Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #1

Need help with Lighting issue

Got in my car tonight to drive back into the city. Went to turn headlights on.......NOTHING. Checked the fuses, they were fine. The headlight switch did not illuminate. The only thing that was on were the "dim" lights in front. When I pulled back on the highbeam lever the high beams would go on, but when I pushed the lever forward to permenantly have them stay on they would not work. The same thing goes for the front fogs. I drove around the neighborhood and when I got half way around the headlight switch illuminated and the headlights came on. The last thing I need is for them to go off while I am driving at night. Does anyone have any idea on what caused this, or how I can fix it????? Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way

Old 04-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #2

There's a good chance whenever weird, random electrical problems occur, that it can be traced to a bad ignition switch. It' s possible to do a DIY for about $30.00. Search here and www.renntech.org for a description.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #3

it would have somethign to do with the ignition, not the actual headlight knob/switch???
Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull27
it would have somethign to do with the ignition, not the actual headlight knob/switch???
It could still be the headlight knob/switch but in my case, my car would always start but sometimes the lights wouldn't come on until I jiggled the switch, left and right. I lived with it that way for a little while before I replaced the ignition switch. However, it was always in the back of mind, "what if the lights don't come on this time?" If you get the chance to read a few threads on failing ignition switches, you will see that it appears that the Boxster is possessed by evil spirits by the way it behaves when the switch is bad for some owners.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #5

Ha HA I like the evil spirts thing. It might be the ignition switch. My radio does not go off automatically when I shut the car off, nor does it turn on automatically. Is it the whole cylinder? I know the the switch on the very back of the cylinder was replaced when I bought it.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull27
Ha HA I like the evil spirts thing. It might be the ignition switch. My radio does not go off automatically when I shut the car off, nor does it turn on automatically. Is it the whole cylinder? I know the the switch on the very back of the cylinder was replaced when I bought it.

I just did the ignition switch itself. The whole cylinder swap out cost about $400 (?) at the dealer.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #7

Ok Now Its Not Just Lighting!!!!

Originally it was the headlight that would not turn on. Driving back from work today headlights are fine, but the seat warmers, blower fan for heat, and windshield wipers were not working. halfway home they magically all came back on. Need some advice on what it might be, do not want to bring it to the shop and have them start telling me it is this and that and give me the run around. ANY IDEAS???????
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #8

So..... called the Porshe dealership Rietzel(westwood, MASS) asked for a quote on an ignition switch and oil change, $200 for switch and $210 for oil change. I decided to bring it to Randolph Racing in Stoughton, MA that does all Porshe's and specializes in rebuilding/modifying Porshes for the track. Had my girlfriend pick up the car this afternoon when I got home the bill was for $300, and a note that said "vehicle does not need oil change." It has been 7-8000 miles since my last oil change, so i am thinking this is kinda strange. Also the dealership quoted me 100 bucks less than this guy did the switch for. I brought my car there previously for the 30,000 service and was way less than the dealership. He said it took him 3 and half hrs to put that switch in. Lindove pissed off about this and before I go in and explode on this guy, please give me some insight on how much this "should" have cost and how long it "actually" takes to do this switch. Thanks