986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Benefits of S muffler on a Base (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57984)

TypeA 07-19-2015 01:30 PM

Benefits of S muffler on a Base

I searched and couldnt find much on this subject, it mostly about aftermarket mufflers, so thought I would post a couple questions. Purchased Chard's smoked OEM tails and noticed he has a 2000 OEM S muffler for $50. Now I figure shipping from Hi to Or will be expensive (shipping on the pair of tail lights was $63 :eek:) but if the muffler was only $50 it might still be a worthy upgrade for me even with shipping. So my questions....from what Ive read it will bolt right into a 2002 base, is that correct? No kit required? Second, and I searched youtube and found nothing, will it improve the exhaust sound? Really thats what Id like is a better sound. Any other benefits, slight increase in HP? Or are we talking a $200 upgrade for slightly prettier exhaust tips???? What would you do?

lkchris 07-19-2015 02:48 PM

Same thing, just different pipes. For 2003-4 you just bolt on whichever tip you want

rfuerst911sc 07-19-2015 04:00 PM

The S muffler flows well per Jake Raby but it is VERY HEAVY ! So any HP gain ( minimal ) will be offset by the weight in my opinion.

911monty 07-19-2015 05:40 PM

TypeA I just completed this mod to my 98 base, so maybe I can offer my opinion. First in answer to your question as I did research this is yes the mufflers use the same mounts from 00 to 04, so you can use any of these years mufflers. If you are wanting a different sound then you probably need to look for an 03 to 04 S muffler. I understand the factory made some internal mods on those years. I put the 03 S muff on my 98 base and I can say the idle is deeper and louder with no drone and the weight is difference is insignificant. Now for the subjective part since I did not see a need to dyno the car pre or post but wish I had. The car power band seems to have changed. I now feel there is more low end torque and possibly a loss on the top end horsepower. I did not expect this and it may be due to the change in exhaust note, but pre swap the car wound to redline with an F1 type howl at top end and I had to concentrate on shift point to prevent over rev. Loved that hi perf sound! The first few shifts post swap I found I was shifting at around 5900 rpm. Now I have to consciously hold off on shift to get to 6500 rpm and the wonderful F1 howl is gone. If my subjective analysis of my car is correct then the muffler would have to increased the velocity of the exhaust gasses to increase torque. This is adverse to what I thought would have been increased flow and increased horsepower. I would certainly like to hear any and all thoughts from the forum on this. Flame on!

Topless 07-20-2015 02:30 PM

Not an unexpected result 911monty. "More free flowing" does not always mean more power if the exhaust tuning changes significantly. It's a physics thing.

For the best bang for the buck I think the Pedro PSE mod results in a slightly louder and more angry sounding exhaust without nasty drone or torpedoing the Porsche tuning.

TypeA 07-20-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 458020)
For the best bang for the buck I think the Pedro PSE mod results in a slightly louder and more angry sounding exhaust without nasty drone or torpedoing the Porsche tuning.

While I have the upmost respect for Pedro and his cool mods, and I have no doubt his PSE works as advertised, Im not real fond of the aesthetics of this particular mod. His Hi-Flo Intake mod is on my to-do list tho.

Thanks to all four of you for the input on this thread. Its been educational but I think Ill pass on any exhaust mods for the near future.

Pirate50 07-20-2015 07:31 PM

Off topic, but it's good to see another Portland member on here once in a while.

AaronPDX 07-20-2015 09:26 PM

Off-off-topic, but hello fellow Portlanders!

Perfectlap 07-21-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 457956)
The S muffler flows well per Jake Raby but it is VERY HEAVY ! So any HP gain ( minimal ) will be offset by the weight in my opinion.

Okay so I wasn't going nuts. When that thing came off to make way for the Fabspeed I was thought to myself this thing is way too heavy to be on a small sports car... Sitting side by side you have thought the stock exhaust was going into a Ford Taurus and the Fabspeed into a Focus.

lkchris 07-21-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 457956)

It's the exact same muffler as the base muffler, save for the exit tips.

As for heavy, ha ha ...

From Porsche Boxster Story by Paul Frere ...

Quote:

The silencer is a double-skinned rustproof steel unit. It is rigidly bolted to the gearbox because the entire rubber mounted engine, gearbox and exhaust unit is used as a vibration damper for the entire car structure.
"Light" probably means "drone" then, right?

TypeA 07-21-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronPDX (Post 458037)
Off-off-topic, but hello fellow Portlanders!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate50 (Post 458034)
Off topic, but it's good to see another Portland member on here once in a while.

Indeed great to see locals :D Either of you members of the ORPCA? Im still debating joining and the benefits thereof.