986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake Rotor Resurfacing (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58205)

hancock1701 08-06-2015 09:50 AM

Brake Rotor Resurfacing

I've had this happened to me twice, so I was just wondering what other people do. When I replaced the pads, I measured the rotor, and thickness was still above the minimum. However, when I took it to the store (Pepboys) to get resurfaced, they wouldn't do it because it wasn't "thick enough".

I didn't have time to go around to see which shop would do it, but what would you do if nobody would turn your rotor even though it's still within spec? Is there a limit where it's thick enough to use, but no enough to be resurfaced? Mine didn't have any abnormal or uneven wear, just wanted it to be perfectly flat.

JayG 08-06-2015 10:06 AM

IIRC, there is only 2 mm between "new" and minimum
Turning them might remove enough material to put them below minimum

Most people replace the rotors and do not get them turned

DrCactus 08-06-2015 10:13 AM

Any suggestions on where I can buy new rotors at good prices ? I am going to install new brake pads tonight - my first attempt on my own! Wish me luck... actually I need a few horse shoes on top of the luck! lol

JayG 08-06-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 460323)
Any suggestions on where I can buy new rotors at good prices ? I am going to install new brake pads tonight - my first attempt on my own! Wish me luck... actually I need a few horse shoes on top of the luck! lol

Amazon and Ebay, but you wont get them today

Hopefully you have a Motive power bleeder. It makes bleeding super easy

thstone 08-06-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 460320)
Turning them might remove enough material to put them below minimum...

+1.

That and they'd rather sell you new rotors. :)

hancock1701 08-07-2015 07:52 AM

Another question is do you know where to get those troublesome screws (for Porsche and Honda) that hold the disk? I seem to strip then have to drill and break them every time I change rotors.

JayG 08-07-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 460457)
Another question is do you know where to get those troublesome screws (for Porsche and Honda) that hold the disk? I seem to strip then have to drill and break them every time I change rotors.

pelican parts

hancock1701 08-07-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 460458)
pelican parts

That's fast. Thanks! But do you happen to know anywhere else (I mean locally)? :( because I usually order from RockAuto and Amazon.

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 08:02 AM

ECS Tuning has them as well.
But shipping might be expensive for 12 screws...

san rensho 08-07-2015 09:58 AM

If the rotors are not warped, in other words, no vibration when you brake, then just re-use them until they reach the wear limit.

Even if they have nasty gouges, as long as they don't vibrate, you are good.

JayG 08-07-2015 10:24 AM

Your local Porsche dealer

If you are in the San Diego area, try TC's Garage. Tom may have them

Maybe your local Indy, they might sell you a few

IIRC, you can do without them as the rotor will align on the hub (?) and the wheel will keep it in place
I could be wrong on that YMMV

Timco 08-07-2015 10:26 AM

Where's KRAM when we need him???

stephen wilson 08-07-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 460475)
If the rotors are not warped, in other words, no vibration when you brake, then just re-use them until they reach the wear limit.

Even if they have nasty gouges, as long as they don't vibrate, you are good.

Yup. I just slapped a set of EBC red on mine a few years ago, next time it gets new rotor and pads. I didn't even use the anti-squeal pads and they've been as quiet and strong as ever.

Pdwight 08-07-2015 08:16 PM

Red Stuff

I have these on my old E36 and my S, best brake pads I have ever used

thstone 08-07-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 460487)
IIRC, you can do without them as the rotor will align on the hub (?) and the wheel will keep it in place...

Correct, the only function of the screws are to hold the rotor in place before the wheel is installed (especially before the caliper is installed). I have run my cars without the screws on occasion and lived to tell the tale! Once the wheel is installed, the lug bolts firmly secure the rotor to the hub.