986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's this Limited Edition Boxster S worth? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58201)

kjc2050 08-06-2015 05:49 AM

What's this Limited Edition Boxster S worth?

Any thoughts? Love the color, low miles, but $40K+?

Porsche Boxster s Limited Edition | eBay

Wallace River 08-06-2015 06:35 AM

No idea on price, but LOVE the color. For a 2008 price doesn't sound that bad to me but I haven't compared anywhere.

tomonomics 08-06-2015 06:37 AM

It was an appearance package from the NY Auto show.....250 base models and 250 of the S. Basically it was a package with the 911GT3 Orange color and the Sportdesign Package (front lip, rear spoiler/bumper, and alcantara). That's almost an $8k to $10k premium over a similarly equipped 2008 S.

The 2008 RS60 limited edition (1,960 produced) has an upgraded exhaust, a few extra HP, and the GT Silver special color. I'd think those would hold their value better.

Having said that, for $43,000 you are a few grand away from a 2011/2012 Boxster Spyder. That's the better buy, collectible or otherwise IMHO.

RandallNeighbour 08-06-2015 06:43 AM

Also think of resale when it comes to bright colors that aren't red. Someone will fall in love with it but you'll have a lot of guys like me that think it would be fun to own for just weekends, but I wouldn't dare show up to the office or a client meeting in a Porsche that color due to all the attention it would draw.

RedTele58 08-06-2015 06:56 AM

I've seen a few of the orange cars up close. They are pretty tempting if I was to move up from a 986.

thstone 08-06-2015 08:16 AM

Appearance only special editions won't typically command much of a premium in resale. Performance upgrade special editions (especially where the performance bump is substantial) have proven to be quite valuable on the resale market.

In this case, special order Orange paint and a couple of bolt-on pieces isn't likely to add a lot of value except to that one person who absolutely loves that color and can't live without owning that car.

I wish the seller good luck in finding that person.

husker boxster 08-06-2015 01:18 PM

Being the owner of one of those orange Boxster Ss, I figure the current premium is at most $4K over std price but most of that is the fact that they came with a lot of options. The other variable is which # of the 250 you have.

I doubt the seller will get his price. $44 gir is way over the price of a normal 08S and #228 isn't that big of a deal. I guess the old adage of 'you can always ask' comes into play here.

If he does get that price, I'll have to seriously consider selling my #005.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1438895876.jpg

Porsche9 08-06-2015 02:58 PM

I'd consider orange as I like bright cars and don't really care what others think. Not sure I'd pay a premium just cause of the color or that it's a limited edition. Factory performance upgrades is another thing.

Tomonomics, do 2011/2012 Boxster Spyder's really sale in the mid to high 40's? I've seen a number recently for sale deep into the $50s. That may be just what they are asking.

BIGJake111 08-06-2015 03:41 PM

I have to say I love the color. It's kind of smooth. Something about it hides the lines of the car very well making it like a candy drop or something. Also I think I found the first example of black wheels that I really really like! I keep seeing C7s with black rims that simply do not look good.

cfos 08-06-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 460373)

Tomonomics, do 2011/2012 Boxster Spyder's really sale in the mid to high 40's? I've seen a number recently for sale deep into the $50s. That may be just what they are asking.

Or more. One here at the dealership: https://saltlakecity.porschedealer.com/preowned/Porsche/Boxster+Spyder/2011/Black/black/1274204/info.php

EJ-Fresno 08-06-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos (Post 460401)

You pull a rope to open the doors on the latest models? :D

tomonomics 08-07-2015 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RE: Spyders -- There are two on Ebay right now asking ~$51 and $53k, and a similar one that was listed for $53 sold for 'Best Offer'. A few weeks ago one was listed by a dealer for $49k.

Porsche Boxster Spyder | eBay

I'd guess there are enough on the market right now that you should be able to find a private party in the high forties, obviously dependent on mileage/options. The release of the new Spyder is likely driving them down a bit as well.

(adding pic as description doesn't show price)

pony13ca 08-07-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 460385)
I have to say I love the color. It's kind of smooth. Something about it hides the lines of the car very well making it like a candy drop or something. Also I think I found the first example of black wheels that I really really like! I keep seeing C7s with black rims that simply do not look good.

+1 She's a beauty!!!!

Chuck W. 08-07-2015 06:36 AM

I have a thing for orange cars. Perhaps because I had an orange MGB going through college and relate it to my long gone youth. Either way, that is a beautiful Boxster. Sometimes it is worth paying a premium to get what you want.

JFP in PA 08-07-2015 07:55 AM

I sometimes have to chuckle at the prices asked for "limited edition" Boxsters. Recently, someone posted a for sale ad for one asking $49K on the same day that we had the exact same model (with fewer miles and more options) on the lift for a PPI, and it was selling for about half the price of the one that noted "ridiculous offers will be ignored" in its ad.

Perfectlap 08-07-2015 08:18 AM

When it comes to any water-cooled Porsche, the only "limited" factor that gets a premium among knowledgeable and informed buyers if a limited production engine (like the GT3, GT3 RS or RS 4.0). Otherwise mass produced engine in a "limited edition" Porsche still makes it a mass produced car. And actually it can be a negative because special edition colors can turn off a big part of the pool of buyers...kind of like selling a new house with a pink interior painted by Yoshi. Great value for a fan of that but most aren't interested in something so conspicuous.

The value in that car you posted is the low mileage and CPO from an actual Porsche dealership. But being a 987.1 means its likely to take a hit on resale since the 987.2's are now a full calendar year out of warranty and will begin pushing down the prices of all Boxsters below it very soon. If 987.2 Spyders's are now dipping into the $40K's I think that SE orange Boxster is $35-37K, probably on the higher end since the car is essentially like new. I bought my 986 S with only 9K miles for about 50% of the original sticker. A mass produced water-cooled Porsche with only 20K miles is maybe the perfect jumping on point. Let the previous owner take the hit on depreciation, save a boat load, get a like new Porsche and sell the car after a couple of years so that the next owner deals with new suspension, clutch, etc.,etc.... "In by 20K out by 50K" then with the savings, go buy some shares of the VHT, VGT or VDC. win win.

husker boxster 08-09-2015 11:53 AM

This is what I was looking for 3 yrs ago before I ran across my current CSS.

Porsche Cayman Rare S Sport Limited Edition, 2008, Orange

At the time I thought it would be neat to have a pair of orange cars, but now I'm glad I have the green one.

Saw a Lava Orange 911 GTS cab at Woodhouse on Fri. LOVED that color.

BIGJake111 08-09-2015 06:52 PM

A guy at the local cars and coffee has a Porsche design edition cayman.

Supposedly really rare he said something about 26 in the USA. What makes the car look so good though is that it's a metallic black paint with flat black stripes.

cas951 08-09-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 460813)
A guy at the local cars and coffee has a Porsche design edition cayman.

Supposedly really rare he said something about 26 in the USA. What makes the car look so good though is that it's a metallic black paint with flat black stripes.

I was able to look at the productions numbers a few years ago. The website no longer work but this is what I posted a few years ago.

Factory Buils sheet - Rennlist Discussion Forums