Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you ever stall?
No never. 12 33.33%
occasionally, when i'm not concentrating, once a week? 24 66.67%
alot - more than I care to admit, more than once week. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #21

Garage
Only the first time i drove it. Put it into 3rd instead of first on an uphill.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #22
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
This is an interesting question. I will say I rarely stall in forward gears...What I will say is when backing up steep driveway and simultaneously maneuvering car to not drag bottom, it seems to pull a lot of power from car and seems engine has quite a load on it. This is the time the engine most wants to stall. Car seems to not like low speed backing maneuvers. I'm curious if anyone else notices this?
Funny you mention this. This is the situation where I'll stall mine; while reversing into the garage. It's a slight uphill slope and that's where it will happen.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Funny you mention this. This is the situation where I'll stall mine; while reversing into the garage. It's a slight uphill slope and that's where it will happen.
Strange isn't it? Like my engine has less power in reverse, I have to blip throttle and work the clutch even as I transition from upslope to downslope.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #24

Sheesh. I stalled last time I drove the Boxster. It's been a while since I've been behind the wheel and I'm out of practice!!!!!!!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #25
Toppy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
I only seem to stall in reverse as well
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #26

I am not a fan of electronic gas pedal and hydraulic clutch. I stall the Boxster at least once every thousand miles. My 1974 rarely ever. I like the feel of clutch cable and throttle rod much better.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #27
Rookie

Garage
I drive CDL for a living, 80,000 pounds with a 10 speed manual (mainly city driving). Ive owned other manual transmission sports cars in the past, and Im pretty good at anything with a stick regardless of the weight of the vehicle or the terrain involved, but Ive never drove anything as fickle as a manual Boxster. I will say that I love how light the clutch is, every time I have to drive the wife's manual 2012 WRX it reminds how much I love the Box. Occasionally was my vote...
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #28

Once a year and only when somebody else is in the car of course! "Uhhh that never happens."

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocartfe2 View Post
I am not a fan of electronic gas pedal and hydraulic clutch. I stall the Boxster at least once every thousand miles. My 1974 rarely ever. I like the feel of clutch cable and throttle rod much better.
I think that's it! I have driven older 911's and many other sticks that have cable or rod gas pedal linkages and never had a problem - something about that electric connection seems to make the pedal very 'fickle!' (That's a good word)
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #30

The first car I ever owned was a 1st Gen Mr2 (fell in live with mid engine set up). The entire time I owned the car it had an issue with what I believe was the idle control valve. Basically it would not idle. Once the choke wore off after the engine heated up the revs would just fall off and the car would stall unless you gave it gas. So had to do a lot of three pedal footwork. At a stop light my left foot was on the clutch and my right foot was on the brake and the gas. After a few months of driving like this I prided myself as a master manual driver(like every 18 year old with an old sports car prob). If I could drive that car without stalling I would never stall a car the idled properly. But even after I moved on to other manual cars I still stall on occasion. I think a couple times a year is a good estimate. Just not paying attention for a split second. I think we all pride ourselves on not stalling as it is kind of macho to say " I NEVER STALL" but it happens and it is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #31

I never stall… but in the first few weeks of ownership I remember stalling.

The Boxster has a hole in the power curve that makes you have to rev higher to get into first. If you are used to driving any other manual you can easily stall it. I remember reading about it in early reviews. So.. it's not you.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I never stall… but in the first few weeks of ownership I remember stalling.

The Boxster has a hole in the power curve that makes you have to rev higher to get into first. If you are used to driving any other manual you can easily stall it. I remember reading about it in early reviews. So.. it's not you.
Hole in the power curve? I'm curious. Do others have this issue? I don't. The Boxster is one of those cars that you can get moving from a stop without even touching the gas. In teaching my daughter to drive it was one of the things I should her to get over the fear of stalling/over revving it from a start.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
When I used to wear flip flops.

Now if I have foo flips on for driving I go bare foot. :rolleyes
Got myself a pair of driving shoes that I can wear to the office without looking like I'm headed to the track. This should work working then bare foot. Dress shoes aren't always the best for foot work.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #34
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Hole in the power curve? I'm curious. Do others have this issue? I don't. The Boxster is one of those cars that you can get moving from a stop without even touching the gas. In teaching my daughter to drive it was one of the things I should her to get over the fear of stalling/over revving it from a start.
Youre lucky. My base 02 will stall every time if not given gas, even on flat ground and feathering it. New clutch at 104k and its still like that today at 110k. Never been fond of it as it does use up the clutch prematurely.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:

Mine is the same. If you are slow enough off the clutch you don't even need to give the car gas.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #36

It took me a while to get used to the clutch, and I stalled it once in the first few days. Just sort of drifting helplessly into an intersection..
Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #37

Only when stressed. Which naturally are the most embarrassing times.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #38

Garage
of course. no one is perfect. I have to park my car in a garage that I have to stop, apply the parking brake, get out, open the garage door, get back in and remove the parking brake. and about 50 out of 100 times, i stall.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Youre lucky. My base 02 will stall every time if not given gas, even on flat ground and feathering it. New clutch at 104k and its still like that today at 110k. Never been fond of it as it does use up the clutch prematurely.
Yep. EVERYONE i teach to drive the Boxster I instruct to overrev to start out, otherwise the seasoned person feathers the clutch out to keep from stalling and can still fail....
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Got myself a pair of driving shoes that I can wear to the office without looking like I'm headed to the track. This should work working then bare foot. Dress shoes aren't always the best for foot work.

.....stop! Wait ....Grooovy baby! These are out of sight my man...

Last edited by jaykay; 08-05-2015 at 07:29 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote