Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Help with Double DIN conversion

I'm putting in a double DIN into a 2003 S and intended to move the AC controls down as I've seen on other threads. The wiring harness is very tight and allows me to move the AC control panel about a quarter inch max. Anyone have advice on moving the AC controls? I'm thinking about just putting the double DIN in the lower console, but that's a compromise.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I'm putting in a double DIN into a 2003 S and intended to move the AC controls down as I've seen on other threads. The wiring harness is very tight and allows me to move the AC control panel about a quarter inch max. Anyone have advice on moving the AC controls? I'm thinking about just putting the double DIN in the lower console, but that's a compromise.

Nope, you have to remove the AC white subframe and try to extend the cables. It is very much worth the hassle.

Tips:

AC all the way at bottom near shifter.
You will never hit it because it's at the base of the lever.

Then on top of the AC, where the gear lever hand rest is, there is a little pocket thing, perfect place to put in cell phone.

The double din was a pain because they have to take apart all of it I order to properly manage the cables.

Took 4-6 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.JonathanLanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
When you say you can only move the AC controls a quarter of an inch, do you mean you cannot even pull them out to disconnect the wiring?

If that is the case, I would remove the triangular carpet panels under the center console (they pop off), and try to reach up and loosen the wires, or feel for any catches/snags. It is possible to reach all the way up from the bottom, but you might want to wear gloves as there are some sharp edges.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JonathanLanda View Post
Tips:

AC all the way at bottom near shifter.
You will never hit it because it's at the base of the lever.
I couldnt disagree more. You may never "hit it" but the climate control buttons and display are partially blocked by the shifter making it an extremely poor location. A tiptronic, ok maybe it works a little better, maybe. But in a manual like mine (and the OP's) its the worst choice. If it werent for my double din in the upper console the climate controls would be up top and much more easily accessible. Porsches' decision to make the lower console only allow for climate control on the very bottom is about as brilliant as their decision to have a fan installed in the front of the car that completely dusts your car on dirt roads when the AC is on. Ive tried to find alternative lower console housings, that allow for the climate control to go up to the next to the bottom slot, but to no avail.

Last edited by TypeA; 08-08-2015 at 08:30 AM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
I couldnt disagree more. You may never "hit it" but the climate control buttons and display are partially blocked by the shifter making it an extremely poor location. A triptronic, ok maybe it works a little better, maybe. But in a manual like mine (and the OP's) its the worst choice. If it werent for my double din in the upper console the climate controls would be up top and much more easily accessible. Porsches' decision to make the lower console only allow for climate control on the very bottom is about as brilliant as their decision to have a fan installed in the front of the car that completely dusts your car on dirt roads when the AC is on. Ive tried to find alternative lower console housings, that allow for the climate control to go up to the next to the bottom slot, but to no avail.

If You say so, you can program you auto button to your specific climate needs and that's the only one I hit. Put the top press auto. 60, recycle and vents. Press it one more time and it turns off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.JonathanLanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
2002 Boxster S

My climate control came in the bottom location and it never bothered me in the least. I adjust it from time to time and never found any issue.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Garage
I moved AC controls to the bottom, radio one slot above it and iPad mini in the remaining football sized opening. Never had a problem selecting temp settings or fan functions.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439054292.111572.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  333.1 KB
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #8

Hey boss....what counter measures are there lurking in your batwing?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
Very nice interior epapp! What are the controls (or lights?) in the batwing?

Still working on the install, the AC controls only pull out about a quarter of an inch. I am going to have another go at loosening the wiring harness. Leaning toward double DIN in the bottom for simplicity of installation. I've been thinking about pros and cons and have not come up with a compelling reason to choose upper or lower installation. I think that I just have an unfounded preference for the upper position. The question is how much work I'm willing to do to enforce that preference, particularly while working in 104 degree heat.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think the lower section will offer enough depth to clear a Double DIN and the wiring. Make sure you check that before you start cutting away the brackets, if you go with the lower position.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I don't think the lower section will offer enough depth to clear a Double DIN and the wiring. Make sure you check that before you start cutting away the brackets, if you go with the lower position.
Will do-Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Depth looks like it would work, but cutting the plastic frame to make it wide enough to accept the width of the radio would take most of the strength out of it so a compelling reason to go back to trying the upper mounting location.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Beginner

Garage
Mystery solved on the immobile AC control panel. The cabling for the AC was pinched in the upper duct to plenum interface so it had no slack. That's the second time I found a problem with the build. I think mine might have been built on a Monday.

Last edited by Jamesp; 08-08-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #14

Check post #13 on this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

I had to relocate my HVAC controls as part of my navigation unit install and found that removing one of the ducts made it a lot easier.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
So it is in, and sitting in the driveway it works great. Problem is, when the car moves it shuts down. Very predictable, drive at a crawl, less than 5 mph, and it works. Gently accelerate to anything above that (forward or reverse) and it turns off. Does the Boxster cut power to any radio lines when the car starts moving? There are certainly many more wires to the original head unit than the aftermarket.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #16

Is it possible that there is a defect in the headunit? (The only way I can think to check that is to swap in a different unit.)

There are some differences between the 2000 and 2003 Boxster audio systems, and I don't think I can apply my experience directly to your conditions. I guess if I ran into the problem you have, I would check for a loose wire before I swapped the headunit. Did you solder the connections or use crimp connectors?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 08-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Soldered connections, unit removed and replaced 3 times for troubleshooting. The connectors are solid. Its losing power due to vehicle motion which makes me thing either the vehicle stops providing power, or the unit senses the motion though its GPS and shuts itself down. very safe that, there's no way it can distract you while driving.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #18

Given that you have triple-checked your work, I think the most likely cause is a defect in your head unit. I know this is frustrating.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
Beginner

Garage
There is a wire in the main power connector that provides 12V when the car is stopped, and the voltage decreases as the car moves. That is what was turning off my new stereo. New ACC wire run and problem solved.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #20

Garage
Hey folks - hopefully someone can help me... I installed a double din into my car and everything seemed great... until this morning I start the car up and the stereo unit turns on and works but all the settings and setup I did last night seem to be gone.... it reset back to factory (lighting configuration, EQ settings, etc). Any idea if I did something wrong during install that which cause this ???