shop. In the many years I've been on this forum I don't' recall a single instance where someone came on here and reported an IMS failure after upgrading the bearing. Meanwhile there have been many failures from folks with 2001-2004 cars that procrastinated. What is not overblown and not discussed enough are the number of people who procrastinate on replacing the water pump, this is far more likely to be the culprit of a downed engine than the IMS.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-31-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Glad you have not bought into the fear mongering

The clutches don't really give you much warning when they need to be replaced, they just start to slip and then you need to get it replaced ASAP before you may damage the flywheel
That is for sure!! I had decided to do my IMS, when the clutch went. Out for a drive a few weekends ago, and the clutch felt fine when I left. 45 minutes later, I could barley move the car. I had the LN bearing put in when the clutch was done, but my old bearing was in perfect condition.
My advice would be to enjoy it until the clutch goes, and then have it done! Congrats!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

If you can't sleep at night, then replace it ASAP.

If you can sleep but still worry, then replace it when you do the clutch.

If you're not worried at all, then don't worry (and don't do anything).

I have had three major engine failures and none were caused by the IMS bearing (140,000 miles, 205,000 miles, and 300 miles (don't ask about that one)). Plus just sold my 996 still running strong with 146,000 miles on the original bearing.

Also, both IMS bearings on the 140K and 205K mile failed engines were in perfectly good condition (both early double row).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Hello paolo, enjoy the car. I bought mine 5 years ago, 2002 Boxster S. Like you I did the research first. I read a lot about the IMS, RMOS, AOS D chunk ect. I changed the oil and filter straight away and cut open the filter to make sure there was no ferrous metal in there. Everything was fine, so I just change the oil every time I store it away for the winter. I use mine for six months most days every year. My clutch was fine when I bought it and it still is now. If the clutch goes sometime I am not sure what I will do. Will I do the IMS and RMOS at the time, all I can say is I will decide when I take the box (trany) out. My IMS is probably a single row, yours could be a double row. If I was the type to worry about the IMS I would have had it done before now, but I am not, I don't think about it I just drive the car. It gets a real good thrashing in 1st and 2nd most days, it loves it, right up to the red line. They are meant to be driven and revved these cars. Its done 92,500 up to now, no funny noises, runs very sweet indeed. I love this car and have no intentions of selling it, I cant wait to drive it tmoz.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies, very informative! I'm having the car checked out tomorrow as I have a tiny oil leak which is likely to be the rms? It's bang in the middle of the rear wheels but it's tiny, a little drop each day and the oil level gauge hasn't moved.

Ps. I paid £5150 for the car, haggled down from £5500. But yes, this seems to be the going rate for a 2001 boxster. Car is a bargain, although I am assuming I'm going to have a few repairs carried out over the next couple of months to get it into a1 condition
Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
GrayGhost

Caveat Emptor

Hi all.

Not a new owner but on my 2nd boxster. Last year I bought a 2001 base and was assured that the IMS was "not a problem" and had not been seen by the author of that phrase when I enquired about the problem. Foolishly I ignored my instinct to get it done and delayed the installation of the solution. Needless to say that is how I am now on my 2nd Boxster. I suffered a catastrophic engine failure 6 mos into my ownership.
There is nothing like seeing the car's lifeblood spewing out the rear end as it sits by the curb in front of your house.

Get the IMS replaced ASAP "run don't walk"!!!

I subsequently risked it, and purchased from a local repair shop, a 2004 S with the latest retrofit from LN Engineering as well as a variety of other fresh bits........basically a refreshed engine.

I must confess that I still have IMS anxiety and likely will for the next 1-2 years or until I've had a couple of oil changes with no shavings.

Anyway that's my thoughts and other misc. ramblings.

04 Boxster S 6 speed
Kbergen51 is offline   Reply With Quote