Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Rear Trunk Randomly Opening

Thought I was going crazy on this one. 2000 Boxster S with manual release front/rear trunks and electric release rear on key fob.

After picking up the car and on the six hour drive home I kept getting out to an open trunk. I thought - you must keep pushing the trunk button when you start the car. The key fob at that time was completely worn and I couldn't tell what was what with the car being new to me.

Well, replaced the key fob bits and have been more careful. But, nope still happening. Now I am thinking I am an idiot, and starting the other day decided I would begin a routine of starting the car, checking the trunk lid, getting to the destination, checking the trunk lid, and turning off the car.

However, had a friend come in and wasn't really thinking about it. Took him for a drive, we did two quick drive errands and no lid popping. Then took the car on a spirited drive and after 45 mins got home to a popped trunk. Was out of the car with it still running as we juggled cars in the driveway and chatting with him - closed the trunk and as we are standing back there it reopens on its own. Key still in the ignition.

I am assuming now that either the solenoid is going and when it gets hot back there its triggering, or there is a heat related short that is occurring. Was going to pull the trunk apart today and try to disconnect the solenoid. Anyone else have this issue or heard of this before? I haven't found much from searching around. Only other thing I can think is its the latch mechanism itself that is impacted by the heat - or - the trunk needs some sort of adjustment.

Thanks!

DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Managed to solve this today. I am guessing the previous owner had the spoiler off at some point, as there was tape on one of the allen bolts securing the black metal frame to the posts. And, my guess is when they were reassembling they pinched a wire for the solenoid. When I tore it apart, the blue/black striped wire had a small nick, and when I grounded it out it triggered the solenoid. Taped it up and reassembled. 30 second fix, an hour to disassemble and reassemble, then 30 mins to realign the spoiler. But, $0 fix!
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Glad you fixed it, but I'm sticking with a ghost in the machine.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

Garage
I was going to ask if you heard the solenoid release. I guess it did.

BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote